Help support TMP

"The SAS secret hidden since World War II" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Media Message Board

Back to the WWII Aviation Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

1,099 hits since 23 Sep 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Terrement Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2011 10:15 a.m. PST

link

"A secret World War II diary of the British special forces unit, the SAS, has been kept hidden since it was created in 1946. Now it's being published for the first time to mark the 70th anniversary of the regiment. The BBC has exclusive access to the remarkable piece of history. "

Story at link.

JJ

Major Bumsore23 Sep 2011 10:41 a.m. PST
Terrement Supporting Member of TMP23 Sep 2011 12:05 p.m. PST

Thanks – missed that as I don't normally do WW II boards but saw this article and thought it might be of interest.

Angus9923 Sep 2011 5:15 p.m. PST

I'm a little puzzled by the marketing strategy here. By selling only in these stratospherically expensive limited editions, they have to be shutting out thousands of buyers. I would love to read it, but could never justify the price. Given the size and scope, I'd never expect it to be cheap, but sell it in a mass market version, and I have to think they'd have a pretty wide market. I'm sorry I'll never get the chance to own one.

Mister X Inactive Member23 Sep 2011 5:32 p.m. PST

Thanks for posting, Terrement! What a wonderful article about the SAS. Too bad I don't have 975 British pounds, that would be an amazing read.

alphus9924 Sep 2011 1:57 a.m. PST

Yes, I was also shocked at the price! The smart marketing strategy would be to publish in this deluxe collector's edition and then publish a more mass market version – here's hoping they do : ]

Wolfprophet24 Sep 2011 7:16 a.m. PST

"975 British pounds"

WHAT THE HELL?! That's over $1,500. USD
Me thinks the marketing strategy is "Lets make it available, but we really really don't want people to know the secret. So make it cost more than a used car."

XV Brigada Inactive Member24 Sep 2011 4:27 p.m. PST

Read the link and take a look at the video.

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2011 3:13 a.m. PST

It is a *HUGE* book, but the Audubon 'baby elephant' folio (about the same size) is only $200. USD

1815Guy Supporting Member of TMP26 Sep 2011 4:52 p.m. PST

"Yes, I was also shocked at the price! The smart marketing strategy would be to publish in this deluxe collector's edition and then publish a more mass market version here's hoping they do : ]"

Yes, they probably intend to serialise it in the News of the World afterwards……. errr…… ooopps!

That expensive one is probably aimed at Libraries/institutions. Once you get over £100.00 GBP I guess you can charge what you like, as only the desperate, the nuts and the organisations spending someone else's money are going to buy it, so wade in and maximise money, not sales.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.