Help support TMP

"SheVa 9 (Bun-Bun) dimensions and armament" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

1,079 hits since 29 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Allen57 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jan 2012 9:18 a.m. PST

Googlefu is not helping. What are the dimensions and armament of the SheVa 9 tank Bun-Bun in the Ringo novels?

Thanks,

Al

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP29 Jan 2012 9:36 a.m. PST

16 inch Naval Gun, I'll dig out one of his Books after I get back from gaming this afternoon.

SteelPenguin29 Jan 2012 9:54 a.m. PST

from the dimensions in the back of hells faire
hight 170 ft from ground to top of turret
tread hight 27ft
tread widthe ( individual) 150ft
total vehicle width 385 ft
" " length 268ft

gun lenght 200ft inc barrel and breach
gun bore 16"

plus the added on water tanks and abrams metalstorm turrets

Personal logo Ambush Alley Jim Supporting Member of TMP29 Jan 2012 9:59 a.m. PST

Thanks for the reminder of the Shiva…(starts muttering to self about scrap bits in workshop).

Don't forget the anti-radiation shower sprinkler :)

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Jan 2012 10:34 a.m. PST

Not much point in building one unless you're also going to do a Posleen lander for it to shoot at.

The G Dog Fezian29 Jan 2012 11:40 a.m. PST

LOL!

In 1/300 right? Not 15mm?

Lion in the Stars29 Jan 2012 12:14 p.m. PST

Yeah, no way I'd build Bun-Bun in 1/100. P1000 Rattes are big enough (at ~12" long and 6" wide, it's still a paper project for me)!

In 1/300, Bun-Bun would be 6.8" tall, 15.4" wide, and 10.72" long. *blink* wider than long? unusual… Tracks are each 6" wide and 1.08" tall.

I wonder if GHQ sells M1 Assault Breacher Vehicle turrets and M4 Sherman Calliope launchers separately? Actually, scratch that, I can use the entire ABV if I put the hulls under the tracks, and I guess I can just make the Metalstorm rigs out of plasticard…

Allen57 Supporting Member of TMP29 Jan 2012 7:48 p.m. PST

Ive got Hells Faire but did not think of digging it out. You guys confirmed my suspicions. Im not going to be adding a SheVa to my 6mm forces. It is just too big. Maybe I will do it in 2mm if I set up an army or so for higher operational level wargames against the Posleen.

Al

BlackWidowPilot Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Jan 2012 8:00 p.m. PST

"In 1/300, Bun-Bun would be 6.8" tall, 15.4" wide, and 10.72" long. *blink* wider than long? unusual… Tracks are each 6" wide and 1.08" tall."

In other words it's about half the size and a quarter of the firepower of a BOLO Mk. XXXXI "Horrendous," give or take a few millimeters…evil grin

Sounds like a fun project. I say we all build a few hundred of 'em…evil grin

Leland R. Erickson

Alex Reed Inactive Member29 Jan 2012 9:08 p.m. PST

Wut?

Need to GOOGLE!

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian29 Jan 2012 9:26 p.m. PST

In other words it's about half the size and a quarter of the firepower of a BOLO Mk. XXXXI "Horrendous," give or take a few millimeters…

Probably not half the firepower of a late-model Bolo, barring widespread use of anti-matter rounds. Those big hellbores can knock out large military starships from beyond orbital range, which is quite a bit more impressive than even a tech-boosted 16" gun can manage.

Both types of vehicles do serve rather similar purposes, though. Oppose planetary invasion by killing transports before they unload, and crush any troops that do manage to get their boots (or claws) on the ground. Bun-bun wasn't so hot in direct engagements before it, ah, acquired all those Metalstorm turrets. Bolos were built to do everything from orbital interdiction to artillery support to (super)tank assaults from word one.

Allen57 Supporting Member of TMP30 Jan 2012 2:15 p.m. PST

Different stokes for different folks. There is a fellow making 2mm miniatures for the Bolo universe on Shapeways. I think that 2mm might be the way to go for these super tanks. Seems Ogres pale in comparison.

I can not recall all the instances where Bun-Bun appeared in the Posleen stories. Was it ever used in a ground combat roll?

BTW what do MI metalstorm turrets look like? I also cannot find my copy of Hells Faire so must ask if the book has a drawing of SheVa 9.

Al

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.