Help support TMP

"The Wings of Woe" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Early 20th Century Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Clubs Message Board

Back to the Biplanes Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

1,101 hits since 2 Apr 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

SealladhArd03 Apr 2011 1:02 p.m. PST

Kingsleypark's Wargaming Menagerie

It's those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines as I take to the skies to play Wings of War for the first time and also some piccies from my visit to a local wargames club.

link

Personal logo ajbartman Supporting Member of TMP03 Apr 2011 7:12 p.m. PST

Yes, it is a great game! Great pictures and report.

Celtic Tiger Inactive Member03 Apr 2011 10:47 p.m. PST

That is interesting. To be honest we did not have much success with Wings of War. Choosing the cards in advance meant that often only the first card was vaguely relevant and the ones after that were increasingly less so, with the planes just flying around in irrelevant directions for much of the play. When the enemy did come into your sights it was more by sheer luck than any judgement.

I also found that the system is based purely on the type of plane and doesn't really seem to represent the quality of the pilot very well.

For me the game felt absolutely random and whilst I can see it being popular with a non-wargaming audience I am surprise that it is so with wargamers who tend to look for more opportunites to make decisions other than just choosing a few cards and hoping.

It's a shame as I bought all of the planes, the rules and several expansions at one go, and now they never get used.

SealladhArd03 Apr 2011 11:02 p.m. PST

Well Dan, if you don't want to hang on to the game and the planes they will sell for much gold on eBay!!!

The problem we had with Red Baron was that you could literally play for hours without managing to get a decent shot on your opponent. In WoW only playing 3 cards per turn, you have a fair chance of anticipating where your opponent will be

Cerdic Supporting Member of TMP04 Apr 2011 2:03 a.m. PST

I thought the skill of the pilot was represented by the player attempting to 'second-guess' their opponent when choosing which cards to play.

E Murray Inactive Member04 Apr 2011 5:10 a.m. PST

Dan-

You could at least use the planes with another ruleset, right?

Old Slow Trot04 Apr 2011 5:58 a.m. PST

Good work.

number404 Apr 2011 10:38 a.m. PST

Dan, we played for the first time at a club meeting last week, link I was so impressed I bought the game myself! link to learn, simple to play at the basic level and you don't *have* to break the bank building 'armies'… even played against my wife a few times (and she does not wargame) who enjoyed it.

The only frustration is lack of available models at a reasonable price, with some scalpers on feebay charging $85 USD for a triplane or $100 USD for Goring's DVII That may be gold to some, but it is fool's gold.

ancientsgamer Supporting Member of TMP04 Apr 2011 12:08 p.m. PST

I have never had trouble finding airplanes. I suppose the older versions are going for a premium. Try Amazon, I seem to see plenty of stock with their vendors. I believe that some advertisers on TMP also sell them. Hopefully one will chime in.

Good to hear the game is useful. I am not a big card activation game fan but what I am reading here sounds interesting.

I bought my planes to play Canvas Eagles. Not happy with the WWII planes they came out with as the scale is smaller. I do want to try Mustangs and Messerschmidts some time in the future as well.

BlackWidowPilot Supporting Member of TMP Fezian05 Apr 2011 9:09 a.m. PST

"That is interesting. To be honest we did not have much success with Wings of War. Choosing the cards in advance meant that often only the first card was vaguely relevant and the ones after that were increasingly less so, with the planes just flying around in irrelevant directions for much of the play. When the enemy did come into your sights it was more by sheer luck than any judgement."

I find this interesting and can only chalk up your take on the game vice the rest of us on this thread as a matter of the cognitive differences amongst us human beings, how some process and problem solve vice others. I find that I have very little trouble making the three-card system work for yours truly quite well, and neither does my diabolical opponent TMPs own Virtual Scratchbuilder (who is evil and must be destroyed). If anything, I plan three moves ahead and try and position myself to if not hit the chucklehead in front of me at the moment, then perhaps get in position to do so to one of his mates.

If I'm flying two or three aircraft, I work them as a team to provide mutual cover, and DON'T let me get a two-seater in the mix, or worst of all, more than one two-seaters, as that whole mutual fire support schtick of mine gives yours truly all sorts of opportunities to try and catch some damn fool in a two- or three-way buzzsaw…evil grin

"I also found that the system is based purely on the type of plane and doesn't really seem to represent the quality of the pilot very well."

The pilot is supposed to be YOU IMHO. At least that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!evil grin

"For me the game felt absolutely random and whilst I can see it being popular with a non-wargaming audience I am surprise that it is so with wargamers who tend to look for more opportunites to make decisions other than just choosing a few cards and hoping."

Exactly my point: you have to look at your relative positions, and choose your moves with care, thinking ahead in a manner not unlike a successful chess player.

"It's a shame as I bought all of the planes, the rules and several expansions at one go, and now they never get used."

Well, you *could* give them to me if you're really all that disappointed, as I can promise you they'll get a good home…evil grin

Leland R. Erickson

BlackWidowPilot Supporting Member of TMP Fezian05 Apr 2011 9:13 a.m. PST

"I bought my planes to play Canvas Eagles. Not happy with the WWII planes they came out with as the scale is smaller. I do want to try Mustangs and Messerschmidts some time in the future as well."

M&M is a classic; if you've the floor space and the skill to build 1/72 scale plastic models, you'll be in your glory. If you are more geeky-minded, Reviresco's Fighter Pilot is the evolution from lessons learned with M&M, and is great for the detail-obsessed who can fathom a logarythmic (SP?) computer system of maneuver the game employs. Fighter pilot is certainly comprehensive, and IIRC runs from the Great War to Korea.

Leland R. Erickson

BlackWidowPilot Supporting Member of TMP Fezian05 Apr 2011 9:18 a.m. PST

About finding enough aircraft for WoW, the Abominable Virtual Scratchbuilder and I use quite a few 1/144 scale white metal aircraft mounted on clear plastic flight stands we set right on top of the aircraft cards.

Reviresco and Skytrex both make some extensive lines of aircraft from the Great War, including heavy bombers and even some neglected machines like the Hanriot HD-1, DH-2, Eindekker, and Siemens-Suckert D IV. Reviresco even makes the infamous Junkers J-1 armoured ground attack plane (good luck killing that flying "furniture wagon").

Litko makes some generic flight bases for WoW for our metal or plastic aircraft in 1/144 scale as well, clear acryllic with etched firing arcs and all.

Hope all this helps!evil grin

Leland R. Erickson

kduke42 Inactive Member20 May 2011 11:51 a.m. PST

I like WoW quite a bit. Yes, it's simple and things like the difference between a belt-fed MG and the Lewis are not captured.
But still… I can set up a demo at a con and within 6 minutes, folks are having a good time and laughing and running their planes pretty well.

And for some who are still looking for planes…

I have most of Series 2 and Series 4 for sale.
No, I don't have Fokkers, but I have the other planes, except for Bishop's Se5 (sold out of that).

Price is 8.70 for 1 seaters and 10.75 for 2 seaters. By more than a few and we can shave the price a little bit (but starting this low, not a whole lot.) Plus the actual cost of shipping-- I won't try to make a profit on postage.
Write me at
kduke42@sbcglobal.net

BlackWidowPilot Supporting Member of TMP Fezian22 May 2011 1:14 p.m. PST

Duke,

TMP's own evil Virtual Scratchbuilder and I use a simple system of tracking Lewis gun ammo with red glass beads like you find in the $1 USD Store. I put three of them on the aircraft control board, and remove one when I take a shot with the Lewis gun. Once they're gone, the Lewis drum is empty.

If the Lewis gun is also paired with a Vickers ala the SE 5a or Nieuport 17, it shoots an A deck. once the Lewis ammo is spent, it drops to a B deck until the plane flies a straight line for three consecutive moves uninterrupted. This simulates the joyful task of the pilot holding the stick steady with his knees while he pulls back on the Foster mount, draws the Lewis gun down within reach, removes the empty magazine and replaces it with a loaded one, then cranks the gun back into position.

If he's lucky, no-one bothers him during this process…evil grin

We only use this for wing mounted Lewis guns, assuming that observers such as found on the RE 8, Breguet 14, et al are handled by a dedicated gunner who has only to concentrate on shooting and feeding his guns.

Leland R. Erickson

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.