Help support TMP

"AAR: Centauri x Narn" Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

829 hits since 20 Jul 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

matgc83 Inactive Member20 Jul 2012 7:26 p.m. PST

Check the latest AAR of Pax Stellarum on my blog:
link

picture

picture

John Treadaway21 Jul 2012 3:24 a.m. PST

That's a superb looking game. Well done!

John T

Alcibiades Supporting Member of TMP21 Jul 2012 6:36 a.m. PST

Very nice indeed. You are providing the inspiration to dust off my B5 fleets which haven't seen action in a long time. Looking forward to reading/playing your rules.

Cheers
Kent

Tim White Supporting Member of TMP21 Jul 2012 7:37 a.m. PST

Fantastic minis and AAR as always matgc83.

-Tim

Feet up now21 Jul 2012 10:40 a.m. PST

A very good report and well set out .thanks for putting these sworn enemies up against each other.

cool paint jobs all round too.

shadow101 Inactive Member21 Jul 2012 1:50 p.m. PST

great battle report, nice to see narns vs centauri, maybe one of these days, the narns will actually win.

John Leahy Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jul 2012 2:19 p.m. PST

I loved our Centauri vs Narn battles. We used Starmada. They really were brutal. It's a shame Bab5 has such low visibility now. The ship battles were great and the actual models are excellent. The G'quan is one of my all time favorite ship designs.

Nice looking battle report!

Thanks,

John

John Treadaway22 Jul 2012 8:01 a.m. PST

It's a shame Bab5 has such low visibility now. The ship battles were great and the actual models are excellent

I endorse those comments 100%, John L

John T

wargame insomniac22 Jul 2012 12:54 p.m. PST

+1 with John L and John T.

Love Babylon 5, love the Centauri, some great painted ships there.

Cheers

James

billclo Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2013 4:40 a.m. PST

What purple did you use to achieve that awesome Centauri ship color?

TheBeast Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2013 5:54 a.m. PST

I know the rules are 'right there' to print out (fair warning, at 134 pages, there's obviously a LOT of work there.)

However (hate that word following praise), a bit more mechanics from the rules in the AAR would be useful. Mind you, I just complained that folks expecting you to buy rule sets do worse(at least you mentioned things like shields and hulls and initial and final states, and crit hits on the 'TCS'.

A bit on how maneuvering happens as you are mentioning the maneuver seems not amiss.

I will point out how everyone who does download the rules needs to view the last page, where Tim White is thanked and praised for assistance, a nice bit of 'interstellar amity' there. ;->=

And, yes, damn, those ships look GOOD.

Doug

matgc83 Inactive Member12 Mar 2013 7:05 a.m. PST

Now, that`s odd!

I just came here to post a new topic about my most recent AAR which, coincidentally, is also about narns and centauri (I can`t help if I love those guys…) and I see this thread necromanced. :-)

Anyway, I guess I'll post the link to the AAR on my blog on this thread, here, as creating another one with the very same title (or something quite close) seems kind of trolling.

Here is the link:
link

Teasing pictures:

picture

picture

@TheBeast:

Tim White had a major role in developing this system, his help was truly invaluable. Giving him due credit was the least I could do. ;-)

As for rules insight, there is something more on the latest Batrep, but let`s get to your specific questions:

Movement: each ship may travel on one of 3 modes: adrift, low thrust and high thrust. The mode you are on determines how fast you can move and how sharp you can turn.

Turning is performed by moving a certain number of inches forward and then rotating up to a given number of degrees. So, for instance, a ship may have Turning rating 1"90, while other, much bulkier ship, may have instead a rating 5"30.

Shields work by rolling D6. You may roll a number of D6 equal to the ship rating for that system. Each result that equals or exceeds the Fire Power of one hit cancels it. Therefore, high fire power weapons are harder to stop.

Shields rating drop during game according to the amount of fire power that impacts them. So, even though they may prevent a certain hit from damaging the hull, that fire power may cost the shields 1 point of rating or 2.

Shields replentish by 1 point on each end phase.

The basic mechanic of targeting involves detecting the enemy vessel. Each ship has a Sensors Rating and a Signature. Your sensors rating will determine the maximum distance you can detect each level of signature from enemy ships, in an extremely simple mechanic that requires no memorizing or bookeeping. Just elementary math.

Multiply you sensors rating by each signature level. This is the maximum distance you can detect that signature at.

Thus:
Sensors 5x can detect signature 2 ships at 10".
Sensors 5x can detect signature 3 ships at 15".
And so on.

Andrewdrexler Inactive Member12 Mar 2013 8:51 a.m. PST

Its easy to forget how sexy these miniatures were, until you see them all painted up and on a table like this..

Now where did I put that box of Vorlons at….

billclo Supporting Member of TMP12 Mar 2013 10:42 a.m. PST

matgc83,

How did you achieve that great purple paintjob on the Centauri vessels?

I am considering borrowing a similar paint scheme to do my Starline 2500 Kzinti ships. :)

matgc83 Inactive Member13 Mar 2013 4:26 a.m. PST

@billclo,

It was done using a mix of a couple paint to achieve the right shade of purple (cant remember which particular paints)`, then washing to give depth to details, and finally highlighting the edges. No secrets. ;-)

billclo Supporting Member of TMP13 Mar 2013 8:36 a.m. PST

Okay, I'll wing it then. Thanks anyways. This is why I take notes, so when someone asks me how I did something, I can look at them. Or if I take a break for awhile when doing a particular faction, and then come back to them I can look at my notes so there's consistency. :)

Buckaroo14 Mar 2013 10:15 a.m. PST

beautiful beautiful ships! looks like an exciting game!
looking forward to seeing more.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.