Help support TMP

"Images of Black Sea Pirates and thir vessels?" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Pirates Message Board

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

431 hits since 17 Nov 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Eli Arndt Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 11:42 a.m. PST

Does anybody know of a good resources where I can find images of Black Sea Pirates and their vessels? I'm finding internet searches plagued by the current crop of pirate fandom.

Thanks,

-Eli

IGWARG1 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian17 Nov 2011 11:59 a.m. PST

Judging from this message board you are looking for Cossacks. They raided Black sea and Caspian Sea coasts. Their vessels looked, called "chaika", were similar to Viking ships in appearance. Images of Viking, Cossack or Rus ships can be found on any search engine. Just search for "Cossack Chaika".

I do not know to what degree Turks themselves were pirates on Black sea, but they looked like regular Turks in Mediterranean. They probably used galleys.

Personal logo Eli Arndt Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 12:06 p.m. PST

Thanks for theh eadsup. I was just curious if there is any evidence that a Cossack pirating about was dressed any different than a regular Cossack.

I have found pictures of Ottoman pirates who seem to look pretty much like Turks anywhere.

-Eli

Personal logo Eli Arndt Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 12:27 p.m. PST

Guess not grin

picture

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.