Help support TMP

"China vrs Khazakhstan scenario help...." Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

Back to the Playtest Message Board

1,114 hits since 13 Sep 2009
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 6:06 a.m. PST

Thinking of doing a China invades Khazakhstan near-future campaign for Future War Commander rules system.

My problem is this. Khazakhstan will not last very long on their own so I need an intervention by a third state on behalf of Khazakhstan. I'm trying to avoid the obvious "USA" answer. Since its a NF scenario I have no problem writing off the USA as too broke, divided, or otherwise involved to intervene.

So who does that leave me with? India, Russia, ?

Interested in any suggestions for a single or multi-state intervention that might actually be able to give China a decent fight.

Thanks for any input.

picture

Katzbalger13 Sep 2009 6:32 a.m. PST

I would think Russia would be the obvious one--since they are still trying to keep their hands in the area.

Plus you'd have some similar equipment on each side (at least for the second-line stuff), which could make miniatures purchasing easier (well, for this battle these T-55 will be Russian, for the following battle, they are Chinese <whatever they call them> tanks).

Rob

JamesonFirefox Inactive Member13 Sep 2009 7:02 a.m. PST

Yup. The Russians would definitely be upset by chinese expansion into Kazakhstan. Maybe an EU rapid deployment force could be there to help the Russians? (If in your scenario the Russians are in the EU).

Dragon Gunner13 Sep 2009 7:05 a.m. PST

Russia would be my first choice.

If you don't want to use the USA perhaps the European Union develops some oil fields and does not want to lose their investment.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 7:53 a.m. PST

I agree with Russia – obvious choice

India and China are not exactly buddies, but I see major logistical problems in getting any meaningful support there

A couple of European possibilities – EU/NATO decides to help with the tacit approval of the Russians (i.e. they let troops/logistics move through Russian territory/airports) – second, Poland acting as a US surrogate (this is not as crazy as it sounds) – again with tacit Russian approval

coryfromMissoula Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 8:36 a.m. PST

Turkey, like Poland, could also play the role of Western surrogate to a limited degree.

They have tried to strengthen their role as the leading power amongst the Turkik speaking nations.

Top Gun Ace Inactive Member13 Sep 2009 8:57 a.m. PST

Agree. Russia probably makes the most sense.

India could try to take advantage of the situation in another region though, as Chinese forces are shifted to the Khaz theater…..

Personal logo McKinstry Supporting Member of TMP Fezian13 Sep 2009 10:40 a.m. PST

I agree on Russia although if the Khazaks are majority Shia, you might have a very well armed and supplied 'volunteer' force from Iran.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 10:51 a.m. PST

I have a hard time imagining any scenario where the USA WOULD want to get involved, even un-broke, un-divided, etc.

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 12:11 p.m. PST

Frederick, I had actually considered Poland as a Peace Keeping Force that gets dragged in, so no, not so crazy ;-)

Volunteer Shia/ Iranian Volunteers ("Muj") will definitely play a part as the war drags on.

Will probably go with Russia sending first troops first with Arab/ Muj/ Turk volunteers filtering in as War drags on.

I will come up with a type of random % chance that India intervenes or a German/Poland "Euro" Corps shows up at some point.

Thanks for input. By the way, for time frame I'm probably shooting for 2250-ish. Far enough ahead so that it is not just a T-55 vrs T-55 slug fest.

reddrabs Inactive Member13 Sep 2009 1:27 p.m. PST

If you go with an Arab/Muslim intervention – either heighten the Chinese response to "get it over" or delay reinforcements as I cannot see the Chinese not getting some problems in their western provinces especially Xinjiang.

Poland is more likely as America/UK/Germany will be loathe to input Tukish forces as it could have ramifications in the existing "Middle Eastern" campaigns.

I honestly can see US involvement. Sorry, John, but you get involved everywhere.

reddrabs Inactive Member13 Sep 2009 1:32 p.m. PST

Actually, I also see this widening – the west will not accept it so
Taiwan
Hong Kong's identity changed
Russia (in some way) attacked – I forgot to mention above that Russia would be very involved
the stance of India?

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 1:40 p.m. PST

Don't forget about all those natural resources and natural gas under the Central Asian basin – the US already is involved in the region, much to Beijing's unhappiness

I agree that, as a surrogate, the US would probably prefer Poland – just too much chance the Turks might remember they had a pretty big empire once before

Could well expand and there certainly could be some domestic trouble in China's western provinces, which given the abilities of the Ministry of Public Security (or Public Tranquility or whatever it is now called) would, I think, get real bad real quick for those questioning Beijing's line

mad monkey 1 Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 2:51 p.m. PST

Isn't the US using airbases in Khazakhstan?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 6:21 p.m. PST

I honestly can see US involvement. Sorry, John, but you get involved everywhere.

Not everywhere. I see the claim that our national interests are in Kazakhstan a stretch at best.
President OFM would say at his pres confeence, "They seem to be doing fine without us. Now, here is how I would fix the BCS championship, with a playoff. I would seed the first bracket with the undefeated teams, with strength of schedule as the tie breaker…"

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 6:59 p.m. PST

Dude. It's you what if!!! You can use any country you want to !!!!!!!!! Or even any combination of countrys !!!!!!!

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 7:01 p.m. PST

Oh and set it in 2039 just for fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uesugi Kenshin Supporting Member of TMP13 Sep 2009 11:54 p.m. PST

Very true Blue, but I always appreciate input from the peanut gallery ;-)

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP14 Sep 2009 6:59 p.m. PST

LOL !!!!

Dragon Gunner14 Sep 2009 7:42 p.m. PST

2250 You could create the 4th Reich that far into the future.

Personal logo Weasel Supporting Member of TMP14 Sep 2009 9:04 p.m. PST

In 241 years, for all we now, Russia might be populated by mechanical guinea pigs

Impact Inactive Member15 Sep 2009 6:07 a.m. PST

Or RoboHamsters!

If itīs more than 5 years into the future I think an intervention by India would be a realistic scenario. A cold war and fight for domination between the superpowers India and China escalates.

racingspider Inactive Member17 Sep 2009 11:22 a.m. PST

I agree, with it being that far into the future, you have a lot of time to alter "history". You can redraw national boundaries, fluff up a second American Civil War to keep the US out, or even reduce them to a "normal" world power.

There may have been mass exodus from China into Khaz in the last 100 years, and those people never assimilated and now want to join with China, etc etc etc.

Maybe Khazakhstan found some kind of new natural resource and became exceptionally powerful. The list goes on and on. You have plenty of history to play with.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.