Help support TMP

"Bengal Army early 19th century" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Painting Guides Message Board

685 hits since 26 Apr 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Chouan26 Apr 2012 5:36 a.m. PST

I've seen a very small version of a series of painting entitled "The Bengal Army on line of march in Scinde" or words to that effect, painted circa 1845. It has really whetted my appetite for this army and this period.
Unfortunately the small size and lack of colour means that I've little to go on. Is there a good guide to this army that I should read? Or a good website? I have tried to google it, but with limited success beyond the Bengal Horse Artillery. The painting shows the "Red Men" but also some other, apparently horse, artillery in tall rounded hats, and I'm intrigued as to who they could be!
Thanks

Fredloan26 Apr 2012 7:09 a.m. PST

pass on anything you find out

Personal logo Ogdenlulimus Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2012 8:22 a.m. PST

If you can find a copy, Mollo's "Indian Army" would be a good start.

Chouan27 Apr 2012 2:05 a.m. PST

Thanks. The men in tall rounded headgear are, I think Bengal Native Artillery, otherwise dressed the same as the Red Men. Curiously all of the draught horses are being ridden, with no artillerymen individually mounted apart from officers and trumpeters.

Mad Guru Supporting Member of TMP27 Apr 2012 3:41 p.m. PST

The 2 volume W.Y. Carman Indian Army Uniforms books (first vol. all cavalry, second vol. Inf, Art, & Engineers) are filled with good info, though not organized in the most efficient way, and have a lot of info on and some illustrations of early 19th Century uniforms and equipment. Unfortunately they are usually pretty expensive.

There is a more affordable and very colorful book that incorporates some of Carman's writing along with many of the Ackermann prints, called "UNIFORMS OF THE BRITISH & INDIAN ARMIES, 1840-1858", published by Schiffer MIlitary History.

On the easily-accessible front, there is the Osprey Men-at-Arms 453 "Armies of the East India Company 1750-1850". Only 2 of the 8 colour plates are post-Napoleonic, but there it includes a chart with facing colors for the "Sepoy Line regiments" from all three Presidencies as of 1845.

Druzhina28 Apr 2012 2:43 a.m. PST

You may be able to find a larger version of the painting on the net using Google Images. Either give it the url or upload it.

Druzhina

Chouan30 Apr 2012 2:41 a.m. PST

Thanks Druzhina, I have tried, but I can't find the original on Google

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.