Help support TMP

"Terrain Tiles and 15mm and roads" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

941 hits since 5 Mar 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

infojunky05 Mar 2011 2:39 p.m. PST

Ok, this is a perennial project here at Casa MacDude, modular terrain for 15mm. I have tried a bunch of different ideas over the years, from 3 in hexes, Litko's "Space Corridors" to different size squares to DwarvenForge a large gridded board with grid over magnetic sheet.

For underground/inside I have settled on the latter, a Ikea table top with a magnetically attractive sheet. with the walls based on magnets. While I lose some of the visual goodness on the floors. it makes it up in the gross flexibility, and I can make textured floor tiles when that madness strikes me.

The real new question is, are 6 inch squares too small and fiddly for outdoors/cityscapes?

is it reasonably to do road sections in such a size?

28mmMan Inactive Member05 Mar 2011 3:17 p.m. PST

6" does sound a bit small…perhaps 12"?

Personal logo Grumpy Monkey Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2011 3:33 p.m. PST

12" for sure

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2011 3:40 p.m. PST

I got the 6" ones, but haven't even started on the project yet:

TMP link

But check out what Mongo did:

link

Dan

28mmMan Inactive Member05 Mar 2011 4:29 p.m. PST

The 6"x6" does look nice picture

I guess it would weigh heavy on your storage issues.

I still like the 12", certainly 6" would work.

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2011 4:38 p.m. PST

Infojunky,

28mmMan is right (about this issue). I ordered a bunch of 6x6" boards (48 of them), but the bins I have can accommodate 9x12" boards easily.

So then I ordered a dozen of the 9x12" tiles, and wish that had been the size of my boards all along. Tiles done as 9x6 would have been even better, but they don't cut them that size:

link

Those are the very same hardboard tiles that our PaintBeast recommended on that other thread:

TMP link

Dan

28mmMan Inactive Member05 Mar 2011 5:00 p.m. PST

What sort of boards did you use Dan?

In the case of having 9" x 12" bins then I would not go 9/12, that is such an odd size…you lose options to turn the terrain and change it up as the odd side would create an uneven edge…which would bug me to no end as well as provide dead use terrain.

9/12 bin then use the 6" x 6" tiles then 2 fit per bin with a little room for a miniatures metal strip if you are using magnets? Or room for other bits that fit in the extra 3" x 12".

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP05 Mar 2011 5:06 p.m. PST

LOL.

Or I can throw out all the 9x12 bins I have and get some brand new ones!

Dan

Battle Miniatures Emporium Inactive Member05 Mar 2011 7:48 p.m. PST

I was looking at the hard board too, but it is not cut into 12x12, not that I have found.
I am thinking that floor tiles may be the way to go…This is the issue that has held up my Dead Road project.

CoreyBurger Inactive Member05 Mar 2011 10:41 p.m. PST

You might want to try something lighter like choroplast (corrugated plastic). It is plenty rigid and a fraction of the weight.

infojunky05 Mar 2011 11:03 p.m. PST

Well I have been looking a available peel-n-stick vinyl floor tiles and 6x6, 12x12 and 18x18 inch tiles.

And I tend to be a small kinda guy. As smaller units are often easier to work on in my workspace than larger.

That being said a ground cloth and individual set out pieces sound good too.

I am just shopping for opinions and reasons….

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.