Help support TMP

"Hirst Arts Sci-fi Scenery/Buildings Molds" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Tools of the Hobby Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the SF Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the Moldmaking and Casting Message Board

Back to the 28mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Back to the Warhammer 40K Message Board

2,455 hits since 16 Jun 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Graven Games Inactive Member15 Jun 2012 11:57 p.m. PST

Hi all,

We've got our hands on 3 of the sci-fi themed Hirst Arts molds, and have published a massive review over on gravengames.co.uk so that you can follow our journey in working with these molds for the first time, and can then see all of the cool terrain pieces we have built using the molds. We were amazed at how easy it is to start churning out scenery using these molds, visit the link below see what we came up with:

gravengames.co.uk/hirst-arts-silicone-rubber-molds-review

Sample Pic: our first pieces cast from mold 300

Sample Pic: Mold 301

To keep up to date with other review and projects from Graven Games, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter:

facebook.com/GravenGames
twitter.com/GravenGames

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP16 Jun 2012 8:27 a.m. PST

Hirst Arts molds are great. We love Merlin's Magic plaster for our blocks.

Doug

Rassilon Inactive Member16 Jun 2012 10:41 p.m. PST

I use hydro stone with mine, cheap, easy to find at outdoor garden/ceramic/pottery supply centers, really easy to use and decently strong!

link hunter 99 Inactive Member20 Jun 2012 3:09 a.m. PST

ha is good stuff, a little big but still good.

Shanhoplite05 Aug 2012 9:58 a.m. PST

After seeing this post I took the plunge and picked up some molds from Hirts Arts. I'm frankly stunned at how good they are. Currently I am putting together an entire 28mm Mars Station with just three molds. Also much easier to work with than I expected.

This is definitely something the terrain makers of your club need to look at. They have molds for all periods and games--I'm just doing a sci-fi setting and the molds are allowing me to make one hell of a game board without breaking the bank.

Two thumbs up!

Shan

melfortuk06 Aug 2012 12:06 p.m. PST

would these moulds be suitable for use with 15mm figures, i.e. for starship walls and rooms.

Shanhoplite07 Aug 2012 12:30 p.m. PST

I would say absolutely yes---to the basic starship wall mold as well as the "create a large object" type molds.
Probably also the cargo bay mold (the crates are just container sized at 15mm). However the medical bay mold I would balk at, just because the bed would look far too large.

The style would change a bit too. For instance the large towers intended to be power stations at 28mm now loom as large as the power tower that Obi Wan Kenobi has to use to shut off the Death Star tractor beam.

But it isn't exactly a problem needing less molds. I picked up two starship wall molds to allow for double the component part creation, and did not regret that at all. By far the most time consuming part has been actually churning out the pieces. Gluing and painting is a snap.

Shan

John Sowerby07 Aug 2012 2:37 p.m. PST

Take a look at Carl Woodrow's blog for his Hirst Arts terrain for the upcoming Sedition Wars game… dropshipstudio.wordpress.com

Personal logo Dropzonetoe Supporting Member of TMP Fezian08 Aug 2012 3:22 p.m. PST

I have a couple of posts about it but you can make something work for 15mm.

recent thread about it.
TMP link

akudjinn Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member01 Dec 2012 7:05 p.m. PST

Castle Kits offers all the molds as precast sets or kits if anyone is interested. Questions welcome.

castlekits.com

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.