Help support TMP

"Does Fields of Glory Renaissance work with 400 pt forces?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the English Civil War Message Board

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

647 hits since 25 Jul 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

bong6726 Jul 2012 11:01 a.m. PST

Hi,
I'm doing the preliminary research for an ECW project based on the campaign of Montrose. I plan on using the Pike and Shot rules but if I don't like them or find them unsuitable I'm thinking of using Fields of Glory Renaissance instead.
I want to base my campaign around the Montrose scenarios in the Partzan ECW scenario books. When I cost out each side for the Alford scenario using the lists and points values in the FoGR Wars of Religion book both armies come to about 400 points. However, both the Covenanter and Scots Royalist starter armies come to 600 points.
Will FoGR give a workable game with armies based on about 400 points? Most scenarios in the book will be with armies of that size (or less).
Hope someone can help.
All the best,
George.

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP26 Jul 2012 12:26 p.m. PST

I don't see a problem with it. Are you adding in the points for all of the generals? You might find some additional points there….

balticbattles26 Jul 2012 12:45 p.m. PST

Hi George,

It gives a workable game with very small armies. Dice come into it more, so a very bad result somewhere is less likely to be cancelled out elsewhere, becuase you are rolling fewer dice.

I like to do exact numbers for historical units by fiddling with unit layouts, others have done it with standard unit sizes but adjusting the quality.

bong6726 Jul 2012 12:54 p.m. PST

Hi,
My points totals included a 50 pt general and two 35 pt troop commanders for each force.
However it's good to to know that FoGR will probably work. The games don't have to be long (I've heard that a 600 pt game takes over two hours and I'd only have about that much time so shorter might be better) but they would have to be playable within the format of the rules.
Thanks to both of you for your excellent help.
All the best,
George.

Shardik27 Jul 2012 2:08 a.m. PST

Try it and see, at that size it shouldn't take long

Personal logo madaxeman Supporting Member of TMP29 Jul 2012 9:58 a.m. PST

link

Thats reports from a competition at 500ap…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.