Help support TMP

"Italian paratrooper question" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

2,146 hits since 7 Sep 2011
©1994-2017 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo foxbat Supporting Member of TMP07 Sep 2011 11:03 a.m. PST

picture

What is the piece of equipment that looks like a floating vest actually? Thanks in advance.

Pizzagrenadier07 Sep 2011 11:04 a.m. PST

Those are a chest pouches for SMG magazines.

The strange thing is, they had them on the back as well (IIRC). Not sure how you would get to those during combat, but it did allow for you to carry more loaded mags. Perhaps you would also grab some from your buddy? Or rotate the vest when the ones in the front were empty?

I always thought Italian paras looked ahead of their time as far as uniforms and equipment.

Personal logo foxbat Supporting Member of TMP07 Sep 2011 11:11 a.m. PST

Fast and accurate answer, thanks a lot. Indeed, they have a great looking uniform. Makes me feel like painting up and playing some

emckinney07 Sep 2011 11:50 a.m. PST

OK, lazy questions, what's the vehicle in back?

mass mosc07 Sep 2011 11:55 a.m. PST

It's called "samurai". There were two versions, one with 5 magazines and one with 5 (front) + 7 (back) magazines.

picture

delta6ct Inactive Member07 Sep 2011 12:36 p.m. PST

emckinney-

I think the vehicle in the background is a Sahariana:

link

Mike

Personal logo Mserafin Supporting Member of TMP07 Sep 2011 12:39 p.m. PST

I believe the vehicle in the back is a Sahariana AS42, a recon vehicle, with a 20mm gun mounted on it:

link

Apparently a unit of Italian paras operated as a recon unit in Russia with a German division (2nd para?), using these vehicles.

Terry L07 Sep 2011 1:29 p.m. PST

It looks like their uniforms are of the same pattern of the German paratroopers?

emckinney07 Sep 2011 1:34 p.m. PST

Thanks, guys.

John Leahy07 Sep 2011 3:05 p.m. PST

Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. This is TMP is best at!

John

mass mosc08 Sep 2011 8:01 a.m. PST

The pattern is unique to Italians, the cut is similar to the German one.
link

Italian paratroopers were not deployed in Russia.
Generally speaking, if the uniform is sand than it is El Alamein. If the uniform is green, then we are speaking about Anzio or before. Instead if it is blue, then is later in war.

mass mosc08 Sep 2011 8:12 a.m. PST

Some pictures of mine. They are 1/6 action figures.

picture

picture

picture

Personal logo Mserafin Supporting Member of TMP08 Sep 2011 10:09 a.m. PST

mass mosc,

Please see this discussion at the Axis History Forum about Italian paratroopers forming a recon unit for the German 2nd FJ Division in Russia, then on the Western Front:

link

My Italian is not so good, but I think it says that about 50 Italian paras joined the Germans after the armistice in 1943, and served with them until the end of the war.

Pizzagrenadier08 Sep 2011 7:09 p.m. PST

Oh man, now I really want to do that recon unit…

mass mosc09 Sep 2011 8:26 a.m. PST

Sorry, I didn't know this fact! But in the forum they say that uniforms aren't Italians but Germans.

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member09 Sep 2011 11:15 a.m. PST

I asked about this subject back in 2008 and also recieved some info.

Here.
"Italian Paras that fought in Operation Market Garden?"
TMP link
And here,
Italian Paras during Market Garden?
link

Robert

GOTHIC LINE MINIATURES09 Sep 2011 6:03 p.m. PST

Hello Iron Ivan Keith,and all the guys,the vest is a great piece of Italian design.

You could access the magazines in the back just by turning the vest around the neck,thus the front(empty)pouches would then face back and the new ones would face the front.

The cords on the sides had to be dealt with in a hurry of course!
Gui

GOTHIC LINE MINIATURES09 Sep 2011 6:03 p.m. PST

By the way are these already mass produced in 28mm???
I might give it a shot!

11th ACR24 Mar 2012 11:29 a.m. PST

Here is the review of the Caesar WWII Italian Paratroopers.

link

Beagle08 Sep 2017 11:48 a.m. PST

"Not sure how you would get to those during combat, but it did allow for you to carry more loaded mags."

That is how you reload when you are lying on your stomach trying to keep your head down. We did it all the time in Vietnam – kept two ammo pouches in front and two in back.

Lion in the Stars08 Sep 2017 4:04 p.m. PST

Wow, threadomancy much, Beagle?

Also makes it easier for your teammates to grab ammo if you have a few on your back.

Skarper08 Sep 2017 8:04 p.m. PST

I think it would be easy enough to get to the rear pouches. It would be rare not to have a buddy who could help out and there would be lulls when you could rearrange your gear. 5 magazines is a lot of ammo indeed more than some carried at all [Germans seem only to have had 5 magazines +1 in the MP40 officially though photos usually show they had 6+1].

Easier to get them from a back pouch than dig them out of your haversack anyway.

I wonder how comfortable they were to wear?

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.