Help support TMP

"Simple Dogfight Rules" Topic

17 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Aviation Discussion Message Board

Back to the Modern Aviation Discussion Message Board

Back to the Biplanes Message Board

Back to the Pulp Gaming Message Board

1,426 hits since 12 Jul 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Jeff W12 Jul 2012 12:33 p.m. PST

I'm gearing up to run a short dieselpunk rpg where all the characters are pilots of their own aircraft. Thematically like Crimson Skies. I'm looking for a VERY simple set of dogfight rules that I can paste into this game to resolve air combats. Since this will be a fairly short term game with non-wargamers, I'm open to liberal amounts of handwavium as far as realism.

I'm hoping for something that doesn't use hex measurement and includes consideration of the pilot's skill (or can easily be pasted on). I'd prefer something free, as I'm not likely to re-visit this setting for another game anytime soon.

Jeff

45thdiv Supporting Member of TMP12 Jul 2012 12:38 p.m. PST

take a look at Wings of War – the rules can be downloaded for free and the planes are pre-painted with their own stands and unique movement cards. the only thing that you would be missing is the damage cards. But maybe you could work this in via your RPG rules.

evilcartoonist12 Jul 2012 1:01 p.m. PST

I'll second Wings of War. Just use the cards and planes, and use you RPG's mechanics to handle shooting/damage.

Sundance Supporting Member of TMP12 Jul 2012 1:02 p.m. PST

Wings of War is pretty simple and straightforward. You might also want to consider the Blue Sky series by John Stanoch. The third choice (based strictly on simplicity and ease of play) would be Check Your 6!

Easiest games I've seen.

religon Inactive Member12 Jul 2012 1:06 p.m. PST

Wings of War is a good game. I have also played an excellent conversion for "Star Wars." It can handle almost any dogfight-themed game.

Space Monkey12 Jul 2012 1:32 p.m. PST

Where is this free download of which you speak? I've been searching but all I've found are references to the FFG boxes and some video game.

MajorB12 Jul 2012 1:38 p.m. PST
45thdiv Supporting Member of TMP12 Jul 2012 1:40 p.m. PST

Yep, that is the location.

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP12 Jul 2012 1:45 p.m. PST

Why don't you use Crimson Skies? Didn't they have a non-click version of the rules?

Mako1112 Jul 2012 1:47 p.m. PST

Air War:C21 rules.

There's a free basic set, so you can see how the game works, but the PDF with more aircraft stats is well worth the price.

Very simple to play, and yet more fun than WoW, in my opinion.

gweirda Supporting Member of TMP12 Jul 2012 2:00 p.m. PST

If you're looking for an RPG-style game (ie: flying is handled just like any other combat skill) you can use my (very odd) homebrew thingy – PM me if interested.

Jeff W12 Jul 2012 2:21 p.m. PST

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I've played wings of war in demos, but never really cared for the card based movement system. It might prove however to be a good fit for my purposes.

I'll check out the others, too. Thanks again.

@ancientsgamer- I'd gladly look it over, I simply don't have it. I have quite a few of the old metal planes I got second hand.

@gweirda- sending you a pm now.

lapatrie8813 Jul 2012 4:25 a.m. PST

Yes, give gweirda's material a good look.

flicking wargamer13 Jul 2012 7:14 a.m. PST

I second C21 for your purposes. The free version will give you what you need.

Nelclaret Inactive Member09 Sep 2012 8:01 a.m. PST

Hi

If you're still looking for simple dogfight rules may I point you in direction of my own 'Instant Thunder' – obtainable free on the net and would certainly suit non-gamer types.

Nelclaret

chironex19 Sep 2012 3:09 a.m. PST

Why C21 when 1917 is available?
link

This should be simple too:
PDF link
or this:
link
link
link
link

Nel, why do you mention Instant Thunder but not Instant Bandits?

Nelclaret Inactive Member29 Sep 2012 2:52 a.m. PST

Chironex

Probably because I came to this topic via Modern Aviation Discussion! I am more than happy to mention Instant Bandits (WW2) and Instant Spandaus (WW1) – there, I've gone and done it!

Regards

Nelclaret

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.