Help support TMP

"Books on Shiloh" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Media Message Board

612 hits since 1 Nov 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 13 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

Gunfreak Supporting Member of TMP01 Nov 2010 10:08 a.m. PST

Preferaly the definitive source on the battle, if that dosn't exist the second best would be nice.

avidgamer01 Nov 2010 12:37 p.m. PST

Shiloh, Bloody April is a _great_ book.

Steve01 Nov 2010 1:13 p.m. PST

I second that one. -Steve

Personal logo gamertom Supporting Member of TMP01 Nov 2010 5:29 p.m. PST

"Shiloh and the Western Campaign of 1862" by O. Edward Cunningham is closest to a definitive study though I agree that "Shiloh – Bloody April" is a good read.

Personal logo vtsaogames Supporting Member of TMP01 Nov 2010 8:42 p.m. PST

Just got an old copy of "Shiloh, Bloody April". It's fine.

Personal logo enfant perdus Supporting Member of TMP01 Nov 2010 10:34 p.m. PST

I second the Cunningham book. It's superb.

Personal logo zippyfusenet Supporting Member of TMP02 Nov 2010 7:24 a.m. PST

Shiloh was an unusually confusing battle, even for an ACW battle. Fought in a swamp by two armies of amateurs, one completely surprised and the other more or less leaderless. The books noted are good, but there will never be a definitive final word on Shiloh.

Do not miss reading the veterans' accounts in Battles and Leaders of the Civil War. No ACW enthusiast should be without B&L, because so many of the classic controversies start in that series.

A Twiningham02 Nov 2010 7:47 a.m. PST

An archive.org search on Shiloh will turn up a couple of interesting free reads also.

HangarFlying Inactive Member25 Sep 2011 4:37 p.m. PST

Sorry for the thread necromancy. I really enjoyed "Shiloh: The Battle That Changed the Civil War" by Larry J. Daniel.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.