Help support TMP

"Blood Bowl Pitch size" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

4,232 hits since 24 Oct 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Last Hussar24 Oct 2009 9:58 a.m. PST

I want to make my own (as I don't actually have one!). I've seen various square sizes quoted (1"- 1 1/6" – that make a difference over 6 sqaures of 1 entire square). Will one of you chaps, or chappesses, measure the square size for me?

SeattleGamer24 Oct 2009 11:37 a.m. PST

Why must you match "exactly" the official GW board square size? As long as your field is the right dimensions, the size of the square doesn't really matter.

The pitch is 15 squares wide and 26 squares long.

My game is boxed up or I'd go measure it exactly for you, but it really doesn't matter. However, from memory, I can tell you the squares are larger than 25mm, as a 25mm base had room to spare. I custom built some bases for the larger critters to barely fit inside the pitch squares. And remember wishing the pitch squares were bigger than they were.

SeattleGamer24 Oct 2009 11:52 a.m. PST

Okay … I took pity on you and went and found my game in storage. This is perhaps GWs finest game ever after all, so a bit more effort on my part was required.

An individual square is 29mm across. That is from the center of one of those black corner crosses, to the center of the next black corner cross.

Those corner crosses are about 1mm in thickness and 4mm long.

Hope that helps!

AndrewGPaul24 Oct 2009 2:37 p.m. PST

Why must you match "exactly" the official GW board square size? As long as your field is the right dimensions, the size of the square doesn't really matter.

If you're using the official acetate throwing range template, you obviously need the squares to be the correct size.

You can work out the range in squares of each range band (the throwing QRS does just that), but the acetate template is wider than a square, and this overlap is important to see who can attempt an interception.

Personal logo Ron W DuBray Supporting Member of TMP24 Oct 2009 4:01 p.m. PST

last time I played Blood bowl there were no squares on the field just 1 and 10 yard markers just like an American football field. movement was done with a ruler.

The Sentient Bean Inactive Member24 Oct 2009 4:52 p.m. PST

ok, the squares aren't uniform on the GW pitch, but as mentioned, go for 29mm or 30mm.

SeattleGamer24 Oct 2009 5:35 p.m. PST

I assumed that Last Hussar was going to make his own pitch because he didn't own the boxed game (rules are available free as a download if you like the newer edition). That would mean he will need to make his own throwing template, so he could go with whatever size squares he wishes.

However, there is something to be said for keeping everything the same "original & official" size.

magokiron24 Oct 2009 6:03 p.m. PST

BB pitch squares aren't all equal, as Sentiant points out.

Anyhow, for home made pitchs, it's usual to use 30mm as a standard, as this simplifies maths.

As for the ruler, you can make your own too, trying to keep the original's ratio, and if it turns slightly different, this hardly will make any difference, as long as both teams uses the same ruler, unless you are playing professional elves vs khemri, of course.

Hope that helps.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP25 Oct 2009 8:26 a.m. PST

As I read the fluff, no two stadiums would be the same.
In baseball, no two fields are the same dimension, and all have their own "ground rules".
So, if you are making your own, go with the suggested square dimensions, and make it any size you want.

Personal logo GreyONE Sponsoring Member of TMP25 Oct 2009 3:41 p.m. PST

What does GW charge for their Blood Bowl mats?

Last Hussar25 Oct 2009 7:20 p.m. PST

GreyONE that is possibly the most disturbing avatar I have ever seen- the fact that there is such a long gap in the animation made me jump the first time it happened!

Thanks for all those who helped. especially Seattle Gamer. I do have the official range ruler somewhere, so wanted to match with that.

alien BLOODY HELL surfer26 Oct 2009 9:56 a.m. PST

Grey One – I don't think they sell them seprately, but I think it was on TMP someone linked to a website that had various themed pitched you could download and print out. I've not got the link to hand I'm afraid.

alien BLOODY HELL surfer26 Oct 2009 9:59 a.m. PST

In fact, just google blood bowl pitch – loads of links of how to make them, sizes, variants etc :-)

The Sentient Bean Inactive Member28 Oct 2009 12:08 a.m. PST

Hippy John the OFM's got the right idea really. Just do whatever feels good.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.