Help support TMP

"This car is Wicked Cool!" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Utter Drivel Message Board

613 hits since 16 Feb 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Jay Wirth Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian Inactive Member16 Feb 2012 6:14 p.m. PST

rallyfighter.com Give it a MFP paint job.

…My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land. But most of all, I remember The Road Warrior. The man we called "Max". To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time. When the world was powered by the black fuel. And the desert sprouted great cities of pipe and steel. Gone now, swept away. For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing. They built a house of straw. The thundering machines sputtered and stopped. Their leaders talked and talked and talked. But nothing could stem the avalanche. Their world crumbled. The cities exploded. A whirlwind of looting, a firestorm of fear. Men began to feed on men. On the roads it was a white line nightmare. Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice. And in this maelstrom of decay, ordinary men were battered and smashed. Men like Max. The warrior Max. In the roar of an engine, he lost everything. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again…

000 Triple Aught Inactive Member16 Feb 2012 7:19 p.m. PST

Sweet. I could see myself driving one of those. But, reality is a wicked mistress and at $75,000 USD, it'll never happen.

:)

Personal logo Tango 2 3 Ditto Supporting Member of TMP16 Feb 2012 7:52 p.m. PST

Yup, but $74,500 USD, there goes my road warrior experience… frown
--
Tim

Steve6416 Feb 2012 9:43 p.m. PST

That is truly excellent that they were able to put this together using the now well proven model of cooperatively designing something over the internet.

That model has always worked really well for software – good to see that it translates to something like a car as well.

Awesome machine ! A project well done.

One of the biggest lessons about open-source software is that things really do happen when you get engineer types and designers together and leave them be in complete peace. There is no place on 'the team' for managers, accountants and marketting experts.

Unfortunately, they made the mistake of allowing too many 'marketting experts' to get on-board with the team on this project.

Not sure about the 'go anywhere' thing for example … whilst the corvette motor sounds sweet, its a petrol based donk that doesn't like getting wet. You want to really 'go anywhere' … you get an old second hand Nissan Patrol with a diesel in it …. and go ANYWHERE. It will get you home even with a broken crankshaft.

Whoever decided that it was a good idea to write up the nonsense on their website about 'sustainability' deserves to be killed. Its a CAR for goodness sakes – a petrol driven CAR. However sweet the collaborative process is – it is a CAR, and the antithesis of sustainability.

KILL the marketting experts, and get back to designing cool things … let the product speak for itself thank you. The crap that marketting experts write is only useful when consumed by people who are incapable of thinking for themselves. Why insult your potential customers with a bunch of carefully crafted lies ?

THIS on the other hand :

picture

… is real sustainable transport, that will get you from A to B as fast as any car, or easily tour from city to city at an easy 200km per day, every day.

bamboobikes.com.au

DS615117 Feb 2012 12:28 a.m. PST

It looks
1) like a matchbox car.
2) like a kit-bashed challenger.
3) like a huge lollipop for that price. No wait, that's the driver.

Jay Wirth Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian Inactive Member17 Feb 2012 4:52 a.m. PST

Sorry Steve. I thought someone from Australia would get the MFP / Mad Max reference. A bamboo bicycle? I don't think I would have much access to fiberglass to join the thing together while kikin'it in the wasteland…

jgibbons17 Feb 2012 5:03 a.m. PST

Okay – now I want one…

Personal logo Klebert L Hall Supporting Member of TMP17 Feb 2012 7:08 a.m. PST

Nothing against the bicycle, they are great tools.

However:

… is real sustainable transport, that will get you from A to B as fast as any car, or easily tour from city to city at an easy 200km per day, every day.

is patently false if you are traveling any distance. For example, I can easily tour from city to city an easy 200km in a car in two hours.
-Kle.

Steve6417 Feb 2012 7:58 a.m. PST

Sorry Steve. I thought someone from Australia would get the MFP / Mad Max reference. A bamboo bicycle? I don't think I would have much access to fiberglass to join the thing together while kikin'it in the wasteland…

For fibreglass substitutes – you can always use an extract from any of the highly venomous insects that are abundant in this land :)

The real problem in a post-collapse world would be making replacement parts for that lovely campagnolo 11 speed groupset that is sitting on the bamboo bike. Working titanium and compressed carbon would be a trick in itself.

Only in extreme circumstances of desperation .. you may have to swap it out for an old school 8 speed cog, or worse. hmmmm.

@Kle

that will get you from A to B as fast as any car,

is patently false if you are traveling any distance.

….
Nah, I don't think so. Anything within the confines of an urban area, with traffic lights – cycling is faster without a doubt.

With even moderate traffic congestion in car lanes, the bike wins. 20km, 40km, 50km 'short trips' .. no problem. Its one of the best kept secrets of the modern age that cars are actually quite uselessly slow and inefficient at getting people around in urban areas.

50+ km with decent uncongested freeways, using a car is faster.

Transporting anything other than a set of spare socks and a couple of bananas is a totally different issue though :) But thats where the old Nissan Patrol comes in very handy again. Although having said that, I know of at least 2 people that haved moved house by bike (furniture and all). Thats getting slightly hardcore though.

Post-Apocaplyse, the car isnt going to get you very far without good available petrol, let alone a 200km journey. An old diesel monster though, with a simple old fashioned injector pump will run on cooking oil (or the extracts of venomous insects if you are game to milk them).

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP17 Feb 2012 8:41 a.m. PST

You realize for $75 USDk, you can get a really tricked out 'Vette?
Or Porsche?
beer

Personal logo wehrmacht Supporting Member of TMP17 Feb 2012 10:56 a.m. PST

Nah, I don't think so. Anything within the confines of an urban area, with traffic lights cycling is faster without a doubt.

With even moderate traffic congestion in car lanes, the bike wins. 20km, 40km, 50km 'short trips' .. no problem. Its one of the best kept secrets of the modern age that cars are actually quite uselessly slow and inefficient at getting people around in urban areas.

Steve, put down the crack pipe ;-)

Try a "short trip" of 50km on a bike in the rain or snow. -20C? or +35C? Remember that you must obey traffic rules and signals in built up areas just like a car does. You do obey traffic rules, right?

Powered mass transportation – yes. This is generally more efficient than car travel, given decent mass trans infrastructure. What you're talking about is remotely feasible only for the hardcore and fit. For everyone else a car is much faster.

As far as travelling city to city at an "easy 200km a day, every day" on a bicycle, pull the other one… not in this country mate ;-)

Cheers

w.

Personal logo Klebert L Hall Supporting Member of TMP18 Feb 2012 9:56 a.m. PST

Nah, I don't think so. Anything within the confines of an urban area, with traffic lights cycling is faster without a doubt.

I feel sorry for you, if this actually exemplifies the state of Australian city traffic. Only the most congested US cities generate this effect, and pretty much none of them over 50km distances.
-Kle.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.