Help support TMP

"Private Hitler, US Army" Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

1,226 hits since 23 Apr 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP23 Apr 2012 8:32 a.m. PST

I have no idea if this is a True Story™ or not, but it should be.
I read a long time ago that there was a Pfc Adolf Hitler in the US Army in WW2, The Big One.
He is supposed to have said "Let the other son of a bitch change HIS name!"

Is this too good to be true, or is there any truth to it? It just sounds so much like the typical cocky GI we all love from the movies.

The odds would seem to favor it. Out of 13 million men and women in the US armed forces in WW2, there must have been at least one "Hitler".

Sane Max23 Apr 2012 8:38 a.m. PST

'Hitler' speled that way was not that common a name. Adolf is a fairly common first name.

But all my google-fu reports on this story contain 'allegedly' or 'supposedly'

It's not looking good John!

Pat

Personal logo CPBelt Supporting Member of TMP23 Apr 2012 8:55 a.m. PST

If 'allegedly' and 'supposedly' is good enough for our modern media to convict people of a crime before going to trial, then it's proof enough for me that John's statement is true! evil grin

Evil Bobs Miniature Painting23 Apr 2012 8:59 a.m. PST

What CPBelt said.

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian23 Apr 2012 9:38 a.m. PST

Out of 13 million men and women in the US armed forces in WW2, there must have been at least one "Hitler".

Odds are pretty long on any of the women in that subset being named "Adolf" though. :)

Murvihill23 Apr 2012 10:11 a.m. PST

link

Looks like an Urban Legend to me.

vaughan23 Apr 2012 10:14 a.m. PST

There was a nephew of Hitler's who served in the US navy. I believe he had connections with Liverpool. Whilst I'm sure he served as "Hitler" I don't know what his first name was.

Dynaman878923 Apr 2012 11:01 a.m. PST

> If 'allegedly' and 'supposedly' is good enough for our modern media to convict people of a crime before going to trial

I never knew the media had the power to convict. Silly me. (only exception I'll make is Nancy Grace, how can someone with a name like that be so DISgraceful?)

It appears the Navy's Hitler had a first name of William, more info on that is here link

leidang Supporting Member of TMP23 Apr 2012 11:13 a.m. PST

I don't know why but this reminded me of the Monty Python skit with Mr. Hilter and company living 'undercover" in London after the war.

essayons723 Apr 2012 11:52 a.m. PST

This documentary says something about it, but I don't recall what:

link

GregS

Glengarry 4 Inactive Member23 Apr 2012 12:19 p.m. PST

But Hitler's real name wasn't Hitler, it was something like Schiklegrubber (SIC) wasn't it?!

number423 Apr 2012 4:19 p.m. PST

Nope link

William Patrick Hitler did serve in the US Navy link

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP23 Apr 2012 5:12 p.m. PST

Well, never let truth get in the way of a good yarn!

martinwilliams Inactive Member23 Apr 2012 5:14 p.m. PST

Someone once told me there were 17 Hitlers in the New York phonebook at the start of WWII and none by 1950.

Martin

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP23 Apr 2012 9:56 p.m. PST

Yeah, a junior high and high school classmate of mine had the family name 'Hibler'. Said that his grandparents changed their names during/after WW2.

Patrice24 Apr 2012 12:31 p.m. PST

Did "Battenberg" become "Mountbatten" for some political reason…?

BullDog69 Inactive Member24 Apr 2012 1:34 p.m. PST

Wasn't that Sax-Coberg-Gotha becoming the house of Windsor?

Timbo W24 Apr 2012 4:14 p.m. PST

Patrice, they didn't wish to be confused with cakes,

ochoin deach Inactive Member24 Apr 2012 7:17 p.m. PST

PFC Hitler was actually discharged from the US army on the orders of Loo-tenant Mussolini.

number424 Apr 2012 9:41 p.m. PST

One of Queen Victoria's (many) female ankle biters married the German Prince Louis von Battenberg, who became something of an embarrassment in WWI.

Likewise in 1917 when German Gotha bombers were killing Londoners by night, King George V thought it wise to change the his family name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor…

Personal logo flooglestreet Supporting Member of TMP26 Apr 2012 9:56 a.m. PST

Yeah, you try falling out of a transient barracks about a half hour before you're wide awake and the sergeant calling the roll hollers "Oswalt, Lee H."

Personal logo Bowman Supporting Member of TMP27 Apr 2012 3:37 a.m. PST

One of Queen Victoria's (many) female ankle biters married the German Prince Louis von Battenberg, who became something of an embarrassment in WWI.

Likewise in 1917 when German Gotha bombers were killing Londoners by night, King George V thought it wise to change the his family name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor…

A hazard for any people who still give credence to the concept of "blue blood".

Lascaris Supporting Member of TMP03 May 2012 4:20 p.m. PST

We have a marketing director named Paulus who has an employee named Hitler. Interesting reversal of history!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.