Help support TMP

"Battle of Kursk at Cold Wars!" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

671 hits since 21 Feb 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

mpanko Supporting Member of TMP21 Feb 2012 9:48 p.m. PST

Memoir 44 game for 8 players running on 9 March (Friday night) at the Cold Wars convention in Lancaster PA. Had some glitches with the PEL so there are plenty of seats left. You can sign up for the game at the cold wars website: https://www.hmgs-crs.org/home

F-420 – Battle of Kursk (Prokhorovka)

Fri. 7:00 PM, 3 hrs, 8 players

Culminating clash of armor during the battle of Kursk in 1943 between the German vanguard of the SS Panzer Corps and the Russian 5th Guards Tank Army. Participate in one of the largest tank battles of WW2!

See the flier on this game and Operation Olympic at my blog: artofcommand.blogspot.com

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 7:52 a.m. PST

Sounds like fun. Will you be distinguishing the different types of armor somehow? I seem to recall from reading the M44 rules that a tank is a tank is a tank (unless it's elite).

Thanks,
Doug

mpanko Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 11:16 a.m. PST

Yes there will be the Tiger I, Panther & MkIII/IV for the Germans. The Russians will have the T-34, KV-1a & a unit of SU-122 Tank destroyers. All of these are in the 'regular' rules for M44 – which of course have matured since their release several years back.

Mike

Personal logo Dale Hurtt Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 11:32 a.m. PST

I am hoping to get in on this, but I still have to check my schedule to make sure nothing conflicts.

Reactivated the blog after a bit of a hiatus, I see!

Dale

mpanko Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 11:41 a.m. PST

Yeah I am not much of a blogger – too much other stuff to do. I gave up on trying to be consistent on updates and such.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 11:55 a.m. PST

All of these are in the 'regular' rules for M44 which of course have matured since their release several years back.

Really? Cool. Can you point me to which expansions or whatnot bring this level of granularity to the game? That was one of my big turn-offs with it (especially as compared to C&C:Ancients).

Thanks,
Doug

mpanko Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 12:15 p.m. PST

Actually Days of Wonder has got a good online archive of PDFs for all the expansions at their site.

link

To keep from scouring all over the place however I recommend you download the quick reference sheet toward the bottom of the page by rassmussen81.

In there you will see the rules for elite armor (essentialy add another tank; the tiger I rules; the tank destroyer rules; as well as alot of other good stuff. So for the Kursk scenario we will use the Tiger! rules for the Tiger Companies; elite rules for Panthers and the KV-1a; Tank destroyer rules for the russian TD and the 'regular' tank rules for the MkIII/IVs and the russian T-34s.

I like the rules even more now than when Richard first had these developed. The additional gloss on the set adds alot to the game.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 12:28 p.m. PST

Actually, I had downloaded a truckload of that stuff, but was not sure where to look for this sort of thing. I had somehow missed the QR card.

So for the Kursk scenario we will use the Tiger! rules for the Tiger Companies; elite rules for Panthers and the KV-1a; Tank destroyer rules for the russian TD and the 'regular' tank rules for the MkIII/IVs and the russian T-34s.

That makes sense. Similarly, in early war, you might rate a III as elite, with Pz I and II being the normal tanks, etc. It's a sliding scale, yes?

Doug

mpanko Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 1:04 p.m. PST

Most definitely – it remains generic enough that you could adjust for whatever time period (early – late) you are working as long as 'like' opponents are categorized in the same manner (excluding unique units).

Mike

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 1:09 p.m. PST

Is there a unified rulebook out there somewhere? That QR card is extremely handy, but has anybody ever glommed all the rules into a single volume?

Doug

mpanko Supporting Member of TMP22 Feb 2012 5:51 p.m. PST

Not that I know of – perhaps a future compendium.

Mike

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP23 Feb 2012 12:13 p.m. PST

Poop. Oh well, at least there's the QR.

Doug

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.