Help support TMP

"SAGA game report, Vikings vs. Welsh" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the German Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Medieval Gallery Message Board

Back to the Medieval Battle Reports Message Board

919 hits since 2 Jul 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo 14th Brooklyn Supporting Member of TMP02 Jul 2012 11:14 p.m. PST

A short game report of the SAGA game we played last Friday. Features a brutal ending for one of the Warlords:

link

Enjoy,

Burkhard

picture

picture

Personal logo redmist1122 Supporting Member of TMP02 Jul 2012 11:23 p.m. PST

Good report! How do you like the rules, "SAGA"? I haven't played them, but latley been hearing or reading a lot about them. Our group here is starting a Dark Ages thing with homegrown rules…just curious.

P.

Patrick R03 Jul 2012 1:30 a.m. PST

Looks awesome.

Personal logo 14th Brooklyn Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2012 1:45 a.m. PST

Well I like the rules. They are good for a fast and fun game. The rules themselves are quiet simple, so I do not think you get a real simulation of dark age combat but rather any pre-gunpowder era.
The simplicity somewhat limits the diversity of troops between nations. Although I have to say that the Northern Fury expansion goes a different route there and brings more diversity. The simplicity also limits the use of the scenaios, since some of them are virtually unwinnable for the side that only includes foot of the other has mounted troops.

All that being said… I like them for their simplicity. They allow a quiek fun game and are good if you want to have a spontanious games night with out much preparation. I always found the dark ages interesting miniatures wise, but always shied away since I did not like them enough to paint the numbers. This game works with fairly few (25 in case of my Vikings), which solved that problem for me.

sgt Dutch Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2012 2:54 a.m. PST

Thanks for posting your battle report. Saga is fast game, but using your each group special abilities is the key. Northern Fury adds more to the mix in game. Like the building is your terrian. What company make them.

Personal logo 14th Brooklyn Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2012 4:27 a.m. PST

SGT the buildings were custom build for my friend. The five and four palisade elements cost 100 Euro to make, which I think was a bargain. If you are interested, I can ask Martin for the contact details!

War In 15MM03 Jul 2012 6:48 a.m. PST

14th, I know nothing about gaming, but the board and figures look great! Richard

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2012 7:32 a.m. PST

Nice report and great looking figures. I think describing the rules as "simple" does not do the game justice. Yes, the mechanics may be simple and easy to pick up, but there is a huge amount of depth to this game – much more than any other skirmish game I have played or read about. And though most nations troops may be quite similar, each faction plays very differently. The battleboard is the main factor in determining how the army plays, not what troops it can field.

Personal logo 14th Brooklyn Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2012 8:57 a.m. PST

Thanks!

@Mark: I did not mean simple as a term to reduce its value, but rather as a praise! The battleboard does indeed add flavour to each nation, although we found that you often use the same one… Not for lack of choice, but rather since youmoften fail to roll the appropriate SAGA dice for the more interesting ones. grin

Terrement Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2012 9:40 a.m. PST

Thanks for posting the pics and write-up. I'm just getting ready to try SAGA and things like this are a big help.

I did notice a problem with your minis, though. However, not to worry, as I can fix it for you. At no charge.

I'll PM you my address so you can send them here I'll send them back as soon as I've fixed them. May take a while… grin
Other than the mis-play by the Welsh Warlord, how should that side have played differently?

JJ

Personal logo 14th Brooklyn Supporting Member of TMP03 Jul 2012 1:50 p.m. PST

The way people react to my Vikings, I should paint more and sell them for a living! wink

What should he have done differently? Well was aou said, not leave the Warlord this exposed. Otherwise I think he made too little use of the Javelins all his Heathguards and Warriors come with. Especially with the mounted Heathguard oposite my Berserkers this could have made a huge difference, given the weak armour of the Berserkers. Obviously kf you end your move in range for the javelins (M) you are alsomin range to be charged the next round. But the Welsh have this ability that makes your oponent move half distance. Combine those two and you can wear your oponent down.
Otherwise… He found that I got myself a very robust Heathguard unit by amalgamating two points of Hirdmen into one large unit and did the same by combing his four Teulumpounts into twomunits. But this only gave him 5 SAGA dice, which gave me the option to do more then he could. I think, it is always important to make sure you can roll the full six dice. Better yet (and that is the way my Vikings are build) that you have 7. You are only allowed to roll 6, but if you loose a unit you still get to roll the full amount of dice.

Cheers,

Burkhard

coopman03 Jul 2012 4:12 p.m. PST

I'll be preparing my Normans & Saxons this week for their first SAGA action. All that's left is the flocking.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.