Help support TMP

"25mm Old Glory AWI Minute Men and a bit more" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Horror Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Scenarios Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

998 hits since 5 Jan 2011
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2011 3:39 p.m. PST

link

I've sketched out some ideas for Sleepy Hollow themed games in the captions on this post. What do you think of this project? It directly affected how I painted and based these.

I have no intention of doing AWI in 25's and these were bought with this Sleepy Hollow project in mind specifically.

Questions and comments are encouraged and followers are welcome!

Personal logo doc mcb Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2011 4:00 p.m. PST

I am generally a supporter of OG, and I own a LOT of their AWI, including the Minutemen bags. But those figures really are pretty bad, aren't they? Too big head, too long musket, etc. The paint job is far better than the sculpts deserve.

Personal logo doc mcb Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2011 4:02 p.m. PST

But I agree (with the comment on your blog) that others of the figs in those bags are quite nice.

The Gray Ghost05 Jan 2011 4:17 p.m. PST

as much as I always need armed 18th C civilians I have always avoided those OG ones.
I do really like the colors You used for them though.

Personal logo combatpainter Supporting Member of TMP Fezian05 Jan 2011 5:11 p.m. PST

I am generally a supporter of OG, and I own a LOT of their AWI, including the Minutemen bags. But those figures really are pretty bad, aren't they? Too big head, too long musket, etc. The paint job is far better than the sculpts deserve.

That is exactly what I like about them. They look great to me.

Flashman, you have a fan in me, man! I love your stuff. Nice easy muted tones with some discreet layering.

Dan Beattie Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2011 5:24 p.m. PST

Nice painting.

Sleepy Hollow is in Tarrytown, New York, on the Hudson River, not in New England.

Personal logo Flashman14 Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2011 6:34 p.m. PST

I like the poses and all that but the rifles are a mess, split barrels, no reinforcement bands on some, others with a simple mess of hardware. Those were by far the worst bits to paint.

Correct Dan, I guess only the Headless Horseman scenarios need to be set there. I use the settings interchangeably, thinking Salem too.

Personal logo combatpainter Supporting Member of TMP Fezian05 Jan 2011 6:45 p.m. PST

I like the poses and all that but the rifles are a mess, split barrels, no reinforcement bands on some, others with a simple mess of hardware. Those were by far the worst bits to paint.

I don't believe it! OG with malformed rifles??? evil grin

abdul666lw06 Jan 2011 6:28 a.m. PST

Excellent job, making the most of the castings and appropriately detailed down to decoration of the bases!
Then, remember they are militiamen, who probably had to provide their own weapons -from different sources: a little 'diversity' (even if 'uncontrolled' the source) improves the overall visual effect, rather tha detracting it as it would with 'regulars'.

A "Sleepy Hollow themed games" (a 'narrative campaign', maybe?): for me I find the project terribly exciting!
Great minds think alike, they say:
TMP link
TMP link

Now, while the blog is devoted to "your painted miniatures", I hope we'll be allowed to enjoy an illustrated 'journal' / periodical report of your "New England Horror" campaign! thumbs up

Best wishes

abdul666lw07 Jan 2011 1:36 a.m. PST

New England (Rhode Island) was a favorite setting of Lovecraft' en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft s novellas.
'The Lurking Fear' link is specially propitious to a mini-campaign: Copplestone yetis picture would make perfect Martense (don't forget the heterochromia!). Crocodile Games ghouls link look specially 'Lovecraftian' (Pickman's Model) Regarding other potential encounters, Westwind and BlueMoon link are rich sources; the Crocodile Games 'Wendigos' link (as 'Bigfeet'?) are debatable (weapon-bearing, thus looking somewhat like GW Beastmen) but their 'abominable snowbeast' and 'howlers' look great. Scarecrow armies… yes, Westwind link has some and Foundry just issued a whole 'horde' of them… for us Continental Europeans the idea sounds… odd, this seems to be peculiar to North American folklore?
Zombies? link link Great minds think alike, they say…

Altius Inactive Member07 Jan 2011 7:04 a.m. PST

New England (Rhode Island) was a favorite setting of Lovecraft

I grew up in New England, and I've always found it amazing how much scary literature is set there. It does have some spooky places around, but I assume it's because of the age of some buildings. In my home town we had a couple of buildings that were built in the 17th century. To Europeans or Asians, that's nothing, but to North Americans, that's positively ancient.

abdul666lw12 Jan 2011 2:30 p.m. PST

Animated Scarecrows: a 'Sci-Fi' amateur (feeble) attempt of 'semi-rationalization' TMP link

skyking20 Inactive Member13 Jan 2011 9:24 a.m. PST

Sometimes I think the larger scale minis should be rated somehow. There are those that are very nice military minis and others – while well done – are more like caricatures (is that spelled correctly?). For example, I use Conquest and Perry for my FIW. The Galloping Majors are also nice but much larger and more like a caricature.

sky

DAWGIE Inactive Member22 Jan 2011 10:57 p.m. PST

THESE GUYS ARE DEFFINATELY NOT PERRY OR EUREKA QUALITY, BUT, I THINK THAT THEY HAVE A CHARM ALL OF THEIR OWN.

AND THE PAINT JOBS ARE EXCELLENT!

DAWGIE

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.