Help support TMP

"TYW - Thinking about building a French Army for FOG-R" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

1,118 hits since 12 Oct 2010
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

DontFearDareaper Fezian12 Oct 2010 12:19 p.m. PST

Our wargaming group pretty much dropped all other ancients rules when FoG came out (yes, yes, not everyone's cup of tea but we like it). Now that FoG-R has come out, it turns out several guys in my club have 15mm armies for the TYW. I am thinking about building a French army but I am having a lot of trouble finding information on the French. I found a couple of flags on Warflag but thats about it so far. Can someone point me to some resources to help me build a French TYW army? It doesn't have to be a free source (although I won't object to one evil grin ), I don't mind buying a good book if one is available.

Dave

idontbelieveit12 Oct 2010 1:05 p.m. PST

OMM has this:

1-89150 Thion, Strephen FRENCH ARMIES OF THE THIRTY YEARS WAR 8.5x11, packed with period illust, uniforms andflags all in color.1 vol, 172 pgs 2010 FRANCE, LRT EDITIONES
NEW-softcover ……$60.00

DontFearDareaper Fezian12 Oct 2010 1:44 p.m. PST

Wow .. I actually looked at the OMM site and completely missed that. Time to go back and order that book!!!

Dave

DontFearDareaper Fezian12 Oct 2010 1:54 p.m. PST

Ok, problem solved. I bought this book looks like it has plenty of info to help me get a French TYW army together.

Thanks!!

Dave

Personal logo BobTYW Supporting Member of TMP12 Oct 2010 2:14 p.m. PST

Donnington and TEstudo carry good ranges of TYW figures in 15 to 18mm. Bob

idontbelieveit12 Oct 2010 3:51 p.m. PST

I bought the French version when I was in Paris for something. It's nice. I might have held off had I known they would publish a version in English. It's got a lot of nice pictures in it. Makes me wish someone did a really good range in 25mm.

huevans Inactive Member12 Oct 2010 7:09 p.m. PST

I bought the French version when I was in Paris for something. It's nice. I might have held off had I known they would publish a version in English. It's got a lot of nice pictures in it. Makes me wish someone did a really good range in 25mm.

TAG?

Personal logo Sir William Supporting Member of TMP12 Oct 2010 8:37 p.m. PST

Stéphane's book is indeed excellent. Just the artistic references are worth the price and Stéphane is a meticulous researcher as well.

I would also highly recommend two on-line sources, both by American Curt Johnson and originally written for the old Early Modern Warfare Group (publisher's of the demised "Gorget & Sash" magazine). You can find Curt's articles on the French on the Xenophon Group's site here:

link

link

You can also find George Gush's text on the French on the My Armoury site, although about 2/3rds of George's text tended to focus on the Italian Wars and the Wars of Religion.

link

Finally, I would also highly recommend Dr. Pierre Picouet's site "Los Tercios y el Ejército Español 1525 – 1704". There is an English text section and in addition to the Spanish tercio, Dr. Picouet also covers their opponents, including an excellent section on the French including organization, strengths, tactics, etc., and a separate section on battles that includes 5 major battles of the TYW from Fleurus in 1622 to Rocroi in 1643. These battle write-ups include detailed maps, OoB's where available, and excellent battle summaries. You can find Dr. Picouet's site here:

link

Bill
Sir William the Aged
warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com

idontbelieveit13 Oct 2010 6:10 a.m. PST

"'I bought the French version when I was in Paris for something. It's nice. I might have held off had I known they would publish a version in English. It's got a lot of nice pictures in it. Makes me wish someone did a really good range in 25mm.'

TAG?"

TAG makes some beautiful stuff. None of it looks much like the French TYW guys in the book.

huevans Inactive Member13 Oct 2010 11:30 a.m. PST

If not TAG (which is more 1618-1635 period), then I assume Perry would deliver the goods with their ECW range. French TYW involvement was mid 1630's to late 1640's.

idontbelieveit13 Oct 2010 2:50 p.m. PST

ECW figs look even less like them than the TAG TYW guys.

But again the Perry ECW figs are beautiful.

Personal logo ArchiducCharles Supporting Member of TMP13 Oct 2010 9:02 p.m. PST

I believe Foundry has some French in their very limited TYW range…

link

Iannick
clashofempires.ca

Personal logo Sir William Supporting Member of TMP14 Oct 2010 4:05 a.m. PST

DontFearDareaper;

Well, you've gotten several good sources for 28mm figures, which you didn't ask about. Since you asked specifically about 15/18mm, and I am also doing French, here are a few:

Donnington, several figures specifically referenced as French and designed appropriately.

Old Glory 15's, their new Renaissance range has a few packs specifically as French, very nice figures with an assortment of poses in each bag, most have musket rests which will need to be removed as the French did away with these early.

Testudo, probably the best sculpting available, but very large "18's"

Essex, a few figures specifically listed as French, will be smaller than all Testudo and some Donnington, but mix well with Old Glory.

Minifigs, somewhat dated, but do have specific French figures available and are nice sculpts, will mix with Essex and Donnington and Old Glory.

Museum, Donnington, Freikorps, Matchlock, Minifigs, Essex and Irregular all have fairly extensive ECW or TYW ranges, some of which will work mixed in with your French. All but the Freikorps can be easily mixed in the same units (not uniformed by the way), and the Freikorps (slightly smaller) still look fine in their own units.

Although these figures are for the later Franco-Dutch Wars, this comparison shot contains a few of the makes I mentioned and are against a 4mm square background for comparison.

picture

And here are some ECW Scots that show the compatibility of four of the ranges, again against the 4mm square background. They are, left to right by two's, Museum, Freikorps, Old Glory and Essex.

picture

Bill
Sir William the Aged

Personal logo Sir William Supporting Member of TMP14 Oct 2010 5:41 a.m. PST

And here are some shots from the German regiment Kolhaas in French service from my own 15mm army that combines Museum, Old Glory and Donnington. The uniform blue jackets and the flags are pure "artistic license", although the flags are typical of those in use by the Bavarians in French service and those in Bernard of Saxe-Weimar's corps that came over to the French. The front rank are, l-r, Old Glory, Old Glory, Museum, Old Glory, Museum and Old Glory. The rear rank are, l-r, Museum, Old Glory, Old Glory, Donnington, Old Glory and Museum.

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

Bill
Sir William the Aged

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.