Help support TMP

"Kelly's Heroes: Watch the Film, play the game" Topic

29 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

1,441 hits since 17 Dec 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Chezza Inactive Member17 Dec 2009 11:58 p.m. PST

Play Kelly, Big Joe, Oddball and Crapgame at squad level

Here is a free campaign that allows you to play Kelly's Heroes using NUTS! 2nd Edition Rules.

There are stats for each ally character (Kelly, Big Joe, Oddball, Crapgame, Little Joe, Cowboy, Job, etc.) and vehicles (Oddball's Shermans, jeeps, Halftracks), Oddball's army and of course data on the germans.

The campaign scenarios are for Mortared Town, Hilltop, Minefield, Railroad, Big Bridge, and Clermont. There are layouts (maps) for all but Mortared Town.

If you like the movie Kelly's Heroes, you'll enjoy the additional data on figures, script, and the town used for Clermont.

link

"All the burning bridges that have fallen after me…
All the lonely feelings and the burning memories…
Everyone I left behind each time I closed the door…
Burning bridges lost forevermore"

- John Paul

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 2:43 a.m. PST

Excellent.

I hope there are special rules to ensure that the BARs jam every single time….

Always the negative waves.

kreoseus218 Dec 2009 3:12 a.m. PST

there you go with the negative waves ! Why cant you say something beautiful and righteous for once ?

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 4:06 a.m. PST

"nobody said nothing about going toe to toe with no tigers"

Personal logo 7th Va Cavalry Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 4:51 a.m. PST

"You should be sitting around eating cheese and drinking wine Hawkwood"

kreoseus218 Dec 2009 5:00 a.m. PST

and catching some rays

galvinm Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 5:02 a.m. PST

WOOF WOOF, that's my other dog impression.

Major Mike18 Dec 2009 5:45 a.m. PST

Sort of makes you home sick

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 5:49 a.m. PST

I'm sure there is a game in here somewhere.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 6:55 a.m. PST

"Is that Clermont, Booker? Then why the hell didn't you say so!"

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 8:13 a.m. PST

Now I've got to play my DVD of the movie tonight. Thank you for the reminder.

Highland Guerilla18 Dec 2009 8:19 a.m. PST

"Where is Donald Duck?"

Highland Guerilla18 Dec 2009 8:20 a.m. PST

Bwahahaha,in the dirty dozen.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 8:25 a.m. PST

Love the movie.
Hate the song.

Personal logo Vosper Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 8:38 a.m. PST

"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers. "

Thanks for posting!

Top Gun Ace Inactive Member18 Dec 2009 10:51 a.m. PST

Are there rules for painting the German tanks with A/T shells, in order to intimidate them, and morale boosts for the Americans due to the pretty colors they make?

I did take a look at it last night, and it looks quite comprehensive.

Any chance for a single point download?

ming3118 Dec 2009 11:01 a.m. PST

Sounds like a deal! " you know a DEAL , deal…maybe he's a Republician. "

stumer18 Dec 2009 1:00 p.m. PST

Thanks for your efforts in making up a very comprehensive scenario based on this favorite film, but now I have to go for your NUTS! (Since I don't own the game yet.)

While perusing the rules, I noticed in the Minefield section that a mine only goes off on the first doubles rolled (and if none are then play moves onto the next scenario.) However, if there's only ever one mine going off I think it lets some of the tension out of crossing the field. I would humbly suggest that the 4" movement will apply until a mine is set off, then a 2" troop movement should be used with any further double activating another mine. After the first mine is set off, then a 1D6 should be rolled to see how many activations should apply before the Germans arrive to investigate. This might help the Germans arrive before an ambush can be fully set up and help balance things out.

I love the film, and appreciate your fine work in this Paul, but I also see the need to put some more random action into the campaign to shake things up from the original script and make it more fun.

'Drew
studiobergstrom.com

Eclectic Wave18 Dec 2009 1:06 p.m. PST

You have to remember to play Hank Williams Jr songs while playing the game.

John the OFM – Did you know that "Burning Bridges" made it to 34 on top 100 Billboard for the year that the movie relased? Go Figure.

Legion 418 Dec 2009 3:00 p.m. PST

Love the movie !!! thumbs up

Personal logo Cardinal Hawkwood Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 4:39 p.m. PST

"I drive em, don't know how they work" or something like that and what other great movie of the time did Troy Kennedy Martin write?
Woof woof..

Chezza Inactive Member18 Dec 2009 7:16 p.m. PST

For Top Gun Ace,
"Are there rules for painting the German tanks with A/T shells, in order to intimidate them, and morale boosts for the Americans due to the pretty colors they make?"

Its under Oddball's Shermans
(2) NEW RULE PAINT ROUND If impacted on a building or vehicle, Paint Splash stuns (lowers Rep by 1) all enemy who see it for next complete round. It is so bizarre and truly worthless that the mind numbs.
(3) NEW RULE SPEAKERS – Oddball's Shermans ignore Clank Test when blaring music from Oddball's tank. It soothes them. The phonograph player must be on some special suspended gimble or it would skip.

"Any chance for a single point download?"

At this time, no. The Maps are too big. Someone suggested reducing the bit size, but I don't have the time right now to shrink them and then put them back into the document, then PDF them. Holidays traffic and all. Its easier at this moment to send you three part PDFs.

For Drew
"While perusing the rules, I noticed in the Minefield section that a mine only goes off on the first doubles rolled (and if none are then play moves onto the next scenario.) However, if there's only ever one mine going off I think it lets some of the tension out of crossing the field. I would humbly suggest that the 4" movement will apply until a mine is set off, then a 2" troop movement should be used with any further double activating another mine. After the first mine is set off, then a 1D6 should be rolled to see how many activations should apply before the Germans arrive to investigate. This might help the Germans arrive before an ambush can be fully set up and help balance things out."

That's true. I was thinking that the pressure of the german squad might be enough, but I like what you suggest and might include it in the next revision. Thanks.

"I love the film, and appreciate your fine work in this Paul, but I also see the need to put some more random action into the campaign to shake things up from the original script and make it more fun."

Well, perhaps in between the scenarios, a player can insert another French setting scenario in there for variety.

"Well, we're all crazy or we wouldn't be here."

vagamer63 Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2009 9:04 p.m. PST

Here's one for ya! Got any rules on what happens with the "jerry" cans each of the guys carries into town on their way to assault the garrison around the bank?

The movie seemed to miss that one! It's always intrigued me what they did with those.

Paul

stumer19 Dec 2009 9:30 a.m. PST

Also, I just remembered something else about the minefield scene, after the mine goes off everyone makes their way to the "Safe Path" from their positions. Perhaps that tactic could also be used to have the characters follow that example, and be able to increase their movement back to 4" once they are on the right path?

By random I wasn't referring to cutting back to the French Cafe, but I like that idea too! Maybe use it as a 'Beer & Pretzels' break for characters not used in the latest scenario on a separate board?

Thanks again Paul!

'Drew
studiobergstrom.com

Bunkermeister20 Dec 2009 10:10 p.m. PST

I may be the only person on TMP that hated that movie. It is not in my rather extensive war movie collection. It is even worse than the original M*A*S*H IMHO.

Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
bunkermeister.blogspot.com

Monophagos21 Dec 2009 8:39 p.m. PST

Your Eminenece, the other movie was "The Italian Job", the proper one with Michael Caine – I think Arrigo wouldn't have liked it as the Mafia and Turin Police were not portrayed sufficiently heroically or successfully – and how could England have beaten Italy at soccer?! :-)
Sadly Mr, Martin passed away on 15th September 2009 – Battle of Britain day – I know Arrigo, the Regia Aeronautica would have done far better than the Luftwaffe !!!!

Legion 423 Dec 2009 8:56 a.m. PST

Just FYI … I live in North East Ohio, USA … Tonight, 23 Dec., on AMC – Channel 32 … at 20:00 hrs(8 PM for you civies!) KELLEY'S HEROES is again being shown ! thumbs up

Paul Y04 Jan 2010 10:00 a.m. PST

Downloaded it – then just had to watch the movie again as a result :)
Great stuff!

Cheers
Paul.

HesseCassel Inactive Member22 Feb 2012 9:12 p.m. PST

Are there paint details in the pdf? I'd love to find someplace that has them rather than tracking through the movie…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.