Help support TMP

"whats a good ruleset?" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Pulp Gaming Message Board

592 hits since 23 Mar 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

grumpus Inactive Member24 Mar 2012 12:04 p.m. PST

I've been tempted by the pulp figs i've seen and the idea of bringing the smoke-filled world of pulp to life is more than i can bear. so, now i just want to poll what players think is the funnest/best ruleset.
also;
Are they RPGs or like skirmish fights, or both?

-Mike

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP24 Mar 2012 12:14 p.m. PST

.45 Adventure – Skirmish fights, easily adapted to an RPG-lite.

Personal logo Mexican Jack Squint Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian24 Mar 2012 12:27 p.m. PST

The answer is "All of them."

Since Pulp is about – well, what you think it's about – it's simply a question of picking which of about half-a-dozen sets uses the sort of mechanics you prefer to get the resulting two-fisted, wisecracking mayhem you like.

I recommend "Astounding Tales!" since, naturally, I wrote them, but I don't think any of the pulp sets will force you into rules lawyering, detailed accountancy or arguing over milimetres between figures.

Personal logo flooglestreet Supporting Member of TMP24 Mar 2012 1:26 p.m. PST

I recommend Larger Than Life by Two Hour wargaming. twohourwargames.com/pulps.html It includes mechanics for running a story. That is what pulp is all about, the story. Also, I game alone and THW, along with the Mythic GM Emulator link allows me to play challenging games by myself. I imagine a group could do very well with these rules.

whill424 Mar 2012 2:05 p.m. PST

I like GASLIGHT.

Ed Mohrmann Supporting Member of TMP24 Mar 2012 4:38 p.m. PST

Another vote for MJS's 'Astounding Tales' rules AND
'.45 Adventure,' if you like variety.

skippy000125 Mar 2012 6:03 a.m. PST

Savage Worlds

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART25 Mar 2012 10:00 a.m. PST

Larger than life for me. .45 adventures has a lot of promise as well.

grumpus Inactive Member25 Mar 2012 11:28 a.m. PST

Thank you all for the suggestions!
i do have a question, say i really have an itch to play a scenario that takes place inside a large zeppelin, or a tramp steamer, do the rulesets dictate the scenes, or are you free to change the locations ?

-Mike

Watchtower78 Inactive Member25 Mar 2012 11:43 a.m. PST

I wrote It Came From Beyond the Still Aliens vs Hillbilies which you can pickup for 5 dollars on wargamevault.

SaintGermaine25 Mar 2012 2:38 p.m. PST

link

Just sayin.. free and kewl

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Mar 2012 1:29 a.m. PST

The GASLIGHT Compendium includes rules for role playing, skirmishing, and large battles all in one volume. It also includes rules for aerial vehicles and fleet actions. It works for Pulp, VSF, and many other periods and genres.

Buck Surdu

Scorpio28 Mar 2012 6:55 a.m. PST

i do have a question, say i really have an itch to play a scenario that takes place inside a large zeppelin, or a tramp steamer, do the rulesets dictate the scenes, or are you free to change the locations ?

All the rulesets I am familiar with let you change locations easily.

Tekawiz28 Mar 2012 11:54 a.m. PST

Someting that looks interesting is the pulp board game Fortune and Glory.

After reading about it at BGG it seems this game would make make a great campaign structure by setting up encounters in different locations and situations. You could then plug in your favorite pulp rules to resolve the encounter.

Has anybody checked this game out?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.