Help support TMP

"A new 'Flashman' novel...sort of..." Topic

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the British Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Modern Media Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Media Message Board

2,852 hits since 4 Jan 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

sjwalker3804 Jan 2012 8:24 a.m. PST

"Harry Flashman and the invasion of Iraq" by H. C. Taylor is about to be released according to Amazon.

Written by a member of the Royal Marines who participated in the Gulf War, it purports to tell the story of the original's great great grandson and his unwilling participation in the conflict.

Coming soon after the first of the 'Carton Chronicles' (the same idea, featuring Sidney Carton (of 'Tale of Two Cities' fame) but set during the French Revolution, it'll be interesting to see how the latest incarnation works out.

I'm still waiting for some brave soul to try and fill in some of the gaps of the original Flashman chronology – I assume that, just as GMF lifted an existing literary character for his books, there is no copyright reason why someone should not use Harry (or, indeed, Tom Brown) in their own fiction?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2012 8:40 a.m. PST

I'm still waiting for some brave soul to try and fill in some of the gaps of the original Flashman chronology I assume that, just as GMF lifted an existing literary character for his books, there is no copyright reason why someone should not use Harry (or, indeed, Tom Brown) in their own fiction?

I totally and completely disagree.
The only person that I would approve of writing more Flashman stories is GMF's daughter, who I hear is a competent writer.

For some hack to "fill in the gaps" would be almost as blaphemous as the attempts to fill in the gaps by various Robert E Howard wannabes in the "Conan" stories. The only REAL Conan stories were written 1200% by REH, and not the stable of hacks working for Lin "Carter et al.

I would rather NOT read any "Flash for Blue, Flash for Grey" novel if it was not written from GMF's notes by someone he trusted.

Do not encourage hacks!

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2012 8:45 a.m. PST

I would also hope that the GMF estate has as much a stranglehold on the Flashman property as the Burroughs estate did with Tarzan.

I also hope that the estate does not prostitute themselves for cash like the MArgaret Mitchell estate did in hiring some Harlequin hack to write a "sequel" to Gone with the Wind.

BTW, the book that GMF lifted Flashman from was written in 1857. Copyright had long expired.

Norman D Landings04 Jan 2012 9:05 a.m. PST

I'd be happier about a 'fill in the blanks' series than I am about an updated version.

It strikes me that the central premise of the Flashman series – that HPF is a base and venal creature, and his heroic public persona a mere sham – no longer holds water in the present day.

In 2011, we KNOW our idols have feet of clay. We almost expect it.

A modern Flashman could fiddle his expenses, accept bribes, attend fetish parties, indulge in substance abuse and show up at fancy-dress parties in Nazi uniform, without being any worse or any more noteworthy than our actual ruling class.

And let's face it… Flashy's more heinous antics are not going to go down well with a modern audience, are they?
His sympathies with local religions & customs and his readiness to collaborate don't sit easily when the OPFOR is Al Qaeda. His protest that he only found rape to be 'necessary' on one occaision.

In short, the minor stuff no longer seems remarkable, and the major stuff isn't going to pass editing.

And…the Royal marines? Flashman as a "Bootie"?
That strikes a duff note.

Gwydion04 Jan 2012 9:13 a.m. PST

No-one said Flashman (Great great grandson) was a bootie – the author was.

sjwalker3804 Jan 2012 9:31 a.m. PST

The blurb from Amaon…

"Through the winter of 2002/3, as Britain and the United States prepare for war with Iraq, one man above all others is doing his utmost to avoid conflict. Step forward Captain Harry Flashman, a staff officer with the Queen's Royal Hussars and distant descendant of legendary Victorian scoundrel General Sir Harry Flashman, VC. The passing generations have done nothing to fortify his moral fibre. Flashman's journey begins with a posting to Plymouth, home of the Royal Marines, in time to join the impending Gulf deployment. Despite his protestations he is shipped to Kuwait to begin a relatively secure job with Brigade Headquarters. But his plans for a cosy war spent safely behind a desk are rudely interrupted by an enforced move to a front-line unit. After bust-ups with the Americans and a foiled attempt to avoid the invasion altogether, Flashman finds himself in the one place he has tried so hard to avoid: the very vanguard of the assault. Landing by helicopter with the Royal Marines, he is soon footslogging through the mud and fighting for his life as the men of 42 Commando seize their objectives on the Al Faw Peninsula. Based on the experiences of the author, Harry Flashman and the Invasion of Iraq is a historically accurate account of events in the Gulf during spring 2003 – embellished only slightly for the enjoyment of the reader"

Chris B Inactive Member04 Jan 2012 9:41 a.m. PST

I'm happy with the Flashman canon as it is, really. "Authorized" sequels or books cobbled together from notes often have the effect of making what came before somehow less cool. Leave Flashy alone.

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2012 9:58 a.m. PST

Oh Dear…

axabrax04 Jan 2012 10:01 a.m. PST

For the first time in recorded history, I agree 100% with the OFM ;D

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2012 10:06 a.m. PST

A stopped clock is right twice a day, so don't let it bother you too much.

Bindon Blood04 Jan 2012 10:57 a.m. PST

Even though it isn't by GMF I'll probably buy it. Firstly I quite like the idea of a modern day Flashman and secondly, my nephew was in 42 Commando at the time.. Who knows, I might even buy two copies and send one to him!

Dr Mathias Fezian04 Jan 2012 11:32 a.m. PST

I'd rather re-read the originals (just discovered Flashman about a year ago).

Personal logo enfant perdus Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2012 11:45 a.m. PST

Flashman died on January 2nd, 2008. He, like any old soldier, should be left to rest in peace. The thought of Flashy resurrected and being placed in less capable hands than GMF's is too much to bear.

AndrewGPaul Inactive Member04 Jan 2012 12:02 p.m. PST

This book doesn't seem any more distasteful than GMF appropriating a character from Tom Brown's Schooldays in the first place.

Of course, it could still be crap, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

epturner Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2012 12:46 p.m. PST

Now, had he been posted to Cdo Log Regt in Kandahar, and attached to a certain element of the 151 London Transport Reg't (RLC) (V) that was working there, I must just beleive it.

Yes, Alex, I'm talking to YOU.

But, I too agree with the OFM about other hacks taking up where the original author has left off…

Eric

jpattern2 Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2012 4:07 p.m. PST

Leave 'im be. We have the originals, we don't need any pastiches.

Sparker04 Jan 2012 11:00 p.m. PST

Yes I'm not comfortable with the idea of a modern Flashman either.

Myself excluded, modern officer selection procedures and training would weed out a cad of Flashman's type long before he got to be a Captain with Regimental service..it just doesn't feel right…

Strictly a 19thC thing with Commission purchase and that kind of thing, dontcha know….What!

Ben Waterhouse05 Jan 2012 5:43 a.m. PST

@Sparker, I wouldn't be too sure about that….

Royal Marine05 Jan 2012 9:07 a.m. PST

Right wot's all this about then?

Flashman as a floopy haired Cavalry officer attached to 3 CDOX during TELIC 1? Possible.

A Bootneck taking the mickey out of the Army. Sure thing.

Flashman dead in 2008. Unlikely.

Sparker … I've met the fellow many times before, although sometimes he was in the Guards Divions (Mounted component).

Might just have to go and get me a copy ;-)

… and no I didn't write it.

Sparker05 Jan 2012 2:51 p.m. PST

Hi Royal – so thats the new buzz for 2012 – Royal Marine is the real author of the new Flashman novel – it will make the whole 'who wrote Shakespeare' mysteries seem sooo last year….

Royal Marine06 Jan 2012 4:42 a.m. PST

Sherlock Holmes is the true author of all Shakespeare. He did it whilst down in the West Country when investigating a Hound marauding around Dartmoor.

Flashman is not a "Royal Marine" production but he is still alive and has moved on from Bde HQ back to the Army beacuse he needed access to his batman – the Corps told him he had to clean his own boots on operations which went down like bacon sandwich at a synagogue.

Khusrau Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2012 7:15 a.m. PST

It might be bad. Or it might be good. Let's wait and see whether it is much of a well referenced and rollicking good tale as the GMF original. (I doubt it, if only for the reason that we can safely put our moral and nationalistic prejudices aside for 1850, much less so for 2001..)

regards

Buff Orpington Inactive Member06 Jan 2012 1:34 p.m. PST

Myself excluded, modern officer selection procedures and training would weed out a cad of Flashman's type long before he got to be a Captain with Regimental service.

Still plenty of Ruperts knocking about in the donkey walloping regiments.

Andrew Preziosi13 Mar 2012 6:35 a.m. PST

Right wot's all this about then?

Flashman as a floopy haired Cavalry officer attached to 3 CDOX during TELIC 1? Possible.

A Bootneck taking the mickey out of the Army. Sure thing.

Flashman dead in 2008. Unlikely.

Sparker … I've met the fellow many times before, although sometimes he was in the Guards Divions (Mounted component).

I just love authentic, "between the wars" RAF Fighter pilot talk speech word babel stuff things…talk!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.