Help support TMP

"So few POW posts ..." Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

Back to the Principles of War Message Board

Areas of Interest

Renaissance
18th Century
Napoleonic
19th Century

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Ruleset

Featured Showcase Article

GallopingJack Checks Out The Terrain Mat

Mal Wright Fezian goes to sea with the Terrain Mat.

2,576 hits since 7 Feb 2011
©1994-2020 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Royal Marine07 Feb 2011 4:24 p.m. PST

I'm rebasing all my POW armies.

Napoleonics for Lasalle and Black Powder.

FPW etc for Volley and Bayonet, Baccus and also Zouave Repique.

Sysiphus07 Feb 2011 6:02 p.m. PST

Well, if you played POW then you will feel a certain comfort in the Lasalle turn sequence, nes pas!

Sparker07 Feb 2011 7:17 p.m. PST

Hi Royal,

You wil enjoy giving out the BP brigade orders 'in a loud confindent manner attempting to capture the feel of the period' (paraphrasing wildly!)

Wish I was there to see you in action!

Kind Regards,

Sparker

Royal Marine09 Feb 2011 4:48 a.m. PST

But you can see me, or at least the endeavours of my lead soldiers …

link

Murvihill09 Feb 2011 11:07 a.m. PST

A POW army? Must be Dupont's corps…

Paul S09 Feb 2011 11:47 a.m. PST

Royal at least they work!!!

Royal Marine09 Feb 2011 5:02 p.m. PST

… who said that last comment?

Jeremy Sutcliffe10 Feb 2011 8:00 a.m. PST

Somewhere on my "must do" list is rebasing my Italian wars POW. I was fascinated by the idea of Tercios on 90x90 and Pike and Shot on 90x30 bases as a single units but it has been so limiting in terms of flexibility to dabble with other rules.

I have already re-based my Dervishes from 90mm to 3 x 30mm

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP18 Jan 2012 3:36 p.m. PST

What is Principles of War?

Grizzlymc18 Jan 2012 6:12 p.m. PST

are Fritz – Granma sez.

Royal Marine24 Jan 2012 2:38 p.m. PST

The ten principles of war as listed and defined in the 2008 edition of British Defence Doctrine are:

Selection and Maintenance of the Aim – A single, unambiguous aim is the keystone of successful military operations. Selection and maintenance of the aim is regarded as the master principle of war.

Maintenance of Morale – is a positive state of mind derived from inspired political and military leadership, a shared sense of purpose and values, well-being, perceptions of worth and group cohesion.

Offensive Action – is the practical way in which a commander seeks to gain advantage, sustain momentum and seize the initiative.

Security – is the provision and maintenance of an operating environment that affords the necessary freedom of action, when and where required, to achieve objectives.

Surprise – is the consequence of shock and confusion induced by the deliberate or incidental introduction of the unexpected.

Concentration of Force – involves the decisive, synchronized application of superior fighting power (conceptual, physical, and moral) to realize intended effects, when and where required.

Economy of Effort – is the judicious exploitation of manpower, materiel and time in relation to the achievement of objectives.

Flexibility – the ability to change readily to meet new circumstances comprises agility, responsiveness, resilience, acuity and adaptability.

Cooperation – entails the incorporation of teamwork and a sharing of dangers, burdens, risks and opportunities in every aspect of warfare.

Sustainability – To sustain a force is to generate the means by which its fighting power and freedom of action are maintained.

Jemima Fawr24 Jan 2012 2:58 p.m. PST

I always thought that the Royals shortened this to "To smite your enemy. See them run before you. And hear the lamentation of their women."

Royal Marine25 Jan 2012 4:57 a.m. PST

yeah … that's no 11 in the list; we have to at least pretend to observe the 1st 10.

Sorry - only verified members can post on the forums.