Help support TMP

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War - Mud & Blood AAR" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Early 20th Century Scenarios Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the Early 20th Century Battle Reports Message Board

804 hits since 25 May 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Sidney Roundwood25 May 2011 8:49 a.m. PST

My local wargames club was plunged into pitch darkness last night as we play-tested some new night fighting rules for "Through the Mud and the Blood". I've posted the AAR on my blog here:

link

While the game was really only a play-test at this stage, it seemed (from what I've read about night actions on the Western Front in the Great War) to be getting close to a reasonable recreation of night fighting. By that I mean that it was a fumbling, unpredictable, frustrating stumble though gas drenched craters coupled with a series of incredibly savage close assaults between the two sides in which the opposing sides' bombers were clearly in the ascendance.

I tried to build into the game a lot of random elements with all units, regardless of being British or German, were rolled up randomly (producing between 6 to 8 figures, with varying weapons and ammunition, and with varying amounts of "shock"). Officers on both sides had a variable number of flares for a flare pistol (1D4), with the German Fahnrich being able to launch two large flare rockets at one point in the game. Each of the three British Big Men needed to search for their troops in No Man's Land, the precise location of each section being entirely randomised. Each battlefield crater searched would yield a card (randomly drawn). The cards stated the contents of each crater these totalled four leaderless British units in various states of "shock", a variety of wounded British and German soldiers, the lightly wounded Captain Limehouse, a variety of abandoned weaponry (some useable determined randomly), a lingering cloud of phosgene or mustard gas resting in the crater (determined randomly), some very large rats and some hideous corpses (the last two of no effect).

I was hoping what while the players would construct a rough plan of attack, the random element of the game would add a lot of unpredictability.

As I mention in the blog-post, this is the first of a couple of play-tests for night actions, so stay tuned for further instalments.

Sidney

Jovian125 May 2011 10:02 a.m. PST

Staying tuned in – can't wait to see your night fighting rules.

Phil Gray25 May 2011 10:46 a.m. PST

great aar, thanks!

Personal logo vtsaogames Supporting Member of TMP25 May 2011 6:57 p.m. PST

Excellent stuff, Sidney.

EvilGinger Inactive Member26 May 2011 11:01 a.m. PST

I shall do keep up the good work

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.