Help support TMP

"2 rules questions." Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

343 hits since 24 Jul 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Quadratus24 Jul 2012 5:45 a.m. PST

1. Fragmented troops cannot charge. but can they walk into a combat as an overlap? nothing says they can't.

2. combat and I am the non active player. I have a 5 base unit in contact with an enemy on mu rightmost base that is only 1 base my center bases are 2 deep and count as my overlap. my leftmost bases (2) are out of combat. The enemy does not expand in his turn. Am I allowed to shift 1 base from my left to my right? This is technically not a contraction and I am not matching any enemy expansion, but I am moving more combatants into the fray.

I wish I had a picture it would have made explaining a lot easier.

thanks for any help

Matt

Yesthatphil24 Jul 2012 6:14 a.m. PST

1. it would take a CMT (to get closer)

2. You can move move a non contributing base into a contributing position in that way instead of expanding

grin I think …

Quadratus24 Jul 2012 6:26 a.m. PST

I think so too.

But. it is technically not an expansion or a contraction because the facing of the unit isn't shrinking or growing. Rules lawyers love to argue this. I wonder if it is made clear at any point?

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP24 Jul 2012 7:53 a.m. PST

You can only move in your phase, not your opponents unless you move to match up to his expansions. You have to wait till your turn based on the information and what you are asking, I believe. It doesn't matter whether you actually aren't adding into the combat. It has to be your phase to move.

Yesthatphil24 Jul 2012 10:15 a.m. PST

Unfortunately ancientsgamer doesn't have this right. You can move bases around whichever turn it is and you do have to be adding to the combat effect.

The only 'whose turn?' restriction is that re expansions the non-active player can only expand to match an active player's expansion or an existing overlap.

Re contracting (subject to the usual 'contributing' conditions etc.) it specifically says 'either player can contract' …

But on the substantive point, I take Quadratus's point about a partial contraction. I think you can do this, but I'm kinda waiting for Hammy to show up :o)

Phil

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP26 Jul 2012 2:19 p.m. PST

In the opponents turn, you can only do it if the opponent is overlapping you on the side you are shifting bases to. You cannot shift bases to create an overlap in the opponents turn.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.