Help support TMP

"U.S.S. Monitor" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ironclads Message Board

603 hits since 12 Aug 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP12 Aug 2011 5:29 p.m. PST

Interesting news and photo of that old ship.

link

link

Hope you enjoy!.

Amicalement
Armand

Personal logo redmist1122 Supporting Member of TMP12 Aug 2011 5:39 p.m. PST

I saw the USS Monitor two weeks ago in the Mariner's Museum and took about 300 pics. That museum ranks up there in my top 3 museums to see! I was in VA on business, and knew I wouldn't be back anytime soon. Highly recommend to go see and do. The USS Monitor is only one facet of the place and has a lot more to offer.

P.

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP12 Aug 2011 6:40 p.m. PST

Could you post some of your pics here?

Amicalement
Armand

thosmoss12 Aug 2011 6:54 p.m. PST

The book:

"Monitor: The Story of the Legendary Civil War Ironclad and The Man Whose Invention Changed the Course of History" by James T. De Kay

was an absolutely fantastic read. The bureaucracy surrounding it was almost as fascinating as the ships history.

Personal logo redmist1122 Supporting Member of TMP13 Aug 2011 3:54 p.m. PST

Give me a day to post to my Photobucket account…

P.

Personal logo redmist1122 Supporting Member of TMP14 Aug 2011 7:33 p.m. PST

All, here's pics of my trip to the Mariner's Museum and the Virginia War Museum. The pics kinda uploaded out of sequence…enjoy!!!

link

P.

flicking wargamer15 Aug 2011 5:59 a.m. PST

There is nothing that makes you feel old more than seeing something you own in a museum. That copy of Ironclads does it for me again. This is the second time I have seen that game in a museum. The first time was at the toy museum in Natural Bridge, Virginia.

Personal logo John the Greater Supporting Member of TMP15 Aug 2011 7:02 a.m. PST

Another good book is "The Monitor Chronicles : One Sailor's Account. Today's Campaign to Recover the Civil War Wreck" which is both a collection of letters from the Monitor's third engineer and a description of the modern recovery efforts.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.