Help support TMP

"Shipping figures to Historicon hotel" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Storage and Transport Message Board

Action Log

06 Nov 2010 12:40 p.m. PST
by Editor in Chief Bill

• Changed title from "Shipping figure to Historicon hotel" to "Shipping figures to Historicon hotel"

553 hits since 5 Nov 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Oldenbarnevelt Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member06 Nov 2010 12:33 p.m. PST

I want to ship my two Renaissance 28mm armies from Seattle to Historicon. What is the safest way to ship these?

MajorB06 Nov 2010 1:00 p.m. PST

Well IMHO the safest way would be in the back of a car you are driving, but I somehow don't think that is the answer you are looking for!

2 28mm armies are going to need a fair sized container (with plenty of packing material as well as the figures) and if the figures are metal it's going to weigh a fair bit too. Size and weight will both add to the cost.

Do FedEx or similar carrier provide some sort of guaranteed tracked delivery service? Don't know whether you could engage a secure delivery service such as companies use to ship sensitive data media around the country? Be prepared to pay a premium for secure delivery though …

Personal logo doc mcb Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2010 1:29 p.m. PST

The safest surely will not be cheap. You could pay as much as the lead was worth, pre-painting.

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Nov 2010 1:34 p.m. PST

A lot will depend on how they are based. But pack them in foam or whatever. Put those in a box. then put that box inside another box with 2" of peanuts all around – top, bottom and sides. Ship insured with UPS.

cherrypicker Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2010 2:43 p.m. PST

I used a Figures in Comfort Case (super) to send a couple of my armies from the UK to Australia and not 1 figure broke.

Jules

Personal logo combatpainter Supporting Member of TMP Fezian06 Nov 2010 3:40 p.m. PST

Good luck! I will pray for you.

Top Gun Ace Inactive Member06 Nov 2010 6:51 p.m. PST

No delivery service is 100% safe.

They usually run around 95% – 99%.

I'd carry them on board in a secure container.

Of course, getting them through airport security will be a joy too…..

raylev3 Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2010 4:08 a.m. PST

I once shipped a WAB Celtic army with infantry, cavalry, and chariots via the US military postal system from Germany to England.

I used Rice Krispies as the packing material! I poured some into the bottom of the box, placed a layer of figures, and poured more Rice Krispies…some of the figures were in the "standing" positions, others on their backs. The good thing about the Rice Krispies is they were cheap, and flowed around the figures very well.

In any case, not a single figure was damaged, and for the short time they were in the box I didn't worry about insects, mold, or anything else.

Personal logo Bobgnar Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2010 8:53 a.m. PST

Many large figure collections are sold over ebay and shipped all over the world. I once received a DBM late French medieval army from New Zealand with no problem. 15mm but based with lots of lances. Are the figures on multi-figure bases or single. If the latter, then much easier, as you just wrap each one in tissue and pack with more soft material very tightly in a box. I do not like loose figures in cereal as they tend to agitate to the bottom of the box. If using puffed rice, less brittle than Krispies, wrap the figs in tissue first.

Besides shipping you need to consider what will happen when the figures arrive. What arrangements will the hotel have for accepting and storing the goods until you arrive? Also, how will you ship them back -- or will you sell them there?

Perhaps you have a friend near the con, to whom you could ship and who could bring them, and also send them back.

Oldenbarnevelt Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member07 Nov 2010 6:53 p.m. PST

My infantry figures are based two figures to a stand. The pikemen have pikes at a 45 degree angle and vertical. The cavalry are on single stands with lances vertical.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.