Help support TMP

"Poles on Hill 262" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

786 hits since 23 May 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

number424 May 2012 10:48 a.m. PST

Interesting account worth recreating on the table top? link

Jemima Fawr24 May 2012 11:09 a.m. PST

Definitely. Mont Ormel, Boijos and Chambois are extremely interesting battles, as well as being great places to visit.

dmebust Supporting Member of TMP24 May 2012 12:33 p.m. PST

I second that on interest. Thanks for the link!

Greylegion24 May 2012 1:14 p.m. PST

Great story. Never heard of this before.

Jemima Fawr24 May 2012 1:42 p.m. PST

Orbat for 1st Polish Armoured Division at Chambois/Mont Ormel is here, if you're interested. It's essentially the same as a British Armoured Division such as 11th Armoured Division, rearranged into task-oriented brigade groups. The only real diversion from British organisation was that each squadron in the armoured regiments, armoured recce regiment and motor battalion had one troop fewer than normal due to manpower shortages:

PDF link

While Chambois and Mont Ormel are still on my 'to do' list, I've made a start with a scenario for the river-crossing action at Jort, which opened the Polish drive to Mont Ormel:

PDF link

Just watch yourself if you ever go to Mont Ormel, as there are some right scallies there:

picture

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP24 May 2012 3:41 p.m. PST

one of the RF-2 books has it as a scenario..

Personal logo taskforce58 Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2012 11:35 a.m. PST

The northern pincer on closing the Falaise Pocket is full of interesting scenarios. The Poles at Mont Ormel, and the Canadians at Saint-Lambert-sur-Dives are such examples.

Jemima Fawr30 May 2012 5:51 a.m. PST

Absolutely. One scenario sketched out in my head is the attempt by a scratch battlegroup formed from the last Tigers of 101 SS Tiger Bn, the RHQ of SS-Pz-Regt 12 with Panthers and flakpanzers, some Pz IVs from an unknown unit and FJ from 3rd FJ Div, to batter its way past the Polish 'Little Castle' position at Boijos Farm. There was also an uncoordinated attack by KGr 'Weidinger' (SS-Pz-Gr-Regt 4) down the road from Vimoutiers to Boijos tha could be incorporated into the same scenario, as well as attacks from the north by the Canadian Grenadier Guards.

The battles at Chambois are also very interesting, with Battlegroup 'Zgorelski' (24th Lancers and 10th Dragoons) initially capturing and defending the village, then meeting (after a brief firefight) Leonard Dull's batallion from the US 359th IR (90th Div) and mounting co-ordinated US-Polish defence, reinforced by US M10 TDs, Polish M10c TDs and the Cromwells of the 10th Chasseurs a Cheval.

Rod I Robertson Supporting Member of TMP31 May 2012 12:20 p.m. PST

An interesting battle indeed; Poles with little or no food or ammunition fighting off Germans with little or no food, ammunition or organization and British and Canadian forces fumbling around and trying to find them. The best example of the Fog of War that I can think of. Makes a great micro-armour scenario. Just don't ask about Polish recruiting policy – it's just not politically correct! First Canadian Army should have been done for war crimes because of the way the Poles "recruited" from the German POW's.
Rod Robertson

thedrake05 Jun 2012 8:36 p.m. PST

There is a larger ASL (Advanced Squad Leader) scenario depicting one of these actions with a mixed SS-FJ force trying to smash thru Polish troops on a hilltop--not sure of the details but can scan+post for anyone whom may be interested in seeing this scenario.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.