Help support TMP

"MARTINIQUE 1809 (Joe's Slideshows)" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Photography of Miniatures Message Board

Back to the Napoleonics Scenarios Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

Back to the British Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Battle Reports Message Board

1,146 hits since 11 Apr 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Joe Dever11 Apr 2012 11:34 a.m. PST

Here's a link to a slideshow of a 28mm Napoleonic Caribbean battle set on the island of Martinique in April 1809.

link

The invasion of Martinique of 1809 was a successful British amphibious operation against the French West Indian island that took place between 30 January and 24 February 1809. By 9 February, the entire island was in British hands except for Fort Desaix, a powerful position intended to protect the capital Fort-de-France, which had been bypassed during the British advance. The capture of the island was a significant blow to French power in the region, eliminating an important naval base and denying a safe harbour to French shipping in the region. The consequences of losing Martinique were so severe, that the French Navy sent a battle squadron to reinforce the garrison during the invasion. They arrived much too late to affect the outcome; these reinforcements were intercepted off the islands and scattered during the Action of 1417 April 1809. Half of the force failed to return to France.

This game scenario is a "what if", presupposing that the French relief force were not intercepted and scattered as occured historically, but managed to get through to Fort-de-France and attack the British occupying the island's capital on 18 April 1809. It also presupposes that the French garrison in Fort Desaix was relieved by a brigade of French regulars, and able to sally forth and attack the British defenders overland, thereby taking pressure off the French amphibious assault and beach landings.

The game was played on 7 April 2012 (Easter Saturday) and a photo-battle report of the action will feature in an issue of Wargames Illustrated magazine later this year. Check out the W.I. website for updates.

CREDITS
Terrain: Ron Ringrose
Photos, scenario & text: Joe Dever
Figures: from the collection of RR, mostly painted by Artmaster Studios.

All comments welcomed.

Pattus Magnus11 Apr 2012 11:39 a.m. PST

Wow, that is amazing!

I'd be happy getting everything together to play that in 6mm, never mind 28s.

I'm stunned…

Liberators11 Apr 2012 11:41 a.m. PST

Beautiful looking scenario. Love the locals and for some odd reason found myself admiring the rigging on the ships.

Fire at Will11 Apr 2012 12:02 p.m. PST

Nice, the sea boards are unusual and very effective

IronDuke596 Supporting Member of TMP11 Apr 2012 2:48 p.m. PST

Outstanding work and simply a feast for the eyes. The photos were equisitely tailored to tell a story. Simply extraordinary! Many thanks for sharing.

I recognize and OG longboat and amd gunboat plus a redoubt longboat and barge. But where did you get the other small boats and barges? Also, where did you get the schooners? Is one of the schooners from OG? Thanks again.

Joe Dever11 Apr 2012 4:46 p.m. PST

Thanks for the kind comment, Rod (IronDuke596). I'm glad you picked up on the visual story that the photos tell. It will be elaborated upon in the Wargames Illustrated feature later this year. Regarding your queries about the longboats and barges, apart from the OG and Redoubt ones you have already identified, the others were obtained from Ainsty Castings (Riverfront Range):

link

…and from Ian Clunie of Shellhole Scenics:

shellholescenics.co.uk

Ian is an old friend of Ron's and he does a lot of custom resin casting for him. In fact, Ian was one of the players in the game (2nd photo, the chap 2nd from left).

For those of you who will going to Salute 2012 in London on 21 April, you may be interested to know that Ron Ringrose and Robert Browning will be putting on a huge Corunna 1809 demo game, greatly expanded from last year's debut at the WarTorn event in Scarborough. Their table location is GK09. Stop by and check it out. Ron's a very approachable chap and he will be happy to answer any question you have about his terrain and collection.

The schooners were all obtained from seaside hobby and craft shops in France during Ron's regular visits there. It has long been a tradition in France and Belgium to buy model ships as souvenirs when vacationing on the coast. Consequently, there's a lot to choose from and the prices are very reasonable. Luckily for us, they are well suited, scale-wise, to 28mm miniatures!

Mako1111 Apr 2012 6:08 p.m. PST

Stunning terrain, buildings, vessels, seas, and men.

I especially love the image of the chap in the water, with the sharks.

I doubt he does…..

Goose666 Supporting Member of TMP12 Apr 2012 3:48 a.m. PST

A simply stunning game. Thanks for posting the photos Joe.
The figures and terrain are lovely.
Not a period I presently game, but seeing a board like that, does tempt one badly.

As Will says, the see boards are very effective.

War In 15MM12 Apr 2012 8:01 p.m. PST

I love your battlefield pics. I look at them for both entertainment and inspiration. I currently have a bunch of them bookmarked but would love to see more if you can point me to them. Currently bookmarked are:
Talavera
Vietnam/Tet
Stillwater 1777
St Lucia 1807
Mons Graupius AD83
Yorktown
Waterloo
Gettysburg
Vimeiro 1808
Vimeiro Revisited
Retreat to Corunna 1809
Spain 1809
As indicated above, I'd love to find more. Just tell me what I'm missing. Thanks for the great pics and the enjoyment I get from them.
Richard

Joe Dever13 Apr 2012 8:42 a.m. PST

Hi Richard, many thanks for your kind comments. It's always good to know that my photos are being appreciated. Here are some missing links to additional photo sets that will be of interest to you:

WARGAMES

ST. MATHIEU 1944 (PART 1)
link

ST. MATHIEU 1944 (PART 2)
link

WATERLOO 1944
link

EDGEHILL 1642
link

BATTLE OF THE ALAMO 1836 (PART 1)
link

BATTLE OF THE ALAMO 1836 (PART 2)
link

CORUNNA 1809 PART ONE
link

CORUNNA 1809 PART TWO
link

CORUNNA CONSTRUCTION PICS
link

WW2 CORUNNA TABLE VARIANT PART ONE
link

WW2 CORUNNA TABLE VARIANT PART TWO
link

ANCIENTS
link

ACW CHANCELLORSVILLE Xmas 2011 CENTRE TABLE
link

ACW CHANCELLORSVILLE Xmas 2011 FLANK TABLES
link

VIETNAM 1968 SET-UP PICS
link

KADESH 1274BC
link

ROMANS vs BARBARIANS
link

VITORIA 1813
link

WILLIAMITE WAR BATTLE OF AUGHRIM 1691
link

VARNA 1444
link

ZULU
link

RE-ENACTMENTS

WATERLOO 2008
link

WATERLOO 2009
link

CASTILLON 2009
link

INTERNATIONAL NAPOLEONIC WEEKEND 2009 (PART ONE)
link

INTERNATIONAL NAPOLEONIC WEEKEND 2009 (PART TWO)
link

KLUSHINO 2010
link

As always, all comments welcomed.

War In 15MM13 Apr 2012 9:50 a.m. PST

Really wonderful! Thanks so much Richard

Maxshadow Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member14 Apr 2012 6:02 p.m. PST

Just awesome Joe. Thanks for taking so many photos too. (Shark attack, very humorous incidental.) I just wondered how many hours it must have taken to create. Time well spent as far as I'm concerned!

Travellera15 Apr 2012 1:13 p.m. PST

Fantastic!

Joe Dever16 Apr 2012 8:50 a.m. PST

Here's a couple more photo sets to add to the list!

BUDAPEST 1945
link

WW1 1915
link

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.