Help support TMP

"Painting the iDaleks from Dr Who Adventures magazine" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

Back to the Collectible Miniatures Games Message Board

Back to the SFRPG Message Board

Back to the SF Painting Guides Message Board

732 hits since 9 Feb 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

trynda170109 Feb 2011 10:39 a.m. PST

I would just like to ask some advice on the painting of these toys. I usually paint my miniatures (25mm D&D characters or starships) by first undercoating in grey with automotive spray primer, and then using Humbrol and Citadel acrylics.

I would just like to hear if anyone has had any problems with painting them in a similar manner. Because these are nominally 'toys' (even though we all rushed out to buy multiple copies of the magazine!) I hope that no one has found the hard way that the plastic used doesn't undercoat very well with this method.

Can anyone advise please?

Paul Hurst Inactive Member09 Feb 2011 11:18 a.m. PST

When I got my 85 Daleks (5 mag copies!), I undercoated them with the cheap grey car primer from my local "pound" shop – the paint has covered well, and no signs of flaking or reaction. I've used this spray paint on everything – metal figures/vehicles, resin vehicles, soft/hard plastic figures/vehicles. I like the results.

My kids then gave them a spray of the final body colour from my collection of GW spray cans. I then painted the details, dipped them, and finally applied varnish to protect them.

Whilst not pro-painted, my kids say they look very good.

Battlegroup South Inactive Member09 Feb 2011 12:10 p.m. PST

Any pics?

trynda170109 Feb 2011 12:59 p.m. PST

Just what I was about to say! lol

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.