Help support TMP

"10mm or 6mm Napoleonic and which manufacturer to chose?" Topic

78 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Product Reviews Message Board

5,442 hits since 1 Aug 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 

Personal logo Private Matter Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 7:15 a.m. PST

I am looking to get in to large scale (as opposed to skirmish) Napoleonic gaming and am trying to consider who to go with. I like the smaller scale figures since you can fit lots of them on a table to achieve the visual impression of masses of troops. I am interested in both the Peninsular War and Napoleon's little sightseeing trip to the Kremlin so I would want either range covered. The next consideration and perhaps the major consideration is that I am generally low on funds and really shouldn't be spend money of figures but after all wargaming is my crack. Can anybody give me recommendations on which way to go? Thanks

Connard Sage Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 7:16 a.m. PST

6mm. Baccus

Other figure manufacturers and sizes are available.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 7:26 a.m. PST

I'd go with 10mm Old Glory. With the OG card they are pretty inexpensive. They are nice figures, they mass up very well on the table top and since they are in strips they are a snap to paint.

NigelM Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 7:27 a.m. PST

I really wish I was starting from scratch at the moment because I'd be getting the new 10mm range from Pendraken. Currently it only covers 1809 French and Austrian but is expanding rapidly, Russians can be found in their older (but still good) 1812 range. Their Peninsular range though is very old and probably should be avoided but replacements will arrive at some point according to posts on their forum.

Grizzlymc Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 7:31 a.m. PST

6mm Baccus and Adler.

All else is heresy and will cause impotence and housemaids knee.

Personal logo Stosstruppen Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 7:32 a.m. PST

I am doing 6mm Adler……

Connard Sage Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 7:39 a.m. PST

All else is heresy and will cause impotence and housemaids knee.

That explains half my problem…

Angel Barracks02 Aug 2011 7:39 a.m. PST

6mm Irregular, the figures are shoulder to shoulder so you get more men per frontage and they are sturdier as they have less in the way of bayonets sticking out etc.

Some Irregular on show here:

link

However most people prefer Adler or Baccus.

meledward23 Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 7:41 a.m. PST

I have done the following:
6mm Baccus
10mm OG Naps
10mm Pendraken.

I do 10mm.

Here is my summary:

6mm Baccus are to small for my taste. Hell my friends couldnt tell if they were looking at the front or back of some of my troops. The have the same frontage as old Glory 10mm as far as figures per mm (for infantry, you can get more cav. in on a 40mm wide base though). Depth wise 6mm does have the advantage. You can get more ranks. in same space with 6mm than 10mm.

Pendraken vs Old Glory.

Pendraken, the Cavalry is simply superior in my opinion. OG cav has two issues. One is flash between legs that is impossible in some cases to get rid of. Two is the riders are a pain to mount and often need filler or just have odd gaps. Pendraken most the sculpts are better.

Infantry, I prefer OG in many cases. I clip the strips. I built my Austrian army with 2 rows of 7 on a 40x20 base. My French army has 2 rows of 8 on a 40x20 base. Thats 16 figures on 40x20 for infantry. Pendraken, if you do some small clipping on the base (individual figures, but base needs to be trimmed) you can fit 7 per row. They have more detail than OG, but I am going for mass effect.

I do think infantry wise Pendraken command is better as you can customize the ratio of flags officers and drummers. OG command strips are a pain IMHO.

Grizzlymc Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 7:44 a.m. PST

Hell my friends couldnt tell if they were looking at the front or back of some of my troops.

Hell, I have that problem with 54s – its not the castings either!

IainJL Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 8:02 a.m. PST

I have just finished painting a Russian army based on 40mm frontage and 20mm depth bases for Lasalle (and Black Powder) in 6mm. A base has 16 infanty figures on it and between 4 and 6 bases makes a unit (battalion). Cavalry has 5-6 figs per base and two guns per base.

I went for Adler though it could easily have been Baccus and may yet be as I am going to get French next.

The price is pretty similar between the two but as you can buy strips with Adler there is no redundancy in what you buy.

I too like 10mm but 64 figs per battalion with mounted officers looks very impressive and is surpisingly quick to paint. The cavalry looks outstanding en masse.

Painting was pretty easy also (particulalry as a few of the infantry units I bought in Greatcoat)

What convinced me was the artillery (and the fact I could buy a couple of limbers and a caisson per battery). The artillery looks the best and it wasn't too hard on the wallet.

Baccus are more robust and mounted in strips of 4 are easier to base to my chosen base size but my Adler troops look a little less uniform. Also Adler's range is wider (check out their new cossacks).

XV Brigada Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 8:16 a.m. PST

@ PM,

I had the same problem recently.

I decided against Adler 6mm as the heads were not to my liking.

I decided on Magister Militum who have a good range of 10mm.

link

Bill

Surferdude02 Aug 2011 8:20 a.m. PST

10mm … I have Old Glory mainly with a bit of Redline/Bend Sinister.

Got rid of the 6mm as I figure the 10mm looks better and the 6mm is probably harder to paint well and you have to do a few more …

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 8:37 a.m. PST

What Connard said.

Doug

Personal logo War Artisan Sponsoring Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 9:13 a.m. PST

10mm will give you the visual you are looking for, at the same time preserving much of the character of the individual figures. It will also give you a wider range of choices, since there are more manufacturers with actively expanding lines in that scale, almost all of which are compatible in the same army, if not in the same unit. For more info on that, have a look at 10mmworld.com.

If cost is the overriding factor then 6mm will be your choice, but I personally have never regretted giving up my 6mm Adler armies for 10mm AIM/Pendraken/Old Glory.

Jeff
warartisan.com

meledward23 Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 9:25 a.m. PST

Oh and if it matters to you, there was a poll what sometime back.

picture

Not the greatest shot, but that is a 10mm Olg Glory Austrian army. The first napoleon army I have painted up.

mex10mm02 Aug 2011 10:02 a.m. PST

I went for 6mm Baccus and Adler miniatures for my Napoleonic armies.
I have painted large 1809 Austrian and French armies plus some Saxons and Poles.
I like the massed formation effect of 6mm but I guess it can also be achived using 10mm miniatures.
So it a matter of personal taste. Both size minis are cheap so you can order samples of both to see which one is best for you.

Greystreak02 Aug 2011 10:05 a.m. PST

Life's too short. Come big, or stay home. 28mm, because you know you want to.

picture

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 10:43 a.m. PST

Life's too short.

Indeed. In 28mm, those 16 that might be all he manages to finish painting (or paying for) in a lifetime. wink

Doug

12345678 Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 11:25 a.m. PST

Adler 6mm….lovely!

Personal logo Private Matter Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 11:51 a.m. PST

I've already have over two hundred 28mm figures for my Sharp Practice games but now I want massed armies games.

Who sells 6mm and 10mm in the USA?

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 12:27 p.m. PST

Mass armies, low on funds, Peninsula and Russia?

6mm Baccus. The British, Spanish and Russian ranges have all recently been re-sculpted and expanded. They are excellent figures. The French range is due for the same treatment soon.

link

Steve W02 Aug 2011 12:36 p.m. PST

I think scale creep sells Baccus in the US

South Side Steve Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 1:21 p.m. PST

Go Heroics and Ros…real 6mm…..Alder is 10…Baccus is 8….and their cavalry still look like lumberjacks on ponies, and I think their cannons look…clunky.

flipper02 Aug 2011 1:23 p.m. PST

Hi

'The British, Spanish and Russian ranges have all recently been re-sculpted and expanded' – I didn't know that the British had been reworked.

I previously was not very impressed with the Baccus range – I thought the bayonets were too weak and the sculpts not to my taste.

I picked up a sample pack of the new Russians and was impressed: the bayonets are more substantial and the figures if anything have too much detail!

The heads seem bigger and the faces have a more discernable set of features – in fact they are as good as (and better than) some of the 10mm ranges mentioned here.

If like me you have to paint whatever detail is on the figure they might be more time consuming, but cerainly the new sculpts are worth a look.

The new artillery pieces are also very nice.

bendsinister Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 1:57 p.m. PST

if you consider 10mm, then please take a look at Redline. I do a range of slimmer 10mm figures.

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

Si

Gazzola02 Aug 2011 2:08 p.m. PST

Private Matter

My suggestion is to buy sample packs and check them out. No matter what other wargamers say and suggest, you will only be happy when you see them in the flesh. It is a bit of pain to do, but well worth it in the end.

When I tried various 6mm samples I found that Adler, in my opinion, looked the best, had the best detail and painted up the best. I see no problems whatsoever with their heads.

I did consider going up to 10mm at one time, but none of the samples I saw inspired me enough to sell my Adler collection. And, even though I had read some favourable comments, some 6mm and 10mm miniatures I viewed in the flesh, were simply awful.

Best bet is take your time, order some samples, paint them up and base your decision on seeing them in the flesh. Can't go wrong that way.

Gazzola02 Aug 2011 2:13 p.m. PST

Greystreak

Lovely picture. I actually have some 28mm miniatures, which we plan to use in skirmish games. However, the effort to paint them is a bit daunting though, especially if you planned to fight bigger actions. But I'm warming to them, so you never know.,

corvettek225 Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 2:21 p.m. PST

Private Matter, I have done business with both Pendraken and Adler in the UK while living here in the US. I was always fully satisfied so, don't hesitate to buy from either. I am a huge fan of Pendraken 10mm but Adler 6mm will always tug at my heart strings.

Dave

chargebayonet.blogspot.com

Clovis Sangrail Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 2:36 p.m. PST

I stopped drinking the 25/28mm Kool Aid in '75 and have no desire to go back.

Having gone over to 10mm about 3 years ago, I've no desire to even go back to 15mm.

The results you can get are really good;

link

link

I'll put in a plug for Bendsinister and Pendraken for great figures and customer service.

Grizzlymc Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 2:41 p.m. PST

To put in a plug for Adler – it is true that a blown up photo of an adler figure looks a bit odd next to a photo of a real human being. However, the big heads mean an easy to paint hat – often the place where distinctions are visible, and once you have 70 of them lined up they look perfectly natural – unless they are next to Irregulat or H&R on which my humble painting abilities are limited to jacket, belts and pants.

Micman Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 2:53 p.m. PST

While way more $$ than the other ranges listed, GHQ has a line of great figures for 10mm Napoleonic battles. Worth looking at.

link

Has anyone taken over AIM since GFI shut down?

Clovis Sangrail Inactive Member02 Aug 2011 3:28 p.m. PST

GHQ are great figures but they suffer from very bendy lead which causes problems with the look of a unit. Their swords are so fine that the need replacing or they break. Their artillery is very good.

I'd love AIM to come back, the website was still down a couple of days ago.

Both AIM and GHQ suffered from limited ranges.

Magister Militium do some nice 10mm figures too and the number of ranges keeps expanding.

Leon Pendraken Sponsoring Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 4:23 p.m. PST

Private Matter, if you pop us an email through, we can get you some samples sent out, no bother.

pendraken.co.uk/Contact.aspx

Desert Fox Supporting Member of TMP02 Aug 2011 6:18 p.m. PST

I highly recommend Historifigs N-Scale (9mm) figures. They are cheap, are easy to paint up, look great painted, and come in a wide variety of nationalities and poses. And excellent service from Mike!

historifigs.com

ironlegs02 Aug 2011 6:20 p.m. PST

I've been really pleased with the Redline range from Bend Sinister. Good value, nice detail and proportions, easily painted and a growing range. Worth getting some samples sent. I found Si very helpful.

picture

picture

Lots of pictures at my blog
10mmnapoleonics.blogspot.com

Cheers

La Fleche02 Aug 2011 6:33 p.m. PST

Adler for me.

picture

kabrank03 Aug 2011 2:43 a.m. PST

Another vote for Magister Militum

link

Khusrau Supporting Member of TMP03 Aug 2011 3:50 a.m. PST

I love the Baccus 6mm… some examples.

link

link

link

link

link

Khusrau Supporting Member of TMP03 Aug 2011 3:55 a.m. PST

And if you can't get there..then fb has some..

link

link

link

link

1968billsfan Supporting Member of TMP03 Aug 2011 4:35 a.m. PST

I started life doing 25mm Seven Year's war, 25mm medievals and 1/285 microarmor. 25mm is expensive and just demands that you paint the entire figure very well and ultimately with a tiny brush to get the buttons and eyeballs right. Then I discovered 15mm Napoleonics and 15mm ACW and was happy quite a while, the tabletop became bigger and more movement and strategy could be brought into play, and more figures could be used per unit so battalion lines looked less like a section of skirmishers.

I like to see large number of figures in a battalion, and try at least to have a battalion represented by what would be half section (1/16th of a battalion) at 1:1. I own more raw 15mm figures than I can ever paint, so I am immortal. I bought a selection of Adler and Irregualar 6mm to see how they would be, but I find disadvantages that have been noted above. They are hard to paint well, it is difficult to paint them in any detail, they are hard to see and distiguish who is who, and the height of the stands is relatively so thick, that the figures look like they are standing on a stage, rather then walking on the ground.

Lately I have seen some 10mm ACW figures from Sargent Major and have found some new lusts in my wargaming. The figures are small enough to give the expanded tabletop, but not so small that you can't paint belts and ammo pouches. They look good in mass and the stand thickness are more acceptable visually. If I were you'all, I would go with 10mm instead of 15mm or 6mm.

Beeker03 Aug 2011 7:27 a.m. PST

For Napoleonics – Adlers for me! I'm dying here for the Austrian figs for the French Revolution period…

But for most everything else Pendraken ( I too love(d) the AIM figs)… btw.. Pendraken: how about some Italian Wars figs to go with the Rennaisance line?

Cheers!
Beeker

meledward23 Inactive Member03 Aug 2011 7:48 a.m. PST

Does anyone have photos of the Scrubby/Historifigs. I have read about them from time to time but never seen one.

Clovis Sangrail Inactive Member03 Aug 2011 8:48 a.m. PST

Meleward 23, I'll get some photos done for you. I've some that I haven't gotten around to painting yet. They remind me of Spencer Smith, not a lot of detail and very old school.

Leon Pendraken Sponsoring Member of TMP03 Aug 2011 11:41 a.m. PST

But for most everything else Pendraken ( I too love(d) the AIM figs)… btw.. Pendraken: how about some Italian Wars figs to go with the Rennaisance line?

Pop something in the 'Requests' area of our Forum and we'll see how much interest it gets.

link

sumerandakkad Supporting Member of TMP03 Aug 2011 2:44 p.m. PST

I'm with South Side Steve.
H&R give good qaulity and you can see what you are painting. Other suppliers I got had poor definition except Adler which were also excellent.

Personal logo Private Matter Supporting Member of TMP04 Aug 2011 3:38 a.m. PST

There are some very nice choices out there. This is going to be tougher than I thought and I feel like I'm back to square one. For all the figures, I am going to narrow it down to only those manufactures that I can order from a source in the USA. This is only because I plan to build my forces over time and the shipping costs from Europe only make sense for larger orders. The irony of all this that I can get GHQ through my local hobby shop at a 10% discount and don't have to pay shipping which makes them competitive to some of the other brands out there but I really like some of the suggestions that have come across.

The only brand suggested that I haven't been able to find any images of are the Historifigs/Jack Scruby n-gage figures.

meledward23 Inactive Member04 Aug 2011 3:51 a.m. PST

picture

just for kicks here is an old image I took once.

Thats Baccuss Indian Spearmen, Baccuss Russian Nap, and 10mm Old Glory Byz.

Maybe if I get a few minutes later today I will do a similar shot with Pendraken, OG10 and Baccus all Napeoleonic figures.

thewarstore sells pendraken
old glory 25's sells og10
scalecreep – ? not sure

two US sources off the top of my head for you.

meledward23 Inactive Member04 Aug 2011 4:39 a.m. PST

picture

here we go.

6mm Baccuss, 10mm OG, 10mm Pendraken respectively.

ghost02 Inactive Member04 Aug 2011 7:20 a.m. PST

Ack! I have two full armies in 6mm and now these make me want to scale up! I must resist! (Says to self: 6mm is the best.)

Pages: 1 2