Help support TMP

"Glory" Topic

55 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Media Message Board

Action Log

17 Feb 2012 8:03 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Crossposted to ACW Media board

30 Sep 2017 7:02 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Removed from TMP Poll Suggestions board

2,072 hits since 17 Feb 2012
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Personal logo capncarp Supporting Member of TMP23 Mar 2012 8:16 p.m. PST

If you get a chance to see the full film, including some of the deleted scenes, you'll be in for a treat; one of the cut scenes had a soldier ramming home a ball, a shell comes along and takes his arm off--and they used an amputee with a fake arm to film it.
My godsons' stepfather was historical consultant for the film, and he has lots of stories about the actors and the shooting of the film. He's all through it, in the background of the "left foot/right foot" training scene, and he's the captain in the porkpie hat that Matthew Broderick turns around to and tells him to send out skirmishers at the end of the James Island fight. (at 4:40 in the following clip)
YouTube link

He was always behind Matthew Broderick during shooting, and taught him what he needed to know about being an officer.

MadDrMark13 Apr 2012 9:23 a.m. PST

While I pull out Gettysburg when I want to get psyched up to paint my ACW minis, I think Glory is overall the better piece of filmmaking. While it lacks much of the detail and spectacle of Gettysburg, Glory tells a much more coherent story. The direction is sharper and the acting is better from top to bottom, IMO. I watch the two films for different reasons, I guess.

However, I believe that the great ACW film is yet to be made. May I live to see it!

95thRegt07 Jun 2012 7:48 p.m. PST

Glory was OK. TOO many historical inaccuracies for me. The opening scene is just WRONG .Shaws regiment never even saw combat! they had like,2 wounded or some such thing.
And they don't even mention the 54th's only Medal of Honor winner,Color Sgt. John Carney(?),whose story is amazing in itself.
WHY they didn't include it in the movie,is beyond me.

And don't get me started on Gods Awful General movie! lol

Bob

Bob C.

Personal logo Dasher Supporting Member of TMP09 Jun 2012 3:09 p.m. PST

Top 20, if only for Morgan Freeman's brilliant portrayal of a man of conscience and ethics.

firstvarty197914 Jun 2012 7:42 p.m. PST

It's a top 3 Civil War movie!

Pages: 1 2 

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.