Help support TMP

"Rules for Pre-Dreadnought Fleet Actions" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

1,244 hits since 27 Mar 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

alan lockhart27 Mar 2012 4:03 a.m. PST

I am tempted by the new Coaling Stations Rules which I understand might be able to cope with full fleet actions.

Are there any other suggestions for suitable rules to game large fleet actions, particularly the Russo-Japanes War?

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP27 Mar 2012 4:11 a.m. PST

I use 'De Bellis Navalis' by Colin Standish, published in WI in January 2000.

It has subsequently appeared as 'Iron Ships and Wooden Heads' by Tim Gow (10920s/30s) and may or may not have influenced Phil Barkes 'Damn Battleships Again' (which covers pre-dreads).

Done Tshushima, Yellow Sea etc.

Elohim Inactive Member27 Mar 2012 4:22 a.m. PST

I like Damn Battleships Again, nice and simple =]

Khusrau Supporting Member of TMP27 Mar 2012 4:41 a.m. PST

Has anyone seen a review of "Coaling Stations" ?

John Leahy Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Mar 2012 4:44 a.m. PST

Count me in for Damn Battleships Again as well.

Thanks,

John

Khusrau Supporting Member of TMP27 Mar 2012 5:13 a.m. PST

One thing missing from DBSA is a set of campaign rules about – coaling stations – which would provide backstories to battles, and a reason for 2nd Class Cruisers!

I started writing one. But abandoned for other things. It is one of the reasons I am wondering about a review for 'Coaling Stations'

Princeps27 Mar 2012 6:04 a.m. PST

I like GDW's "Ironclads and Ether Flyers." Simply ignore everything Space 1899 related and you are left with an excellent set of naval rules.

Personal logo Who asked this joker Supporting Member of TMP27 Mar 2012 6:22 a.m. PST

"Fire When Ready" was a micro game by Meta Gaming. It was simple and a lot of fun. Normally played on a hex grid, there is no reason you could not convert to a standard table top.

korsun0 Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Mar 2012 7:12 a.m. PST

Quick Fire from wtj, free and fun but not 'basic' for want of a better expression.

phssthpok Inactive Member27 Mar 2012 1:01 p.m. PST

Another vote for "Fire When Ready"

Personal logo RobH Supporting Member of TMP Fezian27 Mar 2012 2:54 p.m. PST

Another vote for Quick Fire wtj.com/games/quickfire

Free rules that have enough detail to make different ship classes and quality mean something without too much "sailing" and "ship handling" knowledge required.

Baby brother of Battlefleet 1900 (also free from the same site) also excellent, but a real step up in complexity!

afilter28 Mar 2012 7:01 a.m. PST

Naval Thunder Rise of the Battleship.

Naval Thunder:
navalthunder.com/products

I have successfully gamed all the battles of RJW using these rules.

Fun and quick without alot of data checking.

Battle of the Yellow Sea:

link

WarpSpeed29 Mar 2012 2:00 p.m. PST

I agree,Quickfire is a nice paced fun game.WTJs line of vessels are also superb.

freecloud29 Mar 2012 3:16 p.m. PST

I use DBSA (Damn Battleships Again)

TheDreadnought Sponsoring Member of TMP Inactive Member30 Mar 2012 7:51 a.m. PST

Naval Thunder has a strong and active pre-dread player base, and is generally what you'll see played at cons for pre-dreads. A lot of these others are commonly mentioned in forums, but I've never seen anybody playing them at a con.

link

Royal Marine31 Mar 2012 2:15 a.m. PST

It's all here … TMP link

geek2go Inactive Member07 Apr 2012 2:45 p.m. PST

I like the EasyShip rules on Mike's Own Wargames site. Goes into some detail dealing with battle damage without getting too complicated, ie fire, flooding. Comes with handy print n play markers. And they're free.

bobblanchett Inactive Member29 May 2012 3:30 a.m. PST

I started on DBSA, but I found WTJ quickfire v. easy to play, the mechanics clear, compact, orthagonal and esily memorized with few exceptions (unlike DBSA resolution)

it added chrome without adding complexity which is a real art, if you as me.

after 3 turns we hardly looked at the charts.

What's "Coaling Stations"?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.