Help support TMP

"How should one pronounce "keil"?" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

Action Log

10 Aug 2012 6:11 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "How shoudl one pronounce "keil"?" to "How should one pronounce "keil"?"

1,150 hits since 9 Aug 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Lentulus10 Aug 2012 5:00 p.m. PST

As in "Pike Keil"? I've been assuming it's a German word, so simple long "i", but I have been wrong before.

captain canada Inactive Member10 Aug 2012 5:23 p.m. PST

Keel

Personal logo RavenscraftCybernetics Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 5:32 p.m. PST

Mrs Cybernetics says its kyle but it could go either way dialectically.

Baggy Sausage Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 5:50 p.m. PST

It is pronounced "Smith." Everything is silent.

Happy Little Trees Inactive Member10 Aug 2012 5:51 p.m. PST

I've always heard it as 'Keel'.

But what do I know-until this week, I though Sikh was pronounced 'seek' not 'sic'. Stupid way to find out.

abelp0110 Aug 2012 6:09 p.m. PST

Throat warbler mangrove? I dunno…

Billiam Inactive Member10 Aug 2012 6:41 p.m. PST

We have a professor in my department with the last name Keil. He pronounces it as "Kyle". Which is annoying, since he's an oceanography prof and "keel" would be far more appropriate.

SonofThor10 Aug 2012 7:20 p.m. PST

I thought it was "keel" as well.

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 8:02 p.m. PST

no doubt in different regions it may be pronounced differently..so draw your own conclusions 'ecky thump

Mark Plant10 Aug 2012 8:44 p.m. PST

Are there regional difference to how "Seig Heil" was pronounced? I sure haven't heard any.

If it was said "keel", would it not be spelled Kiel, like the port?

Puster Supporting Member of TMP10 Aug 2012 9:24 p.m. PST

kyle

Though the term was not really used by Landsknechts, it is a military formation that means "wedge". If pronounced in German, "kyle" is the way.

keel / Kiel has no relation to military formations in German, just to the city and the keel. If you pronounce it this way its definitely wrong.

Ilodic11 Aug 2012 9:42 a.m. PST

This link should put the argument to rest.

link

ilodic

Personal logo Klebert L Hall Supporting Member of TMP11 Aug 2012 12:58 p.m. PST

Beef Wellington.
-Kle.

Mako11 Supporting Member of TMP11 Aug 2012 7:30 p.m. PST

Usually, in English, as in German, the last letter of the two-letter vowel combination dictates the pronunciation, in most cases, so Kiel would be pronounce Keel, while Keil would be pronounced Kyle.

Summsi72 Inactive Member12 Aug 2012 11:15 a.m. PST

I am german and I can tell you it is pronounced "Kyle". And there shouldn´t be any regional differences.

Rudi the german12 Aug 2012 2:14 p.m. PST

Keil…. Very simpel. :)

And here some more tough words:

And now the next word: Balkenkreuz….
Sonderkraftfahrzeug
Schmeisser Maschienenpistole

Etc….

Keraunos Inactive Member13 Aug 2012 5:29 a.m. PST

is there a swiss-german word pronunciation to be aware of?

I only know the word in a swiss context, so I do not know whether that has any effect on pronunciation, but I would certainly lean to that if there were.

Yesthatphil13 Aug 2012 11:26 a.m. PST

No.

The question has been answered fully and completely already ('kyle'). Only wargamers could find a debate in it.

WCTFreak15 Aug 2012 12:05 p.m. PST

not really swiss pronunciation would be quite hard to immitate for an english guy…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.