Help support TMP

"RCW AAR using Blitzkrieg Commander" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

Back to the Russian Civil War Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Battle Reports Message Board

1,185 hits since 20 Jun 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Altius Inactive Member21 Jun 2011 9:13 a.m. PST

Tried these rules out for the first time with my RCW troops. I'm a big fan of CWC and FWC, but not too crazy about the results in this instance, but it was a fun experiment nonetheless.

link

Shedman Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2011 10:20 a.m. PST

Nice looking game. Was this BKC 1 or 2?

I was thinking of using BKC for WW1 in the east so thanks for the AAR. I noticed you were using units – were these fixed formations with their own commanders?

As you say there needs to be a bit of variety for the infantry as that is the main arm. Using the Saving roll as Morale is useful in conjunction with the Elite / Conscript / Stubborn modifiers

I usually play FWC – not only for Sci-Fi but also for 1859 Italy – so I'm wondering if it might also work for WW1. If Haig had access to teleporting tanks then the war would have been over by Christmas :)

raylev3 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2011 10:40 a.m. PST

I wouldn't think that BKC would work well for the Russian Civil War. BKC, although infantry are useful, is designed more for battles involving armor, whereas the RCW is more infantry/cavalry oriented.

I'd be curious as to whether you used BCK 1 or 2. I understand that BKC2 has better infantry rules.

Altius Inactive Member21 Jun 2011 11:38 a.m. PST

I believe it was BKC 1, although I'm not near my book to confirm that.

Shedman, I was not using fixed formations, but considered it before the game. I thought of also using the "rigid doctrine" from the CWC rules, but may try that in the future. I just wanted to keep things simple for the test game. I have also used FWC for skirmish games, and it works great. I may try that too.

The main problem I had was not so much the infantry capabilities. I can adjust those in the army list. I mostly didn't like the close combat rules. They seemed abstract, and there was very little contest to it. I'll take a look at BKC 2, and maybe it's better there.

raylev3 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2011 1:01 p.m. PST

Yeah, take a look at ver. 2. I believe the author adjusted the close combat rules based on his experience with CWC and FWC.

Mark Plant21 Jun 2011 7:34 p.m. PST

IMO it just becomes a generic WWI battle, with the new bits (charging cavalry, tachnakas, etc) badly handled by the rules.

I can't see what BKC brings to the RCW that other sets don't. (Not a criticism of them doing what they are meant to do, which I think they do well.)

12mac34 Inactive Member27 Oct 2011 10:15 p.m. PST

I was considering something similar. I am not discouraged by your dissatisfaction. Can you post your army lists?

Altius Inactive Member09 Dec 2011 8:04 a.m. PST

12mac34,
Sorry for the late response. I'm just seeing this now. At the time, I basically just used the Spanish Civil War lists from the BKC and made some tweaks on different units to account for unit quality. Since then, I made two completely new army lists based on Cold War Commander, because I think CWC has more nuance than BKC, particularly with infantry units. I will try to post them to the blog this weekend.

I think also that limiting the close combat to one or two rounds should do the trick. They worked just fine, but if a unit lost a round, it was all down hill after that. It's likely to lose all other rounds of combat that turn. And with the potentially unlimited number of rounds per turn, the net result was that otherwise healthy units would completely vanish in a single turn while its opponent might only suffer very few casualties even among similar troop types. By limiting the number of rounds, the loser can still get mauled, but it gets a fighting chance to survive.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.