Help support TMP

"Largest Known Crocodile Could Swallow a Human" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Prehistoric Message Board

1,006 hits since 4 May 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP04 May 2012 9:01 p.m. PST

"A crocodile large enough to swallow humans once lived in East Africa, according to a University of Iowa researcher. "It's the largest known true crocodile," says Christopher Brochu, associate professor of geoscience. "It may have exceeded 27 feet in length. By comparison, the largest recorded Nile crocodile was less than 21 feet, and most are much smaller."
Some were found at sites known for important human fossil discoveries. "It lived alongside our ancestors, and it probably ate them," Brochu says. He explains that although the fossils contain no evidence of human/reptile encounters, crocodiles generally eat whatever they can swallow, and humans of that time period would have stood no more than four feet tall.
"We don't actually have fossil human remains with croc bites, but the crocs were bigger than today's crocodiles, and we were smaller, so there probably wasn't much biting involved," Brochu says.
He adds that there likely would have been ample opportunity for humans to encounter crocs. That's because early man, along with other animals, would have had to seek water at rivers and lakes where crocodiles lie in wait.
Regarding the name he gave to the new species, Brochu said there was never a doubt.
The crocodile Crocodylus thorbjarnarsoni is named after John Thorbjarnarson, famed crocodile expert and Brochu's colleague who died of malaria while in the field several years ago…

picture

Full article here.
link

So, more crocs for prehistoric wargaming!.

Hope you enjoy!.

Amicalement
Armand

Wolfshanza Inactive Member04 May 2012 9:09 p.m. PST

If I disremember correctly, the ones that ate dinos were about 50 feet long. This one is second string ! evil grin

Twilight Samurai04 May 2012 10:03 p.m. PST

They still seem to grow pretty big today and, I'm pretty sure, still eat any people they can catch.

link

GarrisonMiniatures Supporting Member of TMP05 May 2012 1:46 a.m. PST

Quite a fea modern crocs have a liking for people:

link

Saltwater crocs get up to 27', bigger than the Nile crocs.

Lord Raglan Inactive Member05 May 2012 3:11 a.m. PST

Deinosuchus, a crocodile measuring between 12 (40 ft) and 15 meters long (50 ft), which lived in the late Cretaceous period.

picture

Black Bull05 May 2012 4:58 a.m. PST

The Prof did say 'true' crocodile whatever that means, can't say i agree with the Prof on crocs eating what they can swallow after all wildebeest are too big to swallow but crocs eat them just need to 'twist' them abit first

platypus01au05 May 2012 2:34 p.m. PST

I'm pretty sure the Salties up in Australia's north can swallow a human already! There are some big crocs up there.

There is a famous joke in the Gulf…

Q: Can you swim off the beach?
A: No, it's too dangerous.
Q: Is it because of the sharks?
A: Oh no! The crocs have eaten all the sharks!

JohnG

WarrenB Inactive Member05 May 2012 4:35 p.m. PST

The Prof did say 'true' crocodile whatever that means

Family crocodylidae, I expect.

link

I don't like to put a species down, but it does seem a bit cheaty to say that when there were even bigger alligators like – as Lord Raglan mentioned – Deinosuchus, or caimans like Purussaurus, etc. Like they're being excluded from the true-crocs-only golf club…

The pic posted by Lord Raglan is a great piece by palaeoartist Raúl Martín. There's a bigger version viewable on his own site, as well as one of Sarcosuchus.

link
link

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.