Help support TMP

"When do you decide a warband just isn't viable?" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Mordheim Message Board

818 hits since 5 Jul 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Neotacha Inactive Member05 Jul 2011 9:01 a.m. PST

If their first game is bad, do you give them a second chance? Is it when the Captain dies or has so many injuries that if he were a dog you'd put him down?

What is your "this band sucks" point?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP05 Jul 2011 9:15 a.m. PST

First you bring in Lou Holz to give them his standard "I believe in you! Do you believe in you?" speech.

Naked Space Monkey Inactive Member05 Jul 2011 9:22 a.m. PST

Some times the worst bands are the most fun to play.

Thomas Whitten05 Jul 2011 9:27 a.m. PST

If their first game is bad, do you give them a second chance?

Yes, unless

What is your "this band sucks" point?

A new warband is significantly more capable. The underdog campaign rule gives weaker warbands a chance to catch back up but if the warband is too down on its luck, it is just no fun to play. That all depends on personal preference.

adub74 Inactive Member05 Jul 2011 9:28 a.m. PST

As with most scenarios and games, continue if you can present a tactical challenge both for your opponent and for yourself. Quit once you feel that your only choice is to sit there and take it.

Thomas Whitten05 Jul 2011 9:31 a.m. PST

Inkwell does have a point. Those warbands can be a lot of fun. Plus, just think of the bragging rights if one-armed Gimpy Mc Eye-Patch and the Street Urchins win a game!

altfritz05 Jul 2011 9:39 a.m. PST

I think it's a reverse situation. At least, in Necromunda, there was always a point when one band became too powerful. I assume it is the same in Mordhiem. when we did play (when it first came out) somebody had elves, and I think they were too powerful. Too many range weapons!

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP05 Jul 2011 9:48 a.m. PST

I give up on them when I loose more than 50% of the gang in a single fight.

Or when the gang gets stale and booooooring to play.
beer

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP05 Jul 2011 10:03 a.m. PST

When the lead vocalist starts crooning "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?".

Personal logo Doctor X Supporting Member of TMP05 Jul 2011 10:52 a.m. PST

In all the Mordhdim campaigns I've played in I've only seen one player throw in the towel.

The majority of his challenge was he was his own worst enemy. His strategy could be described as line up, move directly at enemy, hope for lucky dice. The result was a lot of warband members taken OOA (he rarely withdrew and fought to the end).

He didn't respond to suggestions from other players and then after he missed a few games even the underdog rules couldn't catch him up fast enough for his satisfaction.

So near the end of the campaign he started a different warband, listened to suggestions, and tried new things.

In the current campaign he has been playing much better and is the warband nobody wants to face right now.

mweaver Inactive Member05 Jul 2011 12:33 p.m. PST

If I can take 500 points and build a new warband that is better, that's the point. But that is rare, and generally only happens after a brand-new warband has some unlucky rolls on the "Serious Injury" chart post-game.

adub74 Inactive Member05 Jul 2011 1:21 p.m. PST

"after a brand-new warband has some unlucky rolls on the "Serious Injury" chart post-game."

Sounds like the game needs an "After the Holocaust" house rule. Basically, it's a house rule that protects the player(s) from any random starting conditional that's so horribly bad that it would prevent reasonable play. The starting condition in "After the Holocaust" was based on the weather; if the weather is bad the first turn then the player (or the whole game) is ruined.

link

AndrewGPaul05 Jul 2011 2:59 p.m. PST

If the leader is riddled with serious injuries, I'd keep it going – one Necromunda gang leader had an arm wound (-1 S), 2 leg wounds (-2 M), a chest wound (-1 T), 2 hand injuries (-2 WS) and was partially deaf. On the other hand, I retired a Blood Bowl team after three out of the 16 players (including my most experienced Blitzer) died in one game.

Personal logo Dropzonetoe Supporting Member of TMP Fezian05 Jul 2011 6:53 p.m. PST

I am with Andrew Paul… I will fight to the last man. I never quick till everyone else is ready to quit. If I do bad I can blame it on my cripples – If I do good I am a genius tactician who can maximize my limitations and still get a win ;)

Valator05 Jul 2011 11:49 p.m. PST

Some warbands have major problems if they lose their leader, while others can weather the storm. Sisters of Sigmar, Witch Hunters, and Dwarf Treasure Hunters are notoriously slow at the start, but will quickly grow in strength even without their original leader after the first dozen games. Mercenaries can do just fine despite losing single characters in games. Orcs and Goblins can progress without fail in any situation by virtue of cheap goblins to fill in the holes.

The only warbands that simply can't survive without their leaders in the early stages are the Possessed and Undead, as so much is invested into those characters and so much of their special rules are wrapped up in those irreplacable members.

mweaver Inactive Member06 Jul 2011 2:42 p.m. PST

We use the "Undead" special rule for all warbands: if your captain is killed, you have to play at least one game without him – but after that you have the option of buying a replacement.

Skipper06 Jul 2011 7:17 p.m. PST

I was reduced to a single dwarf in our last campaign, the lord, and he had to miss the next game. I have since managed to bring them back up to playable with 6 or 7 dwarves. It was pretty close to throwing in the towel, but they've worked out pretty good so far.

Unfortunately, we've parked the game for a while and are playing other games.

Personal logo Doctor X Supporting Member of TMP06 Jul 2011 9:43 p.m. PST

Mike, that is an interesting rule.

In your campaigns where you have used that, what was the goal of the campaign? Example, win "x" amount of games, etc.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.