Help support TMP

"15mm Creatures From "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" (2011)?" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the Horror Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

2,800 hits since 22 Aug 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP22 Aug 2011 5:25 p.m. PST

Anything like it, for 15mm humans?

link

Thanks,

Dan

rvandusen22 Aug 2011 5:38 p.m. PST

I am looking forward to this. I remember the original made for TV movie. I watched it's premier when I was just a kid-'Sally, Sally, Sally'! One of the only movies I'll see at the theater.

Space Monkey22 Aug 2011 6:03 p.m. PST

They make for great goblins… the old fairy-tale variety.

rvandusen22 Aug 2011 6:13 p.m. PST

No Guillermo del Toro should do remakes of "Gargoyles" and "Devil Dog: Hound of Hell." I'm joking about the 2nd one, but "Gargoyles" would make for an excellent re-make in del Toro's hands.

CC-what about using Khurasan's imps as stand-ins? They don't really look like the goblins, but maybe adding a pointed head might work.

28mmMan Inactive Member22 Aug 2011 6:15 p.m. PST

They look like long limbed rats to me…which in 15 would be 1mm or less…but if you are thinking of boosting the size to 15mm human standard, then I would look to a rat to start with.

You get a decent look in this clip

YouTube link

Space Monkey22 Aug 2011 6:28 p.m. PST

Hmmm… do they have tails? In that clip they do look like rats… but in others I've seen they look like spidery-limbed humanoids.

28mmMan Inactive Member22 Aug 2011 6:32 p.m. PST

I would like Guillermo del Toro to take a shot at the classic film, The Raven

imdb.com/title/tt0057449

picture

There have been a bunch of "the raven" films though unrelated to the subject at hand, including one coming out next year, so another title would need to be set…but the potential is there.

(wiki clip)
In this tongue-in-cheek movie inspired by Poe's poem, Dr. Craven is the son of a great sorcerer (now dead) who was once himself quite skilled at that profession, but has since abandoned it. One evening, a cowardly fool of a magician named Bedlo comes to Craven for help- the evil Scarabus has turned him into a raven and he needs someone to change him back. He also tells the reluctant wizard that Craven's long-lost wife Lenore, whom he loved greatly and thought dead, is living with the despised Scarabus.

Casting…casting is the rub.

To keep the comedic flow but still having the range for the horror aspect.

Maybe Guillermo is not the best choice here…dare I say that this may be right up Tim Burton's alley.

28mmMan Inactive Member22 Aug 2011 6:34 p.m. PST

"Hmmm… do they have tails? In that clip they do look like rats… but in others I've seen they look like spidery-limbed humanoids."

Doesn't look like tails…but spidery armed rat bodied little humanoids seems accurate at this point :)

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP22 Aug 2011 9:30 p.m. PST

Rvandusen,

The 1972 film Gargoyles was awesome:

TMP link

I don't know if a modern CGI-riddled remake would have the same impact though.

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP22 Aug 2011 9:32 p.m. PST

Interesting faces, on those DBAOTD (2011) "rats":

picture

picture

And their hands do look more humanoid than rodent, though you can't really see that in this pic:

picture

The second they cut the power you can see their faces a bit more clearly, but you really have to stop the trailer just in time (at 1:18, I think):

YouTube link

Dan

skinkmasterreturns22 Aug 2011 10:00 p.m. PST

This movie scared the crap out of me as a kid! I found it on YouTube awhile back,as well as Gargoyles.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP28 Aug 2011 2:24 a.m. PST

Anyone found any other stills?

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP24 Jun 2012 10:01 p.m. PST

The more I look at pictures of them, the more the critters from the 2011 version really look like mini-Morlocks or something along those lines:

link

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

artofvfx.com/?p=1697

picture

picture

Now, if they were sculpted to just under the height of a 15mm human, to make them represent something 4 or 5 ft tall or so, that would be so cool.

Dan
PS. Weird account of a pact struck by Pope with the evil tooth fairies (the "Dente Mangiatori") in the year 999AD:
link
link

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP04 Dec 2012 12:04 a.m. PST

Guys,

Any new possible candidates?

link

Dan

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.