Help support TMP

"Where In The World . . . ? (just for fun)" Topic

37 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Maps Message Board

Back to the SF Scenarios Message Board

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

16,178 hits since 30 Dec 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2010 11:39 p.m. PST

Tonight I caught the tail end of one of those new History Channel "Ancient Aliens" shows (title "Alien Messengers"). Well, what's funny is that there's supposed to be a fella out there (Jim/James Penniston) who had a 6 pages worth of binary code imprinted onto his memory by a UFO.

According to the show, when he had the long series of 0s and 1s translated by an expert, this is what it is claimed to say:

EXPLORATION [of] HUMANITY
52 09' 42.532" N
13 13' 12.69" W
CONTI[NUOUS]
FOR PLANETARY ADVAN[CE]

So, for you map-wizards among us, what place* are those "coordinates" really pointing to?

Is it a game-worthy location, with lots and lots of gaming scenario potential?

Thanks,

Dan
* The show claims the place is some legendary island off the west coast of Ireland

Personal logo CeruLucifus Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2010 11:48 p.m. PST

I found a GPS mapper in Google and pasted those coordinates in. According to that, the location is in western Africa, inland from a city called Conakry which is in Guinea north of the border with Sierra Leone.

boulter.com GPS mapper, showing 52 09' 42.532", N 13 13' 12.69" W: link

(If the map shows a featureless gray area, you're zoomed in to a level it doesn't have detail for. Click the minus button a few times to zoom out.)

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2010 11:53 p.m. PST

Don,

So, what do you think is going on there in West Africa that could be of so much interest to our galactic neighbors?

Dan

apathostic30 Dec 2010 11:59 p.m. PST

Well, I know there's a pretty decent rave going on in Burkina Faso . . .

Captain Swing Inactive Member31 Dec 2010 1:49 a.m. PST

Nowhere near West Africa – a location off the west coast of Ireland is the correct point for those latitude and longitude coordinates.
Approximately 120 miles off the west coast off the Dingle Peninsula.

NoLongerAMember Inactive Member31 Dec 2010 1:57 a.m. PST

Its close to the Dingles, it probably got knicked and fenced in the Woolpack then…

apathostic31 Dec 2010 2:14 a.m. PST

Soooo . . . the Druids were right then . . .

Personal logo Swampster Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 6:04 a.m. PST

"I found a GPS mapper in Google and pasted those coordinates in. According to that, the location is in western Africa, inland from a city called Conakry which is in Guinea north of the border with Sierra Leone."

You have to put the co-ord in with a different format.
Try N 52 9 42 W 13 13 12.69

Personal logo RavenscraftCybernetics Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 6:13 a.m. PST

Bongolesia?

Greylegion Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 6:17 a.m. PST

According to the show, the coordinates fall on a sunken island off of the coast of the UK, if I remember right. I was watching it too.

Bran Flayk31 Dec 2010 6:22 a.m. PST

How did such a small message take up 6 pages of binary code? Perhaps the secret location has something to help them do it more efficiently?

Sloppypainter31 Dec 2010 6:42 a.m. PST

Just looking at the Google maps there's an Island (Inishmore) off the west coast of Ireland that looks to be rural farmland. Perhaps a good location for Pulp-type adventures? A mysterious alien-worshiping cult? Neo-druidic society ruled by a "starman?" Something fun about an isolated island community tied to "the old ways" brought to them by ancient visitors.

Shedman Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 7:07 a.m. PST

Craggy Island!

I bet those sneaky aliens are after The Holy Stone of Clonrichert

link

Fonthill Hoser31 Dec 2010 7:20 a.m. PST

Don't go in the Tunnel Of Goats. You'll get stuck.

Personal logo Waco Joe Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member31 Dec 2010 8:36 a.m. PST

Very thoughtful for them to use English. I hate it when the aliens use Chinese.

jpattern2 Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 8:36 a.m. PST

I caught about 30 seconds of that show while channel-surfing. Stupid!

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 8:47 a.m. PST

"Stupid!"

My thought exactly!

Though I think there might be good gaming scenario material in there somewhere. Too weird not to use in a game.

Dan

Personal logo Cacique Caribe Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 8:50 a.m. PST

Waco Joe: "Very thoughtful for them to use English. I hate it when the aliens use Chinese."

Didn't Star Trek prove that all aliens speak English?

Dan

The Tin Dictator31 Dec 2010 9:10 a.m. PST

Not only do they speak English, but they also use the same long/lat coordinate system we do. And for symplicity I suppose they picked the exact same starting points.
Amazing !
Clever little Bleeped texts!

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 11:36 a.m. PST

Keep Watching The Sky's !!!!!

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 11:47 a.m. PST

Not only do they speak English, but they also use the same long/lat coordinate system we do. And for symplicity I suppose they picked the exact same starting points.
Amazing !
Clever little Bleeped texts!

To be fair now, we have been blanketing the skies with all this stuff since the 1920s, in one form or another, and most predominantly in the early decades in either English or German. Maybe they just picked up a lot of educational TV. Everybody knows that out in the boonies of the world, that's almost always all you can pull in.
wink

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 11:49 a.m. PST

Keep Watching The Sky's !!!!!

Keep watching the sky's what?

blackscribe Inactive Member31 Dec 2010 11:51 a.m. PST

According to the show, it's supposed to be the location of the sunken island known as Hy Brasil:

link

Bran Flayk, easily. OTOH, it is awesome that they seem to speak English, use a code that makes sense to us, *and* our coordinate system.

Top Gun Ace Inactive Member31 Dec 2010 12:05 p.m. PST

"Keep Watching The Sky's !!!!!"

Perhaps you should be watching for USO's instead, e.g. Unidentified Submerged Objects. Reports are they can cruise at 200 knots, or more.

I imagine this is the location for one of their secret underwater bases.

Personal logo StarfuryXL5 Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 3:11 p.m. PST

Very thoughtful for them to use English. I hate it when the aliens use Chinese.

And they conveniently picked a common binary format. Who did the translation, an ASCII expert or an EBCDIC expert or a Unicode expert?

Top Gun Ace Inactive Member31 Dec 2010 4:29 p.m. PST

Perhaps we are speaking alien…..

Personal logo CeruLucifus Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2010 5:18 p.m. PST

Swampster, thanks for explaining how to format the coordinates. D-oh!

Cacique Caribe, on Star Trek, they had a universal translator that rendered alien speech in English.

Former Member Account Inactive Member31 Dec 2010 7:28 p.m. PST

DAMN IT! Now I have to move my secret lair again.

Battle Phlox31 Dec 2010 9:27 p.m. PST

In the Star Gate universe every single alien world they go to English is spoken. Oddley enough, most planets also seem to have the same climate as western Washington.

Rogue Zoat Inactive Member01 Jan 2011 10:26 a.m. PST

"Craggy Island!

I bet those sneaky aliens are after The Holy Stone of Clonrichert"

- Shedman

Or maybe it wasn't a storm in which Craggy Island lost it's West side…?

I'm a bit disapointed that the lats and longs didnae point to somewhere in the Pacific. interestingly the supposed "Bloop" seemed quite close to a particular sunken city where a big old guy sleeps.

And never mind speaking in English and using our grid reference systems, isn't it amazing that aliens also use binary?

Norman D Landings01 Jan 2011 5:26 p.m. PST

Don, the Star Trek translator's ability to render alien speech into English was nothing special.

However…

…it's ability to make the alien's LIP MOVEMENTS conform to the English translation was nothing short of amazing!

Anyway, this sunken island. I've been… it's rubbish.

Bunch of dinosaur skeletons… with their heads chopped off.

Bunch of gill-man skeletons… with their heads chopped off.

Bunch of treasure chests… empty.

Just a submarine-shaped hole in the wall and some grafitti saying: "Doug McClure was here."

alien BLOODY HELL surfer02 Jan 2011 6:43 a.m. PST

isn't it amazing that aliens also use binary?

not really, if you think about it, it's just a state of yes/no, exist/don't exist – I'd think it likely most species out there would be able to fathom it out so it would be pretty useful as a base level communicator.

Rogue Zoat Inactive Member04 Jan 2011 10:49 a.m. PST

Well that's true, but I was more meaning using numbers 1 and 0. But then I suppose they could be human attributes we are… ahh… attributing to … it…

flicking wargamer11 Jan 2011 8:12 a.m. PST

Think how shocked the aliens are that we speak their language and understand their forms of communication, as primitive as we are to them!

rsowles Inactive Member20 Mar 2011 9:40 p.m. PST

Hey all, I am new here =D Nice site you got. But I have seen this show and I pluged in the Numbers to google sky.. and got something pretty cool to look at… if you go to google sky, put the numbers in. your gonna see a "star" Kinda odd that those numbers also Look at a star in space isnt it? =D

Troll Hammer Inactive Member21 Mar 2011 1:19 p.m. PST

"TRUST NO ONE"

Last Hussar04 Apr 2011 12:50 p.m. PST

Two Words

Galaxy Quest…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.