Help support TMP

"Looking for Pain Relief, and Finding Coca-Cola Instead" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

Back to the ACW Media Message Board

744 hits since 9 May 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP09 May 2012 11:18 a.m. PST

This is old, but quite interesting.

" Trying to come up with a headache cure and general pain reliever, pharmacist John Pemberton invents the beverage that will become known to the world as Coca-Cola in a backyard kettle.

Pemberton received a medical degree at 19 and worked as a druggist in Columbus, Georgia, before joining the Confederate army during the Civil War. He rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel with the Third Georgia Cavalry and was severely wounded in battle.

Trying to control the pain resulting from those wounds, Pemberton became addicted to morphine.

After the war, Pemberton settled in Atlanta, where he began work on a beverage combining coca leaves and cola nuts. His objective was to create a pain reliever but when his lab assistant accidentally mixed the concoction with carbonated water on May 8, 1886, the two men tasted it, liked it, and decided it might make a profitable alternative to ginger ale and root beer.

Pemberton sold the rights to Coca-Cola (twice, actually, but that's another story) as his behavior became more erratic. He died only two years after his accidental invention and only a few months after the Coca Cola Corporation was incorporated.

It's no urban myth: Coca leaves do indeed contain traces of cocaine, which was then believed to help control one's dependence on opiates, including the morphine that helped end Pemberton's life at 57"
From
link

So, Coca Cola exist because of the ACW!.

Hope you enjoy!.

Amicalement
Armand

Jovian1 Inactive Member09 May 2012 12:08 p.m. PST

Not only that, but it was invented by a Southerner – and Coca-Cola has conquered the North (and many parts of the world) as it is the preferred cola! So, the South may have lost the battle, but ultimately won the war – at least in the beverage department.

Garand09 May 2012 12:14 p.m. PST

Bah! Personally I'm a fan of Birch Beer and Moxie!

Damon.

dglennjr09 May 2012 12:19 p.m. PST

If a North-South battle weren't enough, now we're going to have the Coke-Pepsi wars.

Plus, nothing competes with Mt. Dew!

evilcartoonist09 May 2012 1:49 p.m. PST

I enjoy a good Coke now and then, but my preferred Civil War era soda is Vernor's.

Personal logo wrgmr1 Supporting Member of TMP09 May 2012 2:05 p.m. PST

The original recipe had red wine it as well. I used to work for Coca-Cola.

Personal logo Aladdin Supporting Member of TMP09 May 2012 2:15 p.m. PST

That explains part of this map rather nicely:

link

For any who havn't seen it, the map is a county-level survey someone did of what parts of the country use the terms soda, coke, and pop. in the South, I note, Coke is pretty much synonymous with carbonated beverage.

evilcartoonist09 May 2012 2:40 p.m. PST

I never understood calling every carbonated beverage Coke.

"What would you like to drink?"
"A Coke."
"What kind?"
"A Coke."

Dark Knights And Bloody Dawns Supporting Member of TMP09 May 2012 3:07 p.m. PST

Barqs!

Rod Langway Inactive Member10 May 2012 2:23 a.m. PST

evilcartoonist,

Noticed that is a regional thing, for example up in the Pacific Northwest we used to call it "Pop", but when I moved to Arizona no one knew what that meant, and here it is "Soda". Forgot what it was called in New England (not Moxie…. :-)

Personal logo MadDrMark Supporting Member of TMP10 May 2012 6:37 a.m. PST

Between Coke and Jim Beam, the South had no shortage of painkilling beverages!

ChicChocMtdRifles Inactive Member21 Jun 2012 10:20 a.m. PST

I go for the Doc-Pepper that is--and theres places it isn't common. The travesty of such a thing.

donlowry24 Jun 2012 8:02 p.m. PST

Another vote for Dr. Pepper.

Caesar27 Jun 2012 10:55 a.m. PST

There is a drink called Mr. Pibb that is very similar to Dr. Pepper.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.