Help support TMP

"Highlighting/Drybrushing GW Tin Bitz paint" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

848 hits since 29 Mar 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Martin29 Mar 2011 9:11 a.m. PST

I have painted up some Warmachine Cryx Bane Knights with Tin bitz for the armor. I am now looking for a way to get a bit more depth out of it. It is quite dark so I don't think inking will work at all. I have thought about adding some copper or bronze to the paint and doing a dry brush (the armor has lots of ridges etc so it's very dry brushable) but thought I would see if others have experience working with it before I start playing around.

Here is what it looks like if you haven't seen it before (though it does seem darker on the mini):

link

svsavory29 Mar 2011 9:50 a.m. PST

I use silver to highlight Tin Bitz.

pphalen Inactive Member29 Mar 2011 9:55 a.m. PST

I've always used Mitrhil Silver as the brightest highlight over other metallics.

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP29 Mar 2011 9:56 a.m. PST

Ya, you could even mix in Mithril silver a bit to lighten it up.

I would be more concerned about mixing different ranges of metallics but GW's is finely ground in my experience.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP29 Mar 2011 10:18 a.m. PST

I always thought Tin Bitz was more suited for drybrushing with brass or bronze.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP29 Mar 2011 12:07 p.m. PST

I use tin bitz as the basecoate for metals that are supposed to look old or rusty for some reason. It works well to give brass and bronze more depth too. I highlight it with one of the darker "silver" metals, like bolt gun metal, then highlight it again with chain mail for a nice depth/rusty look.

Personal logo Ivan DBA Supporting Member of TMP29 Mar 2011 7:34 p.m. PST

I agree with the 0FM. It's actually a very dark brown metallic, so bronze or brass are the best highlights for it, in my experience. It probably is too dark for inking.

If you want a slightly lighter alternative, other companies make similar colors that aren't quite as dark. Vallejo Game Color #60 "Tinny Tin" is one. A really good one because it is several shades lighter than Tin Bitz, but without being a bronze, is "Lucifer Bronze" by i-Kore paints. It may be OOP now though.

Coat d'Arms has "Magic Metal," which is very similar to Tin Bitz, and is probably the original formula in fact, since Coat d'Arms is the company that did the original GW paints.

kreoseus230 Mar 2011 1:56 a.m. PST

bronze/ brass, then a very light highlight of gold.

Martin30 Mar 2011 6:10 a.m. PST

I went with the idea of a bronze dry brush. It has given it the look I want though I may try the very light gold highlight to see what I think. Thanks for all the help.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.