Help support TMP

"Need an army for FoG: Eternal Empire!" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Medieval Discussion Message Board

Back to the Field of Glory Message Board

670 hits since 26 May 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Battle Phlox26 May 2012 11:17 a.m. PST

My group is diving into FoG. One of our members fancies himself as a Jan Zizka and is certain his Hussites will be ever victorious. He has already set his heart (and lots of money) on playing Hussites. With that in mind, I need an army.

I want an army that can compete with Hussites. I don't own any figures for our new period. I am starting this fresh. I need an army and figures. We will be using 15mm and maybe 25/28mm minis. Yes, he has Hussites in both scales.

Thank you for reading and any replies. :)

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2012 11:40 a.m. PST

Anything with lots of heavy foot. He won't stand a chance !

SECURITY MINISTER CRITTER Inactive Member26 May 2012 11:59 a.m. PST

In FoG? Yes lots of heavy foot, especially dismounted knights.
I'm off to look at my lists.

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2012 12:02 p.m. PST

If you are looking for a historical match-up, then your choices are limited to Medieval Germans, Later Hungarians, Later Polish or another Hussite army as a rival faction.

I am sure others will chime in with figure recommendations, for the mid 15th century, my first choice would be Legio Heroica.

Cheers,

SECURITY MINISTER CRITTER Inactive Member26 May 2012 12:10 p.m. PST

Or go for a shooty cavalry army. Serbian or Golden Horde!

Griefbringer26 May 2012 1:31 p.m. PST

If you are looking for a historical match-up, then your choices are limited to Medieval Germans, Later Hungarians, Later Polish or another Hussite army as a rival faction.

For the late medieval German list, one probably needs to consult the Storm of Arrows book, rather than Eternal Empire.

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2012 2:25 p.m. PST

Later Poles!

Dogged Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2012 2:51 p.m. PST

If you need/want lots of heavy foot and are not limited to historical match ups (and btw want an army with lots of possible historical enemies and much info on it); and if you want it cheap even in 28 mm…

Why not trying Early Imperial Romans? Warlord Games have them in excellent 28 mm. plastics and metals, and have nice deals.

Enjoy!

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP26 May 2012 4:15 p.m. PST

I would go for a generic late medieval army that you can use as Late Medieval German. Get some Knights, Pikemen, Haleberdiers, Crossbowmen. You be able to use the same figures in a variety of armies and you can play historical match-ups against the Hussites.

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member27 May 2012 3:37 p.m. PST

+1 to what Mark said. Check out the Lost Scrolls book from some other German lists (hint, hint :-)

TwinCities Gamer Supporting Member of TMP02 Jun 2012 5:28 a.m. PST

If you go the historical opponent route (and clearly you don't have to!), I highly recommend Later Hungarians. I painted them up last fall and play them whenever I can as they're one of my 2 favorite FoG armies to run right now.

Later Hungarians give you a knight based army that can compete with other Knight armies and also the horse armies of the era thanks to all of the Superior Szekler horse archers you can take. This makes the Hungarians a very fun army to run and also very challenging for your opponents.

Here's one of my Later Hungarian AAR so you can see for yourself: link

Also, here's the Hungarian's themselves. I hope it fires your imagination: link

Marshal Mark Supporting Member of TMP03 Jun 2012 12:17 p.m. PST

I would second that suggestion. Later Hungarians are the army I'm currently building, and it will be the last FOG army I will be building it gives me about the one army type I haven't already got Knights plus Horse Archers. So after this I'm saying enough is enough, and not starting any new FOG armies.

And helot4000 I'm definitely using your pictures for inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.