Help support TMP

"My Valkeeri Raiding Party" Topic

25 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the SF Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the Pulp Gaming Message Board

Back to the SF Gallery Message Board

1,595 hits since 16 Nov 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo CmdrKiley Supporting Member of TMP16 Nov 2011 10:39 p.m. PST

I was fortunate enough to pick up the latest Retro Raygun releases from Hydra Miniatures back at Gen Con. The all new Valkeeri figures were very high on my 'To Buy' list when I got there.

picture

The sculpts are simply awesome and I can't believe it had taken me this long to get them done. Lot's of stuff on my workbench I needed to move out of the way first. So I finished the last of that this weekend and got to working on these lovely ladies.

picture

Keeping with the retro look, I stayed with a metallic body suit. I started by using Reaper Purple Steel and then applied Citadel Blue Glaze. Followed by a highlight of Purple Steel. The gloves and capes were painted with Reaper Ruby Metallic, the same color I used for the Valkeeri spaceship hulls. The guns and trim was Polly S Burnt Aluminum, also the same colors I used for the Valkeeri ships.

picture

I wanted something that said they were alien, so I decided with an unusual skin color. My first thoughts were green, but that seemed a bit too cliche (also I have some Orions in the works for my Starfleet project). However I have been reading the John Carter novels lately so I had to go with red. I used Reaper Blushing Rose for the base skin color mixing in some Tanned Highlight to the Blushing Rose for highlights on the face. Then I applied Citadel Baal Red Glaze. Wanting to stay alien and exotic, I painted the hair using Reaper Blood Black with a dark red highlight.

picture

To finish off the details I added a flourescent green ring round the rayguns.

Big Ian16 Nov 2011 11:22 p.m. PST

That is excellent brush work. The skin tone is really nice not too in your face red but enough to make them look alien. They look very Flash Gordon.
Well done.

Personal logo RavenscraftCybernetics Supporting Member of TMP16 Nov 2011 11:27 p.m. PST

SCHWING!

krieghund17 Nov 2011 12:04 a.m. PST

Great work.

Mako1117 Nov 2011 12:39 a.m. PST

Very nice!

No doubt, Capt'n Kirk, or Buck Rogers would be happen to be taken prisoner by the likes of them…..

Angel Barracks17 Nov 2011 3:04 a.m. PST

Pulp-tastic.

PapaSync17 Nov 2011 6:48 a.m. PST

NICE Boobies. . .

8)

Personal logo Dances With Words Supporting Member of TMP Fezian17 Nov 2011 8:02 a.m. PST

Sweeeeeettt!

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 8:36 a.m. PST

Nice job on making the cloak and clothes have that metallic sheen to them.
beer

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 8:43 a.m. PST

Nice!

The Angry Piper Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 8:44 a.m. PST

Once again, a cool color scheme on your Hydra stuff. I haven't bought any Valkeeri yet and my all my Galacteers are mostly unpainted. The Cosmic Stranger is currently on my paint table, ready to begin when I am.

Speaking of Polly S paints, are they still around? Some of the best paints I owned were Polly S and no one near me stocks them anymore. I thought they went out of business.

Personal logo CmdrKiley Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 9:05 a.m. PST

Thanks for the compliements everyone!

I don't know if the Polly S, particularly their water based metalizers, are still around. They're owned by the same company as Testors. I just so happen to have several bottles in my paint collection that I closely guard as they are simply the best water based metallic paints I have ever used.

The Burnt Aluminum is one of my favorite as it is a bright metallic finish with a very faint pink tint that shows up when the light hits it just right. The Copper is another one, which I use to paint my Robot Legion models. It's not as orange as most copper paints and has a little green it too.

picture

ScoutII Inactive Member17 Nov 2011 11:58 a.m. PST

Speaking of Polly S paints, are they still around?

The name is still around, you should be able to order them from any store that stocks Testor's paints – and most model train stores will stock them.

The formulas have changed a couple times over the years – but they are still an excellent paint.

The Burnt Aluminum is one of my favorite as it is a bright metallic finish with a very faint pink tint that shows up when the light hits it just right.

That particular paint has disappeared (think all of the metallics where removed from the Poly Scale line). However, the Model Master metallics are excellent and many are water based. I use them or Alclad (best metallics I have ever seen…though not water based).

You can see a fairly comprehensive write up (with pictures) here of Alclad and Model Master metallics:

link

Anywho, after seeing these painted up…I am really considering using a flipping paint on mine. Something like a green/purple flip with candy apple red cloaks would look the part I think. The figures are smooth enough that those types of paints should work without a whole lot of work.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 1:59 p.m. PST

Mako11--I was thinking, "Captain Kirk would do her" and then I read your post!

Personal logo justBill Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 5:38 p.m. PST

Awesome work!

Hydra Studios Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 8:11 p.m. PST

Wow, Thom!

I just found this thread an your use of metallics is outstanding. Thanks for a really unique approach to the Valkeeri!

-Matt Beauchamp
Hydra Miniatures
hydraminiatures.com

Personal logo flooglestreet Supporting Member of TMP17 Nov 2011 9:26 p.m. PST

First rate stuff, I will have to consider a metallic for mine, as well.

Personal logo CmdrKiley Supporting Member of TMP18 Nov 2011 12:06 a.m. PST

Thanks again for the compliments and thanks for the tips on the metallic paints.

Just in case you haven't seen these before, here's what my Valkeeri cruise around in when prowling for males.

picture

The hulls were done in the same Ruby Metallic and Burnt Aluminum, you can see the pink in the metallic very well here. I don't necessarially like it because it's pink, just that it seems rather unusual of a color. However, CdtKiley really likes the fleet "because they're pink and they're all girls".

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP18 Nov 2011 3:01 a.m. PST

I posted some pictures of the Valkeeri on my blog (http://bucksurdu.com/blog/?p=841). I went with a very different color scheme.

picture

I decided that Valkeeri have blue skin.

abdul666lw18 Nov 2011 10:17 a.m. PST

I decided that Valkeeri have blue skin.
For an instant I thought they have blue *sleeves and masks* evil grin (but an important detail was missing).

Great paint job both of you. The minis are really nice, if a little on the skinny side for my taste.

Personal logo Eli Arndt Supporting Member of TMP20 Nov 2011 9:00 a.m. PST

I had the same thought. The color shift in that picture really makes that look like a flesh tone.

-Eli

AWuuuu Supporting Member of TMP20 Nov 2011 12:28 p.m. PST

I love bodysuit mettalics..
I am sure I saw such stuff in the net in more naughty context..:>

abdul666lw21 Nov 2011 12:06 a.m. PST

Not really naughty, but heavily loaded with nostalgia:

picture

picture

YouTube link

Everything is bigger in Texas!"
Reportedly, girls from other States visiting Texas had to bitterly disagree evil grin

The Shadow Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2011 9:45 a.m. PST

>>I had the same thought. The color shift in that picture really makes that look like a flesh tone.<<

Looks like flesh to me too. Which makes that alien with his tongue sticking out look pretty lewd. :-)

chironex18 Apr 2012 6:50 a.m. PST

My Valkeeri have gone hideously wrong and then I see yours.

I don't see catsuits on the Valkeeri girls, so I'm just painting their leotards on… though I'm also going for metallic, I have a nice blue-green metallic colour, now if I could just !$%@%&#&($%^$%!#!&$E@ do them…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.