Help support TMP

"Starting DBA and finding armies" Topic

20 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the DBx Message Board

902 hits since 29 Jul 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Scott Kursk29 Jul 2012 4:31 p.m. PST

So I did a lot of looking and ended up really liking the DBA and HOTT rules.

I'm going to be doing a few armies for myself and a couple friends that are willing to give it a go. Who has good assortments of "premade" or pre sorted out 15mm DBA armies? These are the deepest in the historicals that I've gone army wise and like the idea of someone else having done some of the footwork before me for my first couple armies.

From looking, I've noticed a ridiculous assortment of people that offer ancient sets so I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'd appreciate some guidance.

Mandy Potemkin29 Jul 2012 4:45 p.m. PST

Essex are good

Personal logo rampantlion Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2012 4:51 p.m. PST

I second Essex, they have a large selection of DBA armies and their figures are still pretty good compared to the best out there.

Allen

Personal logo McWong73 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2012 4:53 p.m. PST

Corvus Belli do box sets for DBA, and the figures are excellent. You can get a good selection of "classic" ancient armies including Carthaginians, Early Imperial Romans, Britons, Gauls/Celts, Ancient Spanish, Numidians and they also have a good range of Hundred Years War (classic medieval).

For Crusades I'd heartily reccomend Legio Heroica in Italy, best 15mm (large 15mm though) Crusades ranges available, though no box set per se. I'd contact them to see what they can do, very helpful though english isn't the first language. They're on a bit of a break with a house move I think, but if Crusades interests you they're the go to source for figures.

You can't go wrong with starting with a Roman set and Gaul/Celt set from Corvus Belli, everything you need is in the box ready to go – just add paint and you're playing in no time.

Sundance Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2012 5:26 p.m. PST

Essex and Corvus Belli both do nice sets.

Personal logo Dervel Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Jul 2012 5:36 p.m. PST

Essex has the biggest selection, Corvus are beautiful….

Essex frequently offers 3 for the price of 2 army deals.

Personal logo Who asked this joker Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2012 5:48 p.m. PST

Essex is a fine company. The ranges are very complete. They mix well with Corvus Bellies and others.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2012 5:52 p.m. PST

I used to think very well of Essex when I dabbled 15mm, and their line is huge.

Be advised, of course, that along with the changes to the rules coming up, the army lists will be undergoing revision. For the existing lists, there are often painted DBA armies available in various places, including the marketplace here and eBay. I'd start, though, by taking a peek at the Fanaticus website. Lots of folks sell of unwanted (for whatever reason) armies there.

Doug
(who would suggest also looking into 6mm on 15mm (or even 25mm) scale bases, which makes a piddling 12 elements look like an army – check out the Baccus website for examples)

miniMo Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2012 7:09 p.m. PST

Splintered Light Miniatures has a couple of very nice boxed sets.

Baueda has a couple of nice lines, but Vikings are their only boxed set.

dam040929 Jul 2012 7:29 p.m. PST

I will reinforce Corvus Belli in 15mm and I know that the Warstore has armies in stock
link

Inari729 Jul 2012 10:16 p.m. PST

Rudy Nelson on this forum has in the past made DBA armies out of Old Glory Figures, at great prices.

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2012 10:22 p.m. PST

If you want information about particular armies, do source the Fanaticus Resource page. It is not only eye candy, but there are very useful articles covering the most popular armies.

link

Cheers,

Kmfisher29 Jul 2012 11:30 p.m. PST

I recently found myself in the same position.

I'd second Bueda, Corvus Belli, and add Xyston as well. All make great figures and have boxed sets available.

But for my money I went with Baccus at 25mm scale. Great service, good figures, and IMHO nothing beats the look of massed 6mm armies facing off. They're also really quick to paint.

Yesthatphil30 Jul 2012 3:36 a.m. PST

As Doug says, there are some changes that may affect some V3 armies.

Look at the Fanaticus armies link for inspiration.

Essex do make reliable if boring figures. Their horses are too big (especially for the pukka ancients period) but a lot of people like them.

If the Early Roman or Medieval periods are on your list take a look at the real beauties from Mirliton. link
The Mirliton medievals are some of the finest 15mm figures ever made and are pretty much the right size too …
Have a browse here: link

Also worth a look are the Joseph Ochmann ranges from Black Hat (formerly Gladiator/formerly Metal Magic) and the growing choices from Lurkio

(I happily mix any of the above as they share a similar size and a similar 'lighter' rather than 'chunkier' sculpting) …

Also good: New Era Donnington, CB, Chariot, etc.

Phil
Ancients on the Move

kreoseus2 Inactive Member30 Jul 2012 5:36 a.m. PST

Magister militum have a very nice DBA listing.

Ammianus30 Jul 2012 7:25 a.m. PST

Probably your cheapest, easiest approach for 2 starter armies would be Essex….then branch out afterwards.

Personal logo Bobgnar Supporting Member of TMP31 Jul 2012 8:18 p.m. PST

I will not be making up any new DBA armies until after 3 is published. In the meantime I will make practice armies out of card, with names on them. A good way to learn the game with minimal expense.

Scott Kursk01 Aug 2012 11:25 a.m. PST

I've plowed through the rulebook and must say I really like it. Bonus is, I found a pretty decent sized group of people locally that play.
Thanks again to everyone for the really great advice. Now I only have to sell off my FoW Soviets and my Space Marines and I can get building….

Keraunos Inactive Member02 Aug 2012 3:59 a.m. PST

Don't forget that Xyston offer DBA packs for all of their ranges

excellent figures there too.

HarryHotspurEsq Supporting Member of TMP16 Aug 2012 6:12 a.m. PST

I'd certainly promote Xyston pre-made armies for various Greek city-states, Pesia, Thrace, Bithynia etc.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.