Help support TMP

"Bandai "Steam Boy' collectible toys " Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Victorian SF Message Board

1,131 hits since 29 Jun 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Arteis Supporting Member of TMP29 Jun 2012 10:52 p.m. PST

In a moment of possibly lunacy, I made my first ever order from Japan today, and bought a pack of 12 collectible toys related to the anime VSF movie 'Steam Boy':

picture

I may end up being disappointed with their size for my proposed 28mm French VSF project. But they were cheap enough that if I don't like them, I can probably resell them on an online auction site anyway.

I've been scouring the internet to find pictures of these models being used by wargamers, but haven't found that many at all (which may be, of course, because they're too small!!).

The only pics I could find of one of the models in use was on a VSF game report of a lovely display game called 'Aginclank':

picture

I gather the two steam self propelled guns in the above pic have been converted from the original model to make them larger. But unfortunately the links to production photos by the creator of that game, Skrapwelder, are now dead.

Anyway, I'll wait for the couple of weeks or so it takes for the models to get here to New Zealand, and then report back on how they work out.

Personal logo Dr Mathias Supporting Member of TMP Fezian30 Jun 2012 5:05 a.m. PST

Those steam conveyances don't look to be much larger than the stock one pictured above, they've just been extended a bit to accommodate a figure.

Skrapwelder is a regular on the Lead Adventure Forum- I'm going to assume that's where you saw the broken links and that you've seen this battle report, but just in case (and for others who are interested):

link

Send him a PM on LAF and maybe he will relink the images. I think LAF allows you to edit ad infinitum.

bsrlee30 Jun 2012 6:36 a.m. PST

The armoured suit at the right is about the size of a 54mm figure, so it would do for a small to medium walker suit in 25mm. The rest of the figures illustrated are in proportion to the base piece in the photo, which is the same across the range. I also have a couple of the 'Steamboy inside the Monowheel' and I gave away one of the girlfriend with dog, which was also 54mm-ish, which makes her roughtly 70mm equvalent.

Skrapwelder30 Jun 2012 7:58 a.m. PST

I'll root around and fix those links. I've done at least one other simple conversion from that set of toys

EDIT: Added for your immediate perusal what pictures I could find of the three conversions I did from the Steamboy toys.

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

Anton Ryzbak Inactive Member30 Jun 2012 8:31 a.m. PST

I assume that you are gaming in either 25/28mm or 15mm, if so take a look at HaT's 1/72 scale FT-17 kit (8113 is the kit number) hat.com/currentW.html It is a neat little kit and you get two in a box. With a little work they can be made into a VSF steam tank.

melfortuk30 Jun 2012 9:19 a.m. PST

I think the vehicle type contraptions are more 15mm whereas the figures are much bigger, they have to fit in the same box.

Personal logo Arteis Supporting Member of TMP30 Jun 2012 2:57 p.m. PST

Cool, thanks for those photos, Skrapwelder. It looks like these toys are going to be perfect for converting for my embryo 28mm VSF army.

Great idea on how you used the motorcyle/train-like contraption. I had been wondering what to do with that if it was quite small.

One question how did you create the curved gun-shield on the front of the tractor?

Skrapwelder30 Jun 2012 9:17 p.m. PST

I cut the basic shapes for the gun shield and the deck and then rolled the shield piece around a dowel until it had a decent curl. The I put super glue all on the edge of the deck and held the shield in place.

Bunkermeister12 Jul 2012 11:29 p.m. PST

But where do you get them from?

I am particularly interested in the little tracktor boiler vehicle.

Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
mediatealways.org
bunkermeister.blogspot.com

Skrapwelder13 Jul 2012 6:40 a.m. PST

I ordered a random sleeve of Steamboy Mecha toys from Hobbylink in Japan. The random selection of 12 toys with shipping ran me about $35 USD if I recall correctly

Bunkermeister13 Jul 2012 3:43 p.m. PST

Thats not bad, but since I am only interested in the little tracktor one, that seems rather expensive to get one. Can they be ordered separetly? I have seen them on eBay but at about $17 USD each.

Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
mediatealways.org
bunkermeister.blogspot.com
sgtsays.blogspot.com

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.