Help support TMP

"Hammer's Slammers: The Crucible July game in 15mm AAR" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Battle Reports Message Board

522 hits since 17 Jul 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

John Treadaway17 Jul 2012 2:21 a.m. PST

I wanted to try out my newly painted Sincanmo Federation (Trained, 2 detachments of 15TUs each) versus my friend Kevin Dallimore's Alaudae Legion (Elite, 2 detachments of 8Tus each). The Sincanmo had Chief Diabate as a special leader (Leadership 10LPs and we allocated Colonel Dark to the Alaudae (leadership 12LPs and Elite Skill Tactical Genius). We also invoked the Optional Rule Leading from the front as Chief Diabate's vehicle is a bit obvious (and therefore a fire magnet!). This gives him an additional 2 Leadership points.

picture

I used the new scenery I'd just built as a small industrial area in a fairly desert and the Sincanmo deployed in a defensive formation with two hidden snipers and dared the Alaudae to wheedle them out. The elite Alaudae forces won initiative for the first round with one detachment but the Sincanmo forfeited their second unit's initiative to enable them to spring snipers spotting for ATGW teams – this meant that they held their fire but offering up their initiative meant that the Sincanmo lost more than half a dozen TUs in the first turn before they even got to fire. But fire they did and losses the Alaudae took – some 4 TUs due to ATGW fire designated by the hidden snipers.

picture

In doing so, one of the snipers was detected by the Alaudae and paid the price for it – in the second turn he was close assaulted in the undergrowth by Alaudae infantry and killed. But for the first turn the Snipers were invaluable, enabling missile systems they were designating for to remain out of the line of fire.

The Alaudae right wing with its Scarab tank destroyers and Firefly light tanks invoked the ‘Follow Me' optional rule and their leader charged forward with 5 vehicles following him crossing the road and moving across the open ground and shallow water with no penalties to hamper their movement but the Lieutenant in charge paid the ultimate price for it with his vehicle taken out by multiple ATGW hits, so reducing his detachment to a sergeant for leadership: such is the penalty for leading from the front…

picture

The first turn had seen the Aluadae lose their Damselfly ATGW support vehicle and a tank to missile fire plus some infantry but Sincanmo losses were 50% higher.

In the second and third turns, however, the Alaudae used their superior leadership to move forward and destroy any remaining ATGW systems – and even the Sincanmo's Buzzbomb carrying infantry. The Sincanmo ATGW vehicles had been forced to move into better – and more direct – firing positions after losing one of their designating snipers and fell prey to the laser fire of the Alaudae who – although they could keep their light lasers in reserve to take out incoming ATGWs, chose to move and fire first destroying vehicles which had already launched their missiles, forcing them to lose lock when destroyed.

picture

The Sincanmo Buzzbomb teams had taken the main gun off of a tank, the short-range warhead getting past the vehicles Drozd anti-missile defense system but all to no avail.

After more Sincanmo losses in turn 3, finally – at the end of turn 4 – the Sincanmo's morale broke and Chief Diabate beat a hasty retreat taking most of his forces with him. Those they stayed behind surrendered.

picture

Conclusion: the Sincanmo were always on a sticky wicket: they outnumbered the Alaudae but were out pointed by them considerably. If they had achieved more initiative wins they might have made a couple of more kills (and – on that basis – allowing the Alaudae a special leader was probably unnecessary!) but the Sincamo would have had to have been luckier than they were – and, conversely, the Aluadae would have had to have been very unlucky for the result to have turned out any differently.

More pictures here link

John Treadaway
hammers-slammers.com

earthad Supporting Member of TMP17 Jul 2012 3:49 a.m. PST

awesome pictures!

Just bought the game myself. what an awesome game.
Can't wait to give it a spin. Seems ideal for 6mm 8)

John Treadaway17 Jul 2012 3:54 a.m. PST

Hope you like it Earthad, and glad you liked the look of the game we did. It works in a umber of scales (see the game I did last week TMP link ) but – on mention of 6mm – I always do this:

picture

But I'm a predictable sort of guy… grin

The game focuses on leadership as the prime factor and – although the technology is important – I'd say it's the flavoring rather than the prime mover: there's certainly no 'killer' weapons or weapon systems in it.

Have fun!

John T

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP17 Jul 2012 6:23 a.m. PST

Oddly, I just finished re-reading The Warrior last night, including the fate of Chief Diabate and his siren-wailing command vehicle.

John Treadaway17 Jul 2012 6:25 a.m. PST

Funnily enough the Chief didn't do that well last night either… They really need to employ the Slammers as their heavy hitters grin

John T

Greg B17 Jul 2012 12:36 p.m. PST

This looks great.
Who makes those highways on the table?

John Treadaway17 Jul 2012 1:34 p.m. PST

Greg – I got them from Amazon UK.

link

picture

There are almost two sets on the table in shots. They got a spray of matt black and matt dark earth folowed by some matt varnish to dull them down but – other than that – are 'as is'

John T

Legion 418 Jul 2012 7:43 a.m. PST

Great stuff JT !!! Always love your work !!! And speaking of 6mm Slammers – link evil grin

John Treadaway18 Jul 2012 8:18 a.m. PST

That is a great set of shots L4 – can I poke you to do some game shots if you get a chance? I know it's always tricky with 6mm but I'd love to see them in action (and would stick them on the site).

Mind you, I might well pinch some shots you've already done and put those on there as well grin

John T

John Treadaway18 Jul 2012 9:38 a.m. PST

So – on the basis of what I've just written – here's some shots of L4's work on the Slammers site:

link

John T

Legion 418 Jul 2012 10:56 a.m. PST

THank you John !!! I'll try to get some "action" shots of the Slammers in the future ! (Besides on the Ice Planet!) And please feel free to "nick" any of my pics you like for the site … or any other site for that matter !! evil grin Many thanks again !!

Mako11 In the TMP Dawghouse18 Jul 2012 6:18 p.m. PST

Those shallow ponds look very nice.

A great touch to the look of the table, in addition to all the other great stuff.

John Treadaway19 Jul 2012 1:52 a.m. PST

Thanks Mako – Heki plastic sheet link

Unbeatable result (in my opinion, anyway) and not expensive and quite easy to do.

John T

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.