Help support TMP

"Stand, Base, or Element?" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Basing Message Board

Back to the Game Design Message Board

660 hits since 26 Nov 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Wartopia Inactive Member26 Nov 2011 5:35 a.m. PST

When a few figures are glued to a single flat square/rectangle/circle of plastic, wood, or metal the result is called a:

A. Stand

B. Base

C. Element

I'm wondering about this because recently while discussing FoW with some friends, several of whom have been playing FoW for years, they called these stands rather than "teams" per the rule book.

Stand is very common while element seems primarily a WRG/DBx term and base less common, at least here in the US. The old Fist Full of Miniatures rules used the term base.

I'm also curious after leafing through some old, old rule books which counted individual figures or even recorded casualties on a clipboard. Today such games seem few and far between as gaming moved toward "atomic basing" to borrow a term from an old MWAN artical (I miss that magazine!). I remember when Fire and Fury was a big deal for counting stands instead of figures as GDW's venerable JR had (although On to Richmond presates F&F those rules didn't spread as far as F&F.)

Also, does anyone still use poster board anymore? I remember laboriously cutting out poster board bases the moving to plastic when I discovered that one need only score the material and then snap out the bases.

You know, maybe a stand is a base with the figures glued on and an element is a weird British term! :-)

Personal logo Angel Barracks Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Nov 2011 5:40 a.m. PST

I tend to use base.
Rarely use stand.
Never used element.

I am British.

Connard Sage Inactive Member26 Nov 2011 5:42 a.m. PST

Wot AB said.

Major Bumsore26 Nov 2011 5:54 a.m. PST

Element, as you say is the term used in WRG rules.

Otherwise what AB said.

Also, does anyone still use poster board anymore? I remember laboriously cutting out poster board bases the moving to plastic when I discovered that one need only score the material and then snap out the bases

Many years ago I used to mount my figures on thin cardboard. Then I discovered mount board (Daler etc). I have continued to use mount board ever since (must be getting on for 30 years!). My favourite is Daler's Avocado Green.

Personal logo Florida Tory Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2011 6:04 a.m. PST

Depending on what they represent in the rules, we call them platoons, companies or troops.

The thing they are based on is called the base.

Rick

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP26 Nov 2011 6:07 a.m. PST

I usually call the thing they are on a base, the figures are just figures and it varies with the game. In flames of war they would be a team, in black powder they would just be part of a unit and would not really be referred to individually.

RobH Fezian26 Nov 2011 6:36 a.m. PST

Base, Based, Basing.

Personal logo doc mcb Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2011 6:38 a.m. PST

In PRIDE it's three stands to a unit; the CRT calls for removal of stands. We base on precut wood, but use mattboard with balsa strips for movement trays to hold the three stands of a unit. Movement trays also serve as markers for pre-battle blind deployment, and a unit is still considered to occupy the same space even when down to two or one stands. The tray makes that easy, plus works better on uneven terrain.

Personal logo x42brown Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2011 6:38 a.m. PST

The way I tend to think of this is

A. Stand:- a group of figures on a base.

B. Element:- the smallest size group of figures to have a meaning under a set of rules.

C. Base:- The thing figures are mounted on.

A set of rules would normally expect an element (or the name the rules were using) to be a stand but, as I will be using the figures under more than one set of rules, an element might be part of a stand or consist of more than one stand or individual figures.

This how I think of things not something I would insist on.

x42

Wartopia Inactive Member26 Nov 2011 7:16 a.m. PST

Brown, I think that makes a lot of sense and seems to be how these are actually used.

I suppose a related topic, perhaps for a new thread, is individual casualties vs full stand removal vs something else.

For 20th century+ games with multi-figure stands I prefer full stand removal a la Flames of War and PBI or AK-47.

For ancient/medieval mass battles I prefer multi-figure stands grouped in units but with an abstract casualty/morale system along the lines of Might of Arms.

Major Bumsore26 Nov 2011 8:07 a.m. PST

I think that makes a lot of sense and seems to be how these are actually used.

How so? There seems to be considerable dissent on the use of "stand" in the responses above!

Personal logo x42brown Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2011 8:10 a.m. PST

Margard
I am in the UK and that is the way I use the terms and have for a long time.

x42

yorkie o126 Nov 2011 8:32 a.m. PST

Ive always just called a base with figures on it….a base.

COL Scott0again Inactive Member26 Nov 2011 2:45 p.m. PST

I agree with Brown, and I am from the USA.

However if they were described to me in a different manner I would play it that way happy as a clam. Although I might make mistake in what I called it during the heat of battle.

punkrabbitt returns26 Nov 2011 3:43 p.m. PST

I tend to use all of them interchangeably. If game rules require one over the other or for different levels of org, I can do that too. Life is too short for precise, immutable definitions.

sillypoint Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2011 4:25 p.m. PST

Ditto tochtli

Bohemund27 Nov 2011 7:36 p.m. PST

For what it's worth, I generally use stand and base interchangeably, although I did use a set of rules that differentiated between stands and bases -- a stand was the old WRG standard base, while a base was a larger piece the unit was on. Combat was by "stands", each stand threw so many dice.
I think of elements as the smallest thing that acts independently. So in some rules an element is a stand, while in others it is not.

Bohemund27 Nov 2011 7:42 p.m. PST

For me, figures are glued to bases. I generally use stand and base interchangeably, although I did use a set of rules that differentiated between stands and bases -- a stand was the old WRG 60mm wide by 20/30/40mm deep standard base, while a base was a larger piece the unit was on. Combat was by "stands", and each unit threw so many dice per stand.
I think of elements as the smallest thing that acts independently. So in some rules an element is a stand, while in others it is not.

A Lot of Gaul28 Nov 2011 4:20 a.m. PST

Like others here, I tend to use "bases" and "stands" as interchangeable wargaming terms.

On the other hand, "elements" are…
YouTube link

RudyNelson28 Nov 2011 10:03 a.m. PST

I try to use stand but I do use base on ocassion. Most rules do need a glossary especially when multiple terms are used for the same item.

An element can be a manuever unit of multiple stands.

Omemin Inactive Member29 Nov 2011 12:24 p.m. PST

x42brown, I use the same terminology here in the US. Family's been here since c.1634.

number423 Jan 2012 7:29 p.m. PST

Can a stand be kneeling or prone figures though?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.