Help support TMP

"Field of Glory Renaissance basing" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

849 hits since 26 Jul 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Lentulus Supporting Member of TMP26 Jul 2012 12:32 p.m. PST

I am deeply interested in late 15th and early 16th century Italy. Which puts me on the boundary between FoG and FoG:R of course.

Are there significant basing differences in basing between the two rules (at least for the troops that would matter for this period) for the 28mm basing standard? I ask because there was, after all, a difference between WRG DBM and DBR rules and most FoG bases seem to cleave to those base sizes (for obvious reasons of course).

Just to prove I am nuts, I *am* strongly considering mounting my 15mm troops on 28mm standard bases. There are no other FoG players here and I like a "Big Unit" look.

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member26 Jul 2012 1:25 p.m. PST

I think you don't see the 15mm depth basing in FoG: R. By the way, you are free to put less or more figures on a stand, the number of figures is a suggestion and eases identifying in the original FoG rules. I do believe that you see a lot of two per base on non-light cavalry in FoG: R too. Sorry, I don't have the rules in front of me and I still need to read FoG closer (got some rules memorized wrong) and have only read through the FoG: R once. madaxeman.com is your resource by the way.

Personal logo Steve Supporting Member of TMP26 Jul 2012 1:40 p.m. PST

There are no (or at least very little) difference in base sizes so no need to worry.

Steve

batesmotel3426 Jul 2012 2:09 p.m. PST

The only difference is that FoG-R recommends the same base depth for all foot rather than using shallower depth for HF as in FoG-AM but either will work in both rule sets. (DBR similarly differed from DBM.) FoG-R almost certainly works better for the Italian Wars even for the period before the official start date of 1500.

Chris

Puster Supporting Member of TMP26 Jul 2012 2:42 p.m. PST

You can use FOG-R from the Burgundian wars on, with minor modifications for the army lists. Its pretty weired to use FOG for the Italian wars, on the other hand, as the interaction of pikeblocks, handguns, artillery and heavy cavalry does not reflect these later wars, so I would recommend FOGR.

As already mentioned, the only difference is that A uses less depth for heavy infantry, but the depth is a minor issue anyway – and you can always use 2 for 3 when it matters to someone.

Personal logo Lentulus Supporting Member of TMP26 Jul 2012 10:00 p.m. PST

I think I will make the FoG:R investment. But thanks for the info that lets me get a head start on basing.

Shardik27 Jul 2012 3:06 a.m. PST

I prefer FOGR to FOG. Not sure why, perhaps because shooting is deadlier and discrete units seem to make more sense in FOGR

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.