Help support TMP

"Work on our Arnhem Board advances" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

Back to the Flames of War Message Board

986 hits since 17 Mar 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

indierockclimber17 Mar 2012 3:32 p.m. PST

Dirty Jon has been working on an Arnhem board for quite a while, and recently got big chunks of stuff done and decided to document his progress!

picture

He plans to run some scenarios from the Flames of War book for A Bridge Too Far at Historicon.

Check out the rest of the pics here:
link

Derek H17 Mar 2012 3:43 p.m. PST

Houses! How good is that?

Awesome!

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP17 Mar 2012 3:58 p.m. PST

Cool.

epturner Supporting Member of TMP17 Mar 2012 3:59 p.m. PST

Sweet!

Eric

fred12df18 Mar 2012 2:11 a.m. PST

Cool stuff, yours looks a lot more finished than mine

picture

A couple of comments, the bridge roadway looks very wide compared to the size of your houses. and it all looks very green, other than the embankment I don't think there was that much grassed area around the bridge.

Major Grubbs Inactive Member18 Mar 2012 3:09 a.m. PST

Not sure if you've seen this, but check this link out for inspiration:

link

Major Grubbs Inactive Member18 Mar 2012 3:09 a.m. PST

Not sure if you've seen this, but check this link out for inspiration:

link

CPBelt Inactive Member18 Mar 2012 12:44 p.m. PST

That is sick!!! Wow!

Dirty Jon Inactive Member19 Mar 2012 5:08 p.m. PST

@Fred: Actually, I made the road smaller than it actually is in this scale. It would be 2" wider had I not cut it down -- it is a VERY wide road – 4 lanes + 2 walkways. The area is also very grassy -- at least now it is -- I was there 2 years ago.

You board looks fantastic! I really like what you did with the buildings and your paths look much better than mine.

Derek H19 Mar 2012 10:19 p.m. PST

Dirty Jon wrote:

The area is also very grassy -- at least now it is -- I was there 2 years ago.

The area at the end of the bridge today is quite different to how it was in 1944. The Allies completely flattened the place with bombing after the Market Garden campaign.

They destroyed the bridge while they were at it and the current bridge is a replacement.

Did you not go to the museum just along from the bridge which has photographs from September 1944?

Dirty Jon Inactive Member20 Mar 2012 5:15 a.m. PST

Congrats, Derek I unstifled you long enough to read your comment Steve convinced me. =)

1) In this pic, looks pretty grassy:

picture

2) I don't really care what the TMP Haters Committee thinks about my board. I've already committed to the design and will have to live with it. Compromises made for playability, time and costs. All models are wrong, some are useful. This model of Arnhem will be useful to play a game I enjoy.

3) I hope some of you get some ideas, inspiration and maybe even some 'what not do do' from this being shared.

/stifle on

Derek H20 Mar 2012 10:25 a.m. PST

Dirty Jon wrote:

I don't really care what the TMP Haters Committee thinks about my board.

OK I'll stay positive. The grass where the pavements (sidewalks) should be looks awesome :-)

Derek H20 Mar 2012 9:01 p.m. PST

And some pictures from my own visit to Arnhem on at dereksweetoys.com/?p=397

darthfozzywig Supporting Member of TMP22 Mar 2012 2:27 p.m. PST

Some incredible work, guys. Really impressive.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.